UT3 Ued tutorials?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Despise

****** BY MARTZ FOR EXCESSIVE LICKING
Jun 8, 2001
Between beer crates
Does any of you know of any good tutorials for the UT3 editor? Im used to texture with the old one, but seems that its done in a different way in UT3. Ive searched for quite a few tutorials, but most skip the basic parts or are just from 2k3/2k4.

Point being; I cant even freaking texture a single fucking room yet! Ive always figured things out myself, but ive spend quite some time trying and nothing seems to work! :rofl:

And no I wont give head just because somebody helps me out!

UT3 Collector's Edition has 10+ hours of video tutorials.

I think that's the best answer there is at this point. :P

You need to create a material from textures before you can apply them to surfaces.

Ttheres a checkbox to create a material when you import an image, but for some reason the resulting material looks very dark.

You need to create a material from textures before you can apply them to surfaces.

Ttheres a checkbox to create a material when you import an image, but for some reason the resulting material looks very dark.

Care to explain in a few steps? Ive looked again and saw like 2 checkboxes which mentioned ''material'' but I still have no clue what I am supossed to do! :P

@Subz; I dont have the Collectors edition. So thats of no use for me! If only I knew that before I bought the game! :o

can u not "borrow" a copy off a friend? good to see ur getting into UT3 mappin tho m8y ....

/me sets his alarm for 6 years time ehehehhe

is it btw posible to select a ut99 assaultmap, transform everything permanenty, export it to a t3d format and import it in ued3?

tried it yesterday but it eventually crashed mine (Not enough RAM for me)

Nope, the error is misleading, and isn't actually running out of memory. It just doesn't work.

Point being; I cant even freaking texture a single fucking room yet! Ive always figured things out myself, but ive spend quite some time trying and nothing seems to work!

To expand on what Polle stated: From the brief stint that I tried to use the Editor without it crashing... in your generic viewer you should see a load of checkboxes on the left hand side, if you tick the Material and Texture lines, then select one of the packages in the list beneath it (e.g. HU_Floor2), in the browser you will see the textures (outline RED), and the material generated from these textures (outline GREEN). It is the material that is then applied to surfaces, not the textures directly.

A material is made up of one or more textures, then can have various other layers applied - anything from simple lighting to diffusion effects

Does any of you know of any good tutorials for the UT3 editor? Im used to texture with the old one, but seems that its done in a different way in UT3. Ive searched for quite a few tutorials, but most skip the basic parts or are just from 2k3/2k4.

Point being; I cant even freaking texture a single fucking room yet! Ive always figured things out myself, but ive spend quite some time trying and nothing seems to work! :rofl:

And no I wont give head just because somebody helps me out!

Basically subtract your room as normal then to texture using materials as epic now call them :D You need to go to your enviroment folder inside UT3. to do this ...but this is where it kinda gets a little complicated UT3 dosnt goto to your normal folder ( theres a technical issue not sure myself sooo the easy way i find is create a shortcut on your desktop to the enviroment folder )

1. Open up your generic browser

2. click open and navigate to the enviroment folder short-cut you created on ur desktop and open that up and all the packages will be there )

3.load the package you want and voila they will appear in your generic browser and click as normal to texture walls also static meshes are here to materials = green borders static meshes = cyan borders

Just make sure u have just materials or static meshes tick boxed in the generic browser list on the left

If you are struggling to find the generic browser its on the top of the screen next to cut n paste and after kismet :)

hope this helps if not repost and i will try my best to help out but im still plying about with it atm myself ( terrain grumble grumble! )

Big wave to the >MC< guys if your still playing reading forums :D:D