UT2003 offical forum assault thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

OK, going a bit off topic here...

Originally posted by Phear
1) Launching: With no launching Assault will loose its appeal to a great many players.

Out of curiosity, since it seems to be the general belief that launching will be gone come UT2K3, does anybody actually have any backup for this? Tbh I haven't seen anything that would indicate this, other than the launching in UT being labeled as a bug (the bug according to Eavy being that momentum should be capped @ 2 or 3 rockets worth, can't remember exatly :) Never saw anything official on this either tho). In fact, the only "official" (as in coming from a DE/Epic employee) mention about momentum I've seen is buried deep in TetrisL's unofficial UT2003 FAQ:
IRC Chat on #XGR.com ETG with Epic and DigitalExtremes

5.1 Physics

<snip>

[19:34] <cygnus`> Will it be possible to send a guy flying 80 feet across a map?
[19:34] <[de]SteveS> yeah... lots of momentum
[de]SteveS is Steve Sinclair, DE programmer btw

So yeah, UT2K3 will have max 3 rocket clusters, but as we don't know the individual rocket damage yet, momentum *could* be somewhat similar to UT's...

Unless launching is totally gone of course, but I guess that remains to be seen :D.

u can hammer jump with the shieldgun!? so why not launch with it 2... and what the fuck will happen if u shoot a bounch of rockets(eh 3) on ur teamm8 with (FF off) if he wouldnt fly away that would look really stupid so there must be some kind of launching in the game... or what do u think?:rolleyes:

The hammer launch relies on a bug that causes the player to fly in the direction the hammer is set, not the direction the hammer is pointing, there is no way that bug would be carried over unless DE are very very stupid. That said you can do some limited but very difficult launches with a bugless hammer (I have fixed it and tried).

Rocket Launching will obviously be possible (Rockets without momentum would suck), and yes if they have increased the momentum of the rockets it will be of some use, but I find it difficult to beleive that they have increased rocket momentum transfer by a great deal (double would be nessacary to get the same momentum as in UT obviously), why would they want a bouncy game, with ppl flying everywhere when you hit em with rockets? Still until its released that wont be known for sure.

But herein lies the conundrum. If launching in someway stays and a new version of Assault was developed, it would bring with it the same problems it did with Assault. However, if it goes so does the appeal of the game for a lot of people. Launching was a reason (or part of) that lot of people don't play Assault, its also the reason a lot of people that do, still do.

So what to do? Well I don't have all the answers, at least not yet :D But IMHO whats needed is to create what was attractive about Assault, without the problems that Assault has. Substitute those areas with something else, whether thats possible or not remains to be seen, I beleive it is (obviously) :D

Originally posted by Phear
However, if it goes so does the appeal of the game for a lot of people. Launching was a reason (or part of) that lot of people don't play Assault, its also the reason a lot of people that do, still do.

If this is the case, the same number of people will play the game regardless of if launching stays or goes - if it goes then the ones who didnt like it will start playing AS again, and if it stays the ones who love it will stay also :D

why would they want a bouncy game, with ppl flying everywhere when you hit em with rockets?

cos its a sports thing maybe ? dunno just guessing. I for one would love to see launching in the assault mod that comes get made, launching hammer jumps made assault that little harder to master than other game modes and since new stuff always commin out (even after 2 and a 1/2 years) surely theres a strong enough group of ppl here who would want to play it with launching

Ae, imo launching made assault what it is now. Well on the other hand it's true that lots of people don't play assault cause they can't launch.

Personally i think assault as we know it has had its time, for me at least

ill wait till UT2003 is around first though :p: