Unreal Tournament & Radeon 8500

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Cazzy

vr000m
Jun 8, 2001
Hell
Wanted to open this topic a time ago. It seems that more and more ppl are getting the Radeon 8500 lately and as it seems everyone get's the same probs as I had when I got it. I'll give a summary here of all the probs I encountered with UT and how I fixed em thanx too other websites and ppl like MyM and Finsternis. I can't guarantee they'll work with you, but I helped already some ppl with it and with most of em it worked.
ok here we go starting with D3D.

D3D

When first I started UT with this card I did it with D3D and gave me a lot of stuttering. Dominus had send me a link of a dutch computer tech forum and they gave me this solution:

In your system directory of UT. Go to your UnrealTournament.ini and replace your old D3D settings with these:

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
UseMipmapping=True
UseTrilinear=True
UseMultitexture=True
UsePageFlipping=True
UsePalettes=True
UseFullscreen=True
UseGammaCorrection=True
DetailTextures=False
Use3dfx=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
UsePrecache=True
Use32BitTextures=False
DescFlags=1
dwDeviceId=336
dwVendorId=4318
Use32BitZBuffer=False
UseVertexFog=False
UseAGPTextures=False
UseVideoMemoryVB=False
UseVSync=True

Then open ur UT and see if it's still stuttering. It didn't happen to me anymore :D. ok that was easy now let's go to OpenGL:

OpenGL

I hadn't done a lot with this untill Finsternis showed me this link. Wich helped him but me a lot too. I'll put the lines down here.

First of all, make sure you have the latest drivers from ATI installed. These being the 3286 drivers. Get these here:

Windows 2000 drivers
Windows XP Drivers

Once they are installed then you need the latest UT OpenGL renderer from here:

UT openGL renderer

You must then place this file in your "UnrealTournament/System" Folder and overwrite the existing one. Then you must add the following to your "UnrealTournament.ini" file, replacing the OpenGL section:

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
RefreshRate=75
DetailTextures=1
UseTrilinear=1
UseS3TC=1
UseTNT=0
LODBias=0
UseMultiTexture=1
UsePalette=1
UseAlphaPalette=0
Translucency=1
VolumetricLighting=1
ShinySurfaces=1
Coronas=1
HighDetailActors=1
MaxAnisotropy=0
AlwaysMipmap=0
UsePrecache=0
SupportsLazyTextures=0

Play around with the settings as you wish. But if you want compressed textures, you must leave "S3TC" set to one AND you must have the textures from disc 2 installed.

ok with the last part ppl will have to download a certain Dll file called ATIOGLXX.DLL. Unfortunately the link on the rage3D forum didn't work anymore. Lucky Finsternis still had the file to send it to me. download the following file and place it in your "UnrealTournament/System" directory. I asked Martz and he will upload this file and put it here in my post.

Ok the file is added to the utassault site download section. This is it:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/cazzynl//atioglxx.dll

Remember! To avoid glitches in UT keep your windows and your UT on the same colour resolution. Those glitches are really annoying.

I STRONGLY recommend to use openGL with UT. It looks SO much better then D3D and aiming will go more smoothly. Trust me you'll like it very much.

If there are any problems left with your radeon you can post em here. I can't guarantee I can fix em but every fixed prob added here will help others maybe with the same prob. They helped me a lot and I hope now more ppl too.

Well that's it. I hope I helped some ppl with Radeon cards with this post. I'd like to thank all the ppl who gave me this information and files to me and will help now a lot more ppl too. Good luck with it guys.

Last edited:
well I aint havin a radeon but OpenGL in UT owns :D
thx caz for the help on my probs in IRC :)

hmm, i had the atioglxx.dll on my winnt/system32 folder allready

Thanks for helping out Caz, appreciate you passing the information on.

As you saw in my thread, I encountered the same problems with the 8500. These fixes have helped a great deal, but I do still encounter some hardcore slowdown on the odd occasion :confused: its getting better, and maybe once I've played around with a few settings I can get rid of it, but till then, if anyone has any further advice/fixes please post here :D

Yes indeed thx a lot m8.

I already fixed my most major probs with your help before (thx again for that). But good that you added it here and I will give my system folder another checkup.

What I think is the bigest prob of the radeon is that they don't have any good software. The cards rule, but the drivers realy suck.

But Thanks, luckely this helps a lot :rolleyes:

To be honest I haven't had any problems when using the Radeon from a fresh install. I copied the UT install over, and the performance is the same, but the stability is better with these drivers and tweaks. Doesn't slow down as much in mayhem situations with a lot going on, or someone emptying an AK clip into someones head.

