Turning OLD PC in to a media player

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

zombie

Dead Man Walking
Jun 9, 2001
Andover(UK)
Hi guys.
Iv got an Old pc and would like to turn it into a media player.
I want to connect it up to a HDTV via HDMI.
(HDMI does the pic but would it also do the sound?)
If i can would like to control everything by a remote control (pick Film, control Sound, ect) (would need to buy)
also would i be able to turn PC off via remote?

what Software would be best to run this unit Xp or Vista?
and does any Media Center Sortware come with Vista?

Old Pc spec are.
AMD Sempron 3000+ (2MHz)
2048mb Ram (Pc3200)
Motherboard - KT600 - 8237
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
40g HDD (got 2 ext hdd to plug in - so not worried about size of hdd)

Is it Pos for me to Do this?
If so what is needed for me to do this?
Thx for any help
lee

Last edited:
I want to connect it up to a HDTV via HDMI.
(HDMI does the pic but would it also do the sound?)
If i can would like to control everything by a remote control (pick Film, control Sound, ect) (would need to buy)
also would i be able to turn PC off via remote?

HDMI provides Sound and Video
I got one remote with my creative soundcard. With it and it's additional software i can play movies, music and switch off the PC via remote.
With the remote i got with my Mainboard, its the same.

what Software would be best to run this unit Xp or Vista?
and does any Media Center Sortware come with Vista?

Old Pc spec are.
AMD Sempron 3000+ (2MHz)
2048mb Ram (Pc3200)
Motherboard - KT600 - 8237
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
40g HDD (got 2 ext hdd to plug in - so not worried about size of hdd)

Is it Pos for me to Do this?
If so what is needed for me to do this?
Thx for any help
The Home and Ultimate of Vista has a media center included.

But i wouldnt recommend to use VIsta with such a weak CPU. Especially not for HD content.

HDMI provides Sound and Video
I got one remote with my creative soundcard. With it and it's additional software i can play movies, music and switch off the PC via remote.
With the remote i got with my Mainboard, its the same.

The Home and Ultimate of Vista has a media center included.

But i wouldnt recommend to use VIsta with such a weak CