UN debut for $100 laptop for poor

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Don't think it will be a success. What ever happened to pen&paper ffs.:rolleyes:
And the colour ffs, it's should have been white atleast, which symbols to make an end to poverty.(wristbands)
Guess they didn't put the enviromental effect into consideration aswell :crap:

yeh bollox I think they make the same mistake in schools already. The government has policies for how many computers per school child there must be and from what I've heard from friends that are teachers is that the situation now in many schools is that there are big fancy computer room pack with kit............

.......and shite libraries with hardly and books let alone new ones.

EDUCATION is what is needed and this can be achieved with books and pencil and paper. If you don't have a good basic education what use is being able to fart around a bit on a computer.

laptops to the poor....I mean for F..kkjdhdh sake!

You can see it in our society already....kids are getting worse at spelling, grammer, arithmetic, maths, languages etc etc and better at farting about on PCs. More people go to uni now that in the past BUT they choose new dosser subjects and are given good grades which mean nothing just so uni depts can get more funding due to increased numbers of students.

Good for companies who want little robots sat in front of computers doing shitty jobs but not much good for anything else.

To be honest I'm starting to think the Labour gov. is actually trying to keep the UK population as uneducated as possible....I guess this would suit them fine come to think of it!!

Shall we make sure the poor have better food, shelter, medicine, education (books, schools, teachers)??????..........NAHHHHH lets give em laptops!

bloody crap!

People are better teachers than books, computers or anything else for that matter. I could spend 4 days researching a topic in Uni or I could just go to one of my lectures and get the same amount of information in about 20 mins and maybe even a free cup of coffee.

Facts are all very well and good but nothing beats experience imo.

I can see where they are coming from with it. Its more that this is what they do, can they put it to a good use. Its then down to the funding people as to where they spend the funding.

Their aim seems to be education and not to replace teachers or someone telling you, but to replace many books with one pc per child.

As to whether its the right way to be doing it, I dont know. With not having a great deal of exposure to third world education it may be a great revolution, it may be a complete waste of money.

What has me horrified is this : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4445088.stm

" Literary classics become txt msgs"

The problem is less that people use txt speak and more those people who dont realise when they shouldnt. I have had to explain in great detail (repeatedly) as to why you shouldnt use txt to write a letter to a customer. This is a symptom of crappy education.

And I will stop now as I am veering off topic and will start to froth at the mouth if I get started.

Tough call to be honest.

I think there are better ways, like most of us noted.

But to be aware of a different world out there, a new look

See something you haven't seen before

We, us, Western Europe (exclude most of the US) we can't imagine

Most of us (here) know (not all, sure, you can't) but.... a different window

Actually something to envy I think

Reactions: -=TaRgEt=-