I dunno about TO but in UT it helps framerate a bit to set HighDetailActors to False (0)...

Last edited:
err what's ur problem.. I know that TO is only a UT mod.

But the maps & models and stuff are different so I can't tell if it makes any difference in TO

Last edited:
They use the same game Engine CC ;). Anyway it works on both.

ppl USE OPENGL. It's completely different as D3D and way better.

If u dont have CD 2!

Okey iv'e been playing around with OpenGL for a day now..I have a gf2 MX 400 64 mb... On a arse pIII 450.

I've made the some good setting for peeps that don't have UT-CD 2...

first put this file in yer utsystem folder.
http://unreal.epicgames.com/files/renderers.zip

Then replace the old OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice lines by these:

UseGammaExtension=1
UseModulatedGamma=0
UseMultiTexture=1
UsePalette=1
UseAlphaPalette=0
ShareLists=0
AlwaysMipmap=1
DoPrecache=1
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=False
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True
RefreshRate=85Hz (put it on the RefreshRate of your monitor)
DetailTextures=False
UseTrilinear=False
MaxAnisotropy=2
SupportsLazyTextures=1

VolumetricLighting=False
Coronas=False
I've put these off because they just blur your vision..They give fog above lava, annoying stuff around lamps etc.

RefreshRate=85Hz
Only add this line when your ut does not give a steady view.

Always make a backup from all the files that u change. Just try it out. The best way to test if your fps improve is to take the same spot ( like inside siege tower and on top looking down.) and see what gives u the best fps. ( type: ' timedemo 1' in your console.)

Last edited:
got some extra lines to OpenGL render device from prophet

UseModulatedGamma=0
UseS3TC=False
UseTNT=False
MinDepthBits=16
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogTextureSize=10
MaxLogUOverV=10
MaxLogVOverU=10
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=False
ShareLists=False
AlwaysMipmap=False
DoPrecache=0
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=False
UseTrilinear=True
MaxAnisotropy=0
SupportsLazyTextures=0
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=-0.500000
MaxTMUnits=0
RefreshRate=100Hz
DisableSpecialDT=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseVertexSpecular=True
UsePrecache=False
DescFlags=1
Description=NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti

Im running fine with these settings, but i dunno why the S3TC option is there
allthough its set to flase it should fuck up my ut as i dont have disc 2 :P

well its running fine another prob is:

When i enable anistropy (level 2 - Gf2 ti doesn't sup higher levels) my sound drops totally over the whole game :eek: wtf :D
i know my Sis7012 crap is wank but what does it deal with anisotropy settings? :angry:

Despite all that here goes another fine hint :D

Don't set LOD below -0.5 because (for me) it causes massive pixel shimmering at medium range and as i can't run FSAA with proper fps :D i play with -0.5

aaand yet another problem, when i play offline i can easily have 200+ fps
but ONline it just wont render more than 85 fps (allthough vsync should act at 100 fps because screen does 100 hz) so wtf is that? it appears only online :(

Well 85 fps is not a problem though but frames would normally be far above 85 it causes strange texture stripes on the screen flashing up for a few ms while moving it looks like some problems with vsync but i have neither enabled it in ut nor in graca setup (geforce tweaker)

Last edited:
hmmm strange -0.5 works good for me...
And who's playing with FSAA anyway ;)

LOD stands for Level of detail.. Can't explain what exactly it really changes tho...
Has something to do with mipmapping as far as I know

as i know it ranges from +3 to -3 and the lower its set the better the mipmapping detail (ie the further the distance of mipmap areas) is
so shaper texture but if too many detial is senmd too too low resolution (often occured with very low lod and far distance it causes picxel shimmering (software-like texture flashing :x) thats all im drunk hard so i wont go further ;)

Originally posted by Cash

aaand yet another problem, when i play offline i can easily have 200+ fps
but ONline it just wont render more than 85 fps (allthough vsync should act at 100 fps because screen does 100 hz) so wtf is that? it appears only online :(

Well 85 fps is not a problem though but frames would normally be far above 85 it causes strange texture stripes on the screen flashing up for a few ms while moving it looks like some problems with vsync but i have neither enabled it in ut nor in graca setup (geforce tweaker)

I bet your netspeed is set at 5000, for me that sets the fps to 84-85, try putting it higher although for me that just makes me lag badly.

yeah helped me i've set it to 20k now and those texture stripes are gone :D

didnt have lag neither but i was alone on the server lol