Ut2k4 Demo The official what do you think of the demo Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

omg this game is so fucking nice :x :clap:
i love it :D and onslaugh pwnz hard :)
and teh AS map sux hard...i hope in the full version are better maps lol....
who mapped golgotha, ballistic, bridge and desertstorm 4 ut2k4? :D

Well ive spent few nice hours on onslaught with few of the lads and we like :thumb: Also had few hours on the assault map,at start was bit lost but after few rounds on the map i got to like and yes prob is peepz just ruuning round finding there way at moment once its established and folk get to know it then it will be fina nd the adding of more maps in final version and eventually the adding of custom maps will make it a def YES for me.People sound as if they turn it on log in play the map for 1 round and say its shit pfff useless,and tbh most of old skool UT'rs are bound to say this anyways as they are stuck in there ways now with UT and blinded to everything else :rocket:

I had a bit under an hour of convoy last night... The first 30 mins or so I spent enjoying being a complete n00b again, and still getting quite a good deal of frags... It will have to get some getting used to I think, one thing tho:

If convoy is anything to judge by, all this bollox about 2k4-as not being spammy is completely false, I mean, come on fs, its a big spamfest and will be even more so when people learn to defend it...

I quite enjoyed the games tho, and I'm looking forward to trying onslaught....

Will,

Good job ffs, I like the (new) weapons and their power so I REALLY enjoy dm now on ut2004. Onlaught ownz m8.....
as far as assault I really like to see some tacs so plz pm me and show me some

later 'pex

as Willhaven said ..once you get used to using differnt weapons and the shield the map is far more playable right up to the point when you have open the side door and your attacking the nexus trailer ..LMAO after that tbh that seriously needs the minigun turret removing from the deffence above the nexus missle entrance lol or you can rack up silly kills with it .. and the attackers have no Rocket launcher at that point to take it out with ... so you etehr add in a RL or remove the turret or theres no way to get passed lol ... you can try and snipe the person sat in it .. but you can only hit them if there sideways ..even if you have a clear shot straight on you wont hit them ..

anyway im enjoying it alot more ..still think it would be FAR FAR better if you could do back hammers and boost dodges atleast so you can attack in a less linier fashion ...would still keep the objctives in order but would add a little more dynamics in game play .. coz it will get boring otherwise as there will be standard deffence and hold points that will never change .. and no reason for teams or clans to develop differnt techniques as there wont be any scope for them .

a few things id like to see are

1 hammer jump back in to a good hiegt and distance

2 boost dodging back in as it speeds up game play and makes the game dynamics more interesting

3 Sniper rifle rate of fire a bit quicker not much but enough so you can use it as a close weapon aswell as a distance seeing as you have the lightning gun for that or vice versa

4 Lightning gun more powerful and a slower rate of fire for it (or vice versa with the sniper rifle) basicaly make the 2 weapons significatly differnt so that they both serve a differnt purpous

5 if you have a mini gun deffence or attack turret ..give the opposing side rocket launchers or a some way of distroying it lol or its kill city for a player with a a good aim ..and people star leaving the server when they get mown down for the 30th time :P

the more i play it the more things i find that i like and dislike about it which is nice

Last edited:
Rich said:
as Willhaven said ..once you get used to using differnt weapons and the shield the map is far more playable right up to the point when you have open the side door and your attacking the nexus trailer ..LMAO after that tbh that seriously needs the minigun turret removing from the deffence above the nexus missle entrance lol or you can rack up silly kills with it .. and the attackers have no Rocket launcher at that point to take it out with ...

You don't neccessarily need rocket, you just need to inflict enough damage (~20 rockets, ~60 link gun primary, etc..)

its very very hard to get 60 link gun primarys into it tbh you just get slaughtered doing it .. atleast with RL you have a fighting hcnace

Is it too late to add something to the game? how about make a server mod that when its on, launches are disabled (like they are now) and when its off (and i can guarantee most servers will have this off) launches are possible. Thats what I think would work

even if it is too late to add that u should put it in the 1st bonus pack or sumthin :p

i like UT2K4 ALOT now that im used to the movement and gameplay. Maybe i would have done the same if I had played UT2K3 as much when it was released, but i think more Assaulters are giving this a try now that AS has returned (not in a mod state) and more people are giving it a chance

Yeah, turrets are a pain in the ass. One thing I would like aswell would be that you can lock on to a turret with the RL the same way you can with a player.

The 1st turret the attackers are under fire from won't be that big a deal in a clan war anyways. 5-6 players each loading 3 spiral rockets and send them on the way should take care it of at the start of the map, coz they have nothing else to shoot at for the 1st 10-secs.

But the turrets at the last car, especially the one over the attackers heads has got to go. It's hard enough that we need to avoid the turret in front of us, without having to watch for a turret behind us aswell.

Last edited:
GRRRRRRRRRRR.... I HAT ONSLAUGH... I HATE I HATE I HATE IT

playing with 32 bots on everage skill.... if you ever got no node left, you have lost.... its IMPOSSBILE to build up another core and destroy another....
i even played goldlike, all weapons AND ALLAMMO.... no chance

THIS SUX!
its damn unbalanced

why are ALL enemy cores blocked when you have no one left.... how to survice then???

stupid mode

i couldnt make up my mind about demo at first but after day and half of playing i have to say that assault has potential, have to see other maps first, what comes for convoy its far too linear for my liking, it might have taken a fair bit of time to create but i for one cant imagine playing that map in 6 months, its just too boring for that
i sure hope all As maps wont be as linear as convoy(fs will even asthno had more optional routes :P)
and i got the feeling that im a moron who has to be taken to next objective by the hand

about onslaught, i think its brilliant :thumb:
first of all, dynamic gameplay, thats the only reason im still playin ut As, every game is different, can imagine all the different tactics and teamwork used in ons wars
vehicles come with attitude, i can almost see big hairy balls between the wheels ;)
manta is my fav, very fast and very easy to handle
overall im impressed, there r small bits that annoy me like spawnkilling with vehicles for example but in general onslaught is loads of fun

sniper is far too slow and avril is teh pwnz, its just that u have to know how and when to use it ;)

With ONS i think atm most new players instinct is to all fall back to the core once all the nodes are down and defend, then its pretty much a matter of time before its lost.

The best thing to do i find is to make an all out assault on the closest node, because the second you get it back the sheild pops up on the core again leaving all the players stood there struggling to hurry back while you are free to grab the other undefended nodes, ive played in several games that have been pulled back and won in that way. Some great comebacks are possible with a few intelligent players on your team.

The vehicles in ONS are very well balanced too it seems, each having it own strengths and weaknesses, ive blown up a few of the heavy tanks in a little Manta but been owned more than a few times by the gunner on top of it. There isnt a vehicle thats so strong you can own the rest of them in. If anything is a little overpowered in ONS its the laser turrets.

Assault atm is still a bit undecided for me, im either attacking vs a ton of bad snipers camping on the others cars and win it in minutes, or it gets to the Nexus car and goes no further due to someone decent camping in that bloody cannon on top. Again as time goes on assault should get better, atm i think some ppl new to AS have this Battlefield 1942 way of thinking and think they are being helpful by falling back and just sniping...poorly.

As with most games it gets better with age and for me its off to a pretty good start.

Last edited:
Saytan said:
With ONS i think atm most new players instinct is to all fall back to the core once all the nodes are down and defend, then its pretty much a matter of time before its lost.

The best thing to do i find is to make an all out assault on the closest node, because the second you get it back the sheild pops up on the core again leaving all the players stood there struggling to hurry back while you are free to grab the other undefended nodes, ive played in several games that have been pulled back and won in that way. Some great comebacks are possible with a few intellegent players on your team.

True, this is a major point. You need the one node to make sure that you don't lose your core.

Another thing is that the AVRiL takes down vehicles easy, but when if you try to kill a player with it, it takes 2 direct shots on the player to take them down. Little weird innit?

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
as an attacker you can dodge jump off the top of your green vehicle and run across the tops of all the cargo to reach the boarding platform directly.

Do you honestly believe you have any chance of playing 6 decent snipers and making it to the objective like that? I can see the turret being destroyed fast enough in clanwars (else it's UTTERLY useless to take the high route) but even then the snipers should give you bare chance of using that route...

See the definition for me of "alternative routes" is that a defender should at least make an effort to check two completely seperate routes to the objective, and on convoy the defender can always have his eyes on all the attack routes possible.

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
the bulldog near the end of the map between the repair vessel and the nexus missiles can be ridden

yes and it provides no cover at all of not being spotted, let alone being shot off with a reasonably placed combo. It's a nice way to get to the last objective down low but before that it's almost utterly useless cus you get shot to pieces or knocked off.

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
voice... of... reason...

Why is it so hard for you to make the comparison with Hispeed? You have ample space to move in, when you do a (double) dodge the chance you hit something or drop off the train on convoy is 99% There's no space for a minnigun fight. The fact you can drop off a train by doing a wrong dodge is the same. And most importantly, the map is COMPLETELY linear, there's no way to take out other important objectives before others by good moves.

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
yes. thats one of the major tactics. ive often completed objectives because the guy takes his minigun and tries to kill my shield. I WIN. if he took his shield and hammered me he would have killed me. proper weapon selection to kill a shielded attacker is important. shield, goo, rockets.

What makes you think that any reasonably experienced player will ever make those mistakes in a clanwar? Wouldn't any decent player use the right weapons? it took me 2 maps to realise that bio was an extremely effective way to defend the first objective for ages, and i think others ain't much dumber then me.

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
also... if you guys still have problems with the map and finding tactics/routes... i can probably lend a hand or maybe start a server so i can show you guys how everything works.

If you think you can show me shitloads of really 1337 tricks that i never thought off then please, be my guest. If you want to find me then i doubt you'll have any problem gettin hold of me.

About AS, i reasonably like the weapons (minor tweaks needed imo) and i like the fighting, but convoy is too cramped and too linear for my liking, and a bit disappointing because it could have been much more spectacular with nice open spaces in incredible looking buildings to fight in. Perhaps the other maps are just that. It seems to me mappers can't grasp the very fast paced movement of players in UT2k4 because i continiously seem to bump into things every time i dodge. The fact i have to wait everytime i get butchered by a turret or accidently drop of the train doesn't help in the AS experience, even worse is the fact that you have to sit and wait while you are SURE you are going to loose an objective you MIGHT have been able to hold if you had the chance to just SPAWN.

ONS though, does the speedy movement justice with large open spaces to cross and fight in, i like the vehicles and all in all it's a nice mod. I do have to agree with Lord_M though that once all your cores are down there's no way to come back since two players, one in a tank and one in the laser turret can hold that core long enough to give the other teammates enough chance to take out the core. Well perhaps it's possible but it'll be VERY hard...

Conclusion: without launches AS really does end up in DM with objectives which is a bit of a pity imo, and AS-Convoy is a beautifull map that has VERY obviously been made by someone that never played UT-AS and therefore has cramped and poor gameplay imo.

ONS is a very nice mod allthough it has imo, not much to do with "UNREAL TOURNAMENT" but seems to be a new game on his own. Nonetheless it seems well made and it's (sofar) a lot of fun to play :)

Last edited:
the only comparison with hispeed is the fact that its moving ffs nothing else get over it lmao

i dont think launching is a problem hammer jumping would make it far better and give more options (like swinging between the rigging of ship swashbuckling style or grappling hooks lol to get across or up to places lol )
and better designed maps ..unfortunately Convoy isn’t a particularly well designed map in that its a one trick pony once you know it and the weapons needed ...that’s it .. there will be static defence points and the map will be another gardia
even giving it so you have to get to an upper level to get the side door switch .. with 2 routes of attack... i dont mean just having two ramps and a couple of boxes to jump on ...i mean a drop down from above or a lower route where you go deeper into the vehicle ... would make it more interesting tho that objective is extreamly easy anyway lol .....there is sooooooooooo much potential in the mod with this engine and it just seems stifled by a lack of options .. even adding hammerjump or hammer launch as an option might be an idea (i know it aint gonna happen as Epic have decided its a no no..)
just a simple look at Desert storm, frigate mazon and Bridge to a degree would have shown the mappers the diversity in routes that could be used .. liner maps just become static and boring with no dynamics ...at least with something like a Hammer jump or some way to get into the objectives by other means would give the mode far more than just death match with objectives.

at the end of the day its not 1000 miles from what AS in ut2k4 could be ..keep your eyes peeled for the UT2K4proAS mutator...........just hope i can figure out how to make it :p

Last edited:
and that was gonna be the next question lol

Is it actually gonna be possible to make a mutator/mod to allow hammer/rocket launching or will this be impossible with the way the whole game'ss been written?