UK file sharing gets dangerous

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Martz

Staff member
May 26, 2001
It seems that the time has come in the UK for people who share music/software via P2P applications such as Kazaa and Bit Torrent.

The BSA is forcing UK ISPs to disclose 150 names of people in the UK.

And this week the High Court ruled in favour of the media moguls by ordering 2 men to pay damages for sharing "thousands of songs". They used the defense that they didn't know it was illegal, and that the BPI had no direct evidence against them. That didn't matter, and they were found to be guilty.

The BBC news story is extremely biased, in that it uses all of the BSA/BPI terminology such as "theft, stealing, piracy" etc to confuse and scare the public and it's customers into conforming to traditional methods of distribution.

If we carry on in this way, culture, innovation and art are going to be slowed down and burnt.

It may be true that sharing music over the Internet has caused a decline in sales (none of the music/software industries data can be used to form the same conclusion), however, assuming it is true - people will continue to file share until they are caught.

If artists are going to be losing money, and in turn not going to bother creating music - the BPI is hurting the music industry. Laws reflect culture and the majority of the population, not the interests of a select few or large corporations/industries. If artists do not get compensated for their work, then I understand that they are less likely to bother creating it in the first place. The Internet and the technology is here though, it will not go away and file sharing will not be reduced by suing people in court. It's just going to cost the tax payer and our country millions of pounds to compensate the music and software industry. Until we find a way to deal with this, it's a complete waste of money to fund what are essentially international interests (US media companies).

We need a solution, and this isn't it. I wouldn't be happy if my work was distributed around the world without my permission. But the way I see things now, I cannot stop it ever, it's completely impossible and an infinite task - one which is going to cost us an infinite amount of money in the long term. The longer this goes on, the more damage it is going to cause to society as a whole.

i agree with the fact that you can't stop the distributing of illegal software and music, mainly because people think that they won't get cought " it won't happen to me". I think companies should accept that they just need to adjust there profit percentage. the time off insanly high "profit per product" is just over. They should imo make it very easy for people to download via there way (legal). And let them pay a amount of money per month/year. so people know how many they will spend, which makes it easier for them to use the legal feature instead of the illegal.

but i guess there will be always illegal software/music because when people do finally succeed to ban kazzaa and bittorent. there is already somthing else to replace it.

Its pathetic that music companies like SONY moan about file sharing, piracy .... when they are selling cd burners, dvd burners.... and all stuff that u need to burn music cds or dvd movies. So they moan cos they (their version) dont earn a lot of money as they used to but in the other side they are earning a lot of money with stuff like cd burners or cd-r.

Remember rotted, that sony is divided into sony bmg(record industry) and the more techinical sony, as all other companies their no1 goal is profit, rememember you can do some other things with a cd-r than with just piracy :P

to be honest the industry constantly lie about p2p damaging sales

The uk cd industry has had another record year ok not the 8% year on year increases that they were getting 5 years ago but still an increase

so what has happened in those last 5 years thats has affected their sales is it p2p or other factors

well lets have a looksy at what happened since then to zap pples disposable incomes

1) more and more music is now on smaller independent labels so not sales for the big guys

2) DVDs

3) Games pc/x-box etc at an average price of £30:00

4)games consoles

5) Mobile phones

6) the price of petrol , council tax etc

7) the price of Drinks in pubs / bars

8) mp3 players ipods

9) pcs and components

and the list goes on and on

but no sales are down must be piracy we must all have an endless money pit in their eyes

I download games films and music from p2p and thank fuk i do saved meself loads of money

on substandard games Doom / Quake 4 / and loads of others that would have pissed me off had i bought them

cds you hear a track on the radio etc think that sounds ok download the album and thats the only good track on it

out of every 10 albums i download 9 get deleted or maybe i save 1-2 tracks but that 1 i liked ill go and buy

also p2p downloading is not illegal inasmuch that it does not constitute a criminal act

and You cannot be arrested, searched, fined or imprisoned for filesharing. they cannot simply search property at will or seize your possessions, they are private companies with no more rights than private individuals

Cassius said:
Remember rotted, that sony is divided into sony bmg(record industry) and the more techinical sony, as all other companies their no1 goal is profit, rememember you can do some other things with a cd-r than with just piracy :P
sure but we know that sells of dvd burners,cd burners or dvd-r havent increased during last years cos of those things that u can do with them appart from piracy :D

Ðeadßoy said:
... and You cannot be arrested, searched, fined or imprisoned for filesharing. they cannot simply search property at will or seize your possessions, they are private companies with no more rights than private individuals

Exactly.. we are all copyright holders in one form or another. The only advantage they do have is power in numbers by being grouped (BPI/RIAA) and a large amount of money to lobby UK and European Goverments. They can use the law to get their own way though, so the only way I can see any end to this are thousands of frivolous law suits against Record labels claiming that they are infringing on someones copyright. Given the precedent that was set in the High Court, it seems you only need to accuse those people are not provide any evidence.

The problem isn't so much that they are losing revenue from P2P, but one thing they are really losing is control and power. And that control allows one band to be hyped/marketed/promoted by the managers at the record labels, while others take a back seat and wait for their turn to be released - if it ever happens.

Controlling the media industry is as important to them as reducing file sharing. If they cannot hype their own products and silence everyone else through contracts - they cannot sell the shit they do to the influencable markets (kids/teens/genres etc).

Real music becomes popular by being talked, wanted and being in demand, and also because of a positive experience when someone listens to it. Not because they are humping some other celebrity or because they snorted 20 lines of cocaine from a donkey.

i find funny to see companys having a go against some lame p2p crap when i can get 100x time faster anything on newsgroups and it's even provided by my own ISP :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Penalties for the illegal communication to the public of copyrighted works, including software, can attract a maximum punishment of up to two years imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine.

so the arsehols want to put us 2 years in jail 4 p2p shit?

and a guy who f00ks a child get 6 months therapy......

WTF? FFS !!!!!!

imo...it is like martz and db mentioned
they fear that they loose their power to control everything

and btw...the artist get´s a warm handshake and a few cents 4 his work
and the big companys earn the mass

pfffffffffffffffffffffffff

they force us to use such stupid things like CD´s
u burn them once...then u can kick em
u can´t "delete" the files on it
and u have to buy always new CD´s ...over and over again

why didn´t they make something like the Minidisc as PC standard?
u can delete and re-write them 16242348375486279586576597 times without loosing quality

u can work with the data like on a HDD
if u want the first song of a album at the end...then put it there..no need to burn another CD

u can throw a minidisc away...and it still works, cause it´s coverd

and i´m sure...if they wanted to...then they would have made a minidisc with the capacity of an DVD in the last 15 years ....(i think MD came out at beginning 90´s)

all in all ...
we don´t have any power as long we don´t "fight" as a team against the big industries, and the gouverments...

Hail Eris!
Hail Discordia!

ØPÍÛM said:
i find funny to see companys having a go against some lame p2p crap when i can get 100x time faster anything on newsgroups and it's even provided by my own ISP :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Newsgroups hosted by your ISP are not anonymous either - and do not hide your activity from the BPI/RIAA. ISPs (in the EU anyway) will be soon have to record who what, and from where. And they will be able to accuse you of sharing without being able to defend yourself.

At the moment, P2P applications expose your IP address already so they have some way to identify people sharing files and start the process.

Used to think Sony Corp was on the game, now it looks like the future they foresaw aint happening for em...poor guys.
The time has gone when I would buy an album on the strength of a single, or press review.
I only use word of trusted mouth or happening across a 'free' download to testlisten new releases these days.
In these instances I am MORE than happy to part with my hard earned cash to go and buy a legitimate copy/version of the artists work.
At the moment though I think we are seeing the last desperate death throes of the traditional big player.
Long live the internet as a tool of free speech.

I would like to see a lawsuit where the stakes are even on both sides. Ie, riaa wants £70k compensation for downloading, say thats 110% of your total assests, I would like to see that they also risk 110% of the riaa`s assets iof they lose, would reduce a lot of lawsuits :P

Naturally, being a law abiding chap and never having downloaded anything illegally from Kazza, Napster, emule or any other of those file sharing sites, I know that if I were ever minded to carry on illegally sharing files (which of course I would never do), I would just do it on a private ftp or http arrangement with a few mates. Like we always used to do (not me of course) in the old days of cassestte copying. The music industry has ripped the punters off for years and don't like it now the tables are turned, but Madonna still earns a zillion pounds a day for doing what exactly? A little more even distribution of wealth might be nice in the music industry. Musn't grumble at CD's for 9 quid each though. Bargain in my book. And now for some more alcohol. Let the music industry keep at it. If it's playable through a soundcard, it's copyable. Not by me though. Oh no. Heaven forfend. Beer good.

Snuggs said:
they force us to use such stupid things like CD´s

Umm I for one (and ie. also a load of friends) have switched to MP3/USB long time ago.

As I understand it. If you buy a CD, convert it to MP3 and listen to the songs with an MP3 device, it's still your CD . So how about you converted the songs from a friends CD; Your listening to his CD, you just borrowed it.
Is lending CDs illegal?

Isnt this a soft limit ?

Martz said:
Newsgroups hosted by your ISP are not anonymous either - and do not hide your activity from the BPI/RIAA. ISPs (in the EU anyway) will be soon have to record who what, and from where. And they will be able to accuse you of sharing without being able to defend yourself.

At the moment, P2P applications expose your IP address already so they have some way to identify people sharing files and start the process.

well.. allthough Newsgroups are illegal, my provider tells me i can use 20 gb per month for d/ling: yiou can even look it up on the site (it's dutch though)

$au$je said:
well.. allthough Newsgroups are illegal, my provider tells me i can use 20 gb per month for d/ling: yiou can even look it up on the site (it's dutch though)
:uhh:

rite. That's not meant for "illegal" filesharing.

Usenet is just a legitemate medium like the WWW which can be used to distribute warez, in the same way stolen goods can be moved by road it does not make roads illegal.