Ut2k4 Demo The official what do you think of the demo Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Pete said:
Thats a matter of adjusting yourself to other games. Play UT2k3 only for 3 months and u are adjusted to that, and u get the same feeling about UT.

thats not entirely true, i played quake3 and rtcw quite a bit and i never had any problems to adjust to those games.
those 2 points are also a lot better in XMP which uses the same engine as ut2k4.

Doc_EDo said:
Some guys complained that one of the maps where you attack with tanks is almost impossibile to ge through because of too strong turrets!?
well thats really low imo, not being able to finish map is weak already but cause of turrets?? :o

Doc_EDo said:
You'd think that's logical, but dont count on them getting it...
no offense doc.. you seem to know it all .. you should join epic :rolleyes: or wait.. create ur own ut2k4AS ;)

not.

if u wanna critisize ut2k4AS feel free to do so .. in a normal manner. you seem to just try and talk em down.

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
i still think launching from point A to point C is cheezy when the defense is all at point B defending. it sucks.

Sorry i know this was a good few pages back, but this is a laughable point to raise imo. If you are playing AS properly you are not going to have your entire defence in one place, leaving a reachable position (through some kind of launching) totally undefended. This, to me, just highlights the fact that you dont have any real perception of what AS is now, or perhaps what it evolved into. Frankly if your defence is all at "point B" then thats your teams problem, often described as "being shite". Im not specifically relating this to UT2k4 just AS in general, since i have not had chance to play UT2k4 yet. It sounds quite interesting from what i have read though :)

Rel@x said:
if u wanna critisize ut2k4AS feel free to do so .. in a normal manner. you seem to just try and talk em down.
I dont think there's anyone here that doesnt know what I think of Epic, but Im not here to tell that old story, but only to say something (relatively) new on THE DEMO.
Am I the only one here that thinks they dont do logical things, or that they lack of understanding for AS gameplay? I think not. Just telling it as I see it. Nothing else...no...really...Just look at these new scoring rules or time limit. Or lack of shield jumping, rocket boosting and presence of double jump (yes I made the same mistake)... They just seem like they wanna kill the fun parts and keep in the boring over-tweaked game. Reminds me of Deathball and DavidM. He killed all the fun stuff in it. Now its just a over-tweaked whatever gameplay and not fun any more.

Last edited:
Doc_EDo said:
You'd think that's logical, but dont count on them getting it...

Doc_EDo said:
Am I the only one here that thinks they dont do logical things, or that they lack of understanding for AS gameplay?

you know, its funny, but those same kinda arguments came up when your mod was being discussed.
its obvious that crampy, narrow, spammy maps fuck assault up, yet all the maps in your mod were exactly that. so where was that logic and understanding for AS in your thinking? now you have a go at epic for making the same mistakes (however still to a lesser extent than you did). hypocrit comes to mind.
convoy is spammy and i dont like it, but its still a lot better than any maps in your mod.

now im aware that you will see this totally different and you will flame me now, but maybe you think about what i say, im not flameing you, im just showing up that your the last to complain about them.

My maps weren't that spammy and without alternative routes (maybe some in my mod but not my maps), but you're right that I did make some same mistakes, like leaving the double jump in it. :crap:

Anyways what happen to me today on Convoy is really weird. We assaulted and finished the map. Then the enemy assaulted and finished the map faster than we did. WE WON!!! How? Another mistery or did I forget something, or was it only an illusion. I asked others they didnt know why either... :hm:

Last edited:
hm if both teams attack but neither gets last obj then outcome of the game will depend who got more objectives or same ones faster but it doesnt sound like that happened in ur case :poke:

ViPah said:
hm if both teams attack but neither gets last obj then outcome of the game will depend who got more objectives or same ones faster but it doesnt sound like that happened in ur case :poke:

lol thats just gay who invents such stupid things tie is a tie

As I have said previously, I love Onslaught and Assault is still quite good fun. But just wanted to say something about launching. Yes, to us it's a must, we all still play assault because we like the launches, but so many people I have spoken to in the past and tried to get them playing assault reply `oh no, not assault where everybody does stupid launches and ruins the game`. So maybe we are the minority here, and epic are catering for what the majority want, i.e no launches. Just read the Atari forums and you soon see how many people are happy with it.

So unless there is a mod/mutator, looks like we will have to stick to UT99 for assault...but i'll still play Onslaught on 2K4 though :)

Doc_EDo said:
How about low fps? I get loads of it in ONS but in as it just dives.
Also I heard some of the maps in retail are hard to finish. Some guys complained that one of the maps where you attack with tanks is almost impossibile to ge through because of too strong turrets!? It's gotta be resonably possibile to finish a map you know.

robot factory?

robot factory its pretty easy to get past the link gun turrets. going up against two turrets with one tank is certian death. but if you poke your tank around a corner and fire at the backside of one turret, you can waste them pretty fast

Sauron said:
convoy is spammy and i dont like it, but its still a lot better than any maps in your mod.

Pff, doc shoulda ported Gladiator and Vamp :D

That win really happened to me. Dont know why...
SXPower said:
lol thats just gay who invents such stupid things tie is a tie
Yes we had those suggestions for ut2k3as but I didnt want that to screw up the tactics.

With these new rules in case you defend the first part and enemy takes only half of objectives, if you take more objectives in the second part before the time runns out, you dont even NEED to take them all. That's stupid. The whole point of conquering the whole map looses meaning.

Last edited:
Personally I think it's a welcomed change, no map will ever be a draw again, including maps as spammy or as linear as Guardia. Ultimatley it prolly stems from the American way on sports thinking (no draws), and since you can't have overtime on an assault map it seems quite logical to me.