Unreal Tournament Performance!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Ok ive changed a couple of things and am using that opengl renderer from the other thread ... OWNZ ... my ut is much prettier with a few extra fps so slight improvement ;) ill contact you paa when you online if ya will help me set up open gl :)

Yep indeed a voodoo will make a big difference to UT even if u have a shit cpu..

im online LATE tonight 007 qnet and uta irc

on ictf, my fps are real good
but on assault is really unplayable fs. small map is ok, i can have 40-50-60 fps
but last war with Ai on Bridge, i got 18 fps when i was sniping on bridge ffs.

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=False
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=False
UseMipmapping=True
UseTrilinear=True
UseMultitexture=True
GazzAimbot=True
UsePageFlipping=True
UsePalettes=True
UseFullscreen=True
UseGammaCorrection=False
DetailTextures=False
Use3dfx=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
UsePrecache=True
Use32BitTextures=False
DescFlags=1
dwDeviceId=272
dwVendorId=4318
Use32BitZBuffer=False
UseVertexFog=False
UseAGPTextures=False
UseVideoMemoryVB=False
UseVSync=False
Description=NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

:rolleyes:

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
WindowedViewportX=624
WindowedViewportY=488
WindowedColorBits=16
FullscreenViewportX=800
FullscreenViewportY=600
FullscreenColorBits=16
Brightness=1.000000
MipFactor=1.000000
UseDirectDraw=True
UseJoystick=False
CaptureMouse=True
StartupFullscreen=True
CurvedSurfaces=False
LowDetailTextures=False
ScreenFlashes=True
NoLighting=False
SlowVideoBuffering=True
DeadZoneXYZ=True
DeadZoneRUV=False
InvertVertical=False
ScaleXYZ=1000.000000
ScaleRUV=2000.000000
MinDesiredFrameRate=28.000000
Decals=False
NoDynamicLights=True
UseDirectInput=False
ParticleDensity=0
NoFractalAnim=False
SkinDetail=Medium
TextureDetail=Low

[XDrv.XClient]
WindowedViewportX=640
WindowedViewportY=480
WindowedColorBits=16
FullscreenViewportX=640
FullscreenViewportY=480
FullscreenColorBits=16
Brightness=0.500000
MipFactor=1.000000
SlowVideoBuffering=False
StartupFullscreen=True
CurvedSurfaces=False
CaptureMouse=True
LowDetailTextures=False
ScreenFlashes=True
NoLighting=False
DeadZoneXYZ=True
DeadZoneRUV=False
InvertVertical=False
ScaleXYZ=1000.0
ScaleRUV=2000.0
MinDesiredFrameRate=30.0

[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=10000
ConfiguredLanSpeed=20000

i dunno paa what i can do....something must be wrong.....maybe in this bios since i flashed it :(

Yeah so Paa i didnt mean lookin at a wall on a DM map, u are el cock mong and u talk shite :).

U didnt specify wot g card i had just that u cant get over 50 fps with less than a 1.6 LOL!

I was using a Voodoo 5500 at the time, gave me 80 fps on several AS maps np.

And im still not agreeing either, because mi mate Tim (stiffler) used to get 65-80 fps using a P3 833mhz and a standard 32mb Gf2 card, using OpenGL.

Back to the topic @ 007 ---> u would have to speak to Stiffler (unlikely till late next month) and ask him how he got these fps, but i tell no lies :D he did have very smooth performance in openGL.

Ok gaz ill be having some words :), well i just installed the newish :p: driver from the other thread but now the fps is like 5 higher on average i get shadows and coloured light sources on everything how do i switch em off? csu i have to concentrate much harder cus people in shadows are even harder to hit :O .

Paa knows a lot about the user ini's/ unrealtourni inis , ud be best to ask him.

He dreams up some other parts of his "advice" tho as i was sayin b4.

However as much as it annoys me to say it, for UT tweaking Paa knows his stuff, far more than i do (i know virtually nothing coz i just play with almost default settings :lol: )

sunshine + female students around campus + bikini tops

= a very happy dunc after his exam :D

Of course a voodoo5500 would give u great fps the game is optimised to death for voodoo's i have one behind me shame it wont run in this pc might run in yours tho 007 would give u amazing fps..

anyway with my 1.6 and gf2mx 32 mb card i get anywhere between 10 and 60 fps on most assault maps 36 looking at main gate

i "guess" a faster cpu would incease that score more than anything.

Looking at your stuff pun only thing i would set is minimum desired refresh rate to 85 see if that improves ur frame rate if not then something is wrong with ur pc cause in those settings u shoul be getting say on dm-deck16 150+ fps permantly

have u tried opengl ? d3d ran like shite for me =/

I'm running:

Windows 98SE
Athlon XP2000+
ASUS A7M266 motherboard (BIOS 1.08)
512MB DDR266 RAM (CAS-2)
GeForce 3 (original) 64MB
7200rpm IBM 40 gig hard drive
512/256 ADSL

Drivers in use are:

VIA Hyperions (not sure which version number)
Detonator 28.32s
AMD AGP Miniport Driver (Latest version(1.41?))
DirectX 8.1 (DX9 slows performance if you have non DX9 aware graphics card)
I'm using the DirectX renderer for UT.

I run UT in 1280x1024x32 on a 19" monitor (refreshing at 100Hz.)
All UT graphics setting are on / max.
Minimum desired framerate is set to 50.
Netspeed is 10000.
Vsync is on.

I've yet to see my framerate drop below 70 on any AS map, even on servers with 12 peeps in.

One thing which just occurs to me is that P4 systems with bad graphics cards may perform worse than similar Athlon equivalents with the same card.

The P4 floating point unit is much slower than the Athlon's, so in non-SSE2 optimised programs (like UT), if that program makes lots of calls to the FPU, P4's may be slightly slower - which I guess they compensate for by being clocked into the stratosphere.

Other thing to bear in mind is that the early P4s using SDRAM turn in totally crap performance. If you have a P4, you should really be using DDR ram or RAMBUS.

Its a scream - even with SSE2 optimised apps, and running a full 1Ghz faster than the fastest Athlon, the P4 struggles to yield even a 10% performance increase. :D

Last edited:
Looks about normal to me 007, I get about the same.

UT runs comparitively wank with a GF card... Voodoo pwnz it.

I can definetly advise using the updated opengl drv in the other thread for 5 more fps ;)

i was running a p3 500 and a gf2mx for ages, trust me your biggest way to go fps wise is a fast as fuck g-card, ive still got my gf2mx atm on a xp2000 fps anit too great on some maps, mate who got a gf4200ti and a 1800 gets on avg 50 fps more. 1.6 is plenty cpu if backed up with a good card and a gf2 anit that card

Originally posted by 007

3d benchmark 2001 SE and i got > 2734 < points

i have ....

Athlon AMD 1000 mhz
256 MB ram
GeForce4 440 mx graphics card

It sounds like you got a seriously messed up system then.
I got 3525 with my gf2mx400.
Test settings:
hardware t&l, triplebuffered, no aa
16bit depth, 16bit zbuffer, 16bit textures
Hardware:
xp1700+ , pc2100 ram, gf2mx400 (64mb sdr)

It's not great, but you can certainly get decent performance in UT on most maps, if you dont go for max quality and resolution.
I get more than 60fps in a lot of places, running 1024x768x16.

@ punawa:
I see you got trilinear turned on. Turning it off gave me a few fps extra. Try it.
Also you should be able to use medium textures instead of low, without much decreased performance.