Underappreciated Games

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Inferno

Greatness Personified
Jun 8, 2001
Canada
Well, I recently bought Breakdown (a unique FPS for the Xbox), a game that really didn't sell very well despite greatness and I got to thinking, "What are some other games that have been overlooked by the general populace?" There's the most glaring example in recent memory, Beyond Good and Evil, which suffered because Ubisoft foolishly released it during the holiday rush (they did the same with PoP but that eventually sold a ton of copies). A few more examples would be Eternal Darkness (GC), Ico (PS2), Rez (PS2), and Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox). So I ask you, what are some other games that were overlooked by most people? I suspect the list will grow quite a bit after this holiday season when tons of games will be lost beside the hype of Halo 2, Half-Life 2, GTA, etc.

Last edited:
Your point being?

Oh, and I forgot to mention Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, an awesome 3rd-person shooter for all 3 consoles.

Last edited:
The Thief series for PC. Thief 1 came out and got good enough reviews but it wasn't all that popular. But having played all three in the series so far, it's probably my favourite PC game franchise.

And the Commandos series too. A lot of people were put off by how difficult Com1 was supposed to be, so they never bothered getting 2 or 3. But I have all three installed on my PC now and I've completed 1 and 2 a couple of times each. Fantastic games if you like strategy and stealth. Similar kind of idea to Thief actually, so maybe it's something about creeping that puts a lot of gamers off, but not me :P

You're aware this is the console forum, right? :P

I kid, I kid. But really, there are so many games with tiny budgets released for the PC that there's almost no point in trying to mention all the good ones.

Diggers for the amiga cd32, I was one of probably 500 people all over the world who bought that console. Classic, classic game. Damn I think it came with the console...

Speech synthesiser for the Speccy. I won it in a competition. Technically not a game but despite hours of trying, the only word we ever got it to say was "Bollocks", which it then repeated very quickly over and over 2 octaves higher than we spoke it. Funniest and best time I ever had with a computer prog. Still makes me laugh out loud thinking about it.

Reactions: Martz
Underappreciated games are usually the result of bad marketing or a bad review in a well-known magazine even though the game is actually quite good. a shame really :(

I loved Hybrid Heaven for the N64, and I never saw a review for it in any games-mag. it had the best combat/leveling system in any RPG I'd ever seen up to that point! you could kick the shit out of enemies with only your right arm, and have your right arm at level 50, and all other limbs at level 15 or so. :D
And after a fully charged attack the enemy would fly off and you'd hear a very statisfying "HOAH!" coming from your character. Great storyline, too... too bad everything else out of combat sucked... I guess.

I seem to recall Hybrid Heaven getting 6-7.5 in EGM so the reviews may not have been terrible, just mediocre (which can be just as bad sometimes). But I never tried it, there were always other games in which I was more interested.

Breakdown and Beyond Good & Evil are two examples of great games with terrible marketing. Also, from what I've heard PN03 (GC) and Deathrow (Xbox) are great games that got shitty reviews.

I'm curious, was Cool Spot for the SNES overlooked? I wasn't really a hardcore gamer back then so I don't know how well it sold. That was a great game despite the weird license (7up).

Can't remember the exact title but it was something like "Delta 9"
You and your handy Tractor-beam-friend have to walk trough puzzles and slam enemies to the ground.
very funny game, kept me busy for months!

Inferno said:
I'm curious, was Cool Spot for the SNES overlooked? I wasn't really a hardcore gamer back then so I don't know how well it sold. That was a great game despite the weird license (7up).

To me its just a standard platform game with 7up crap in it....

sneez said:
Can't remember the exact title but it was something like "Delta 9"
You and your handy Tractor-beam-friend have to walk trough puzzles and slam enemies to the ground.
very funny game, kept me busy for months!
I think it was called Wild 9 and it was made by Shiny (of Earthworm Jim fame and Enter the Matrix infamy).

Lex_Mortis said:
To me its just a standard platform game with 7up crap in it....
It's entirely possible that nostalgia is making me think it was better than it really was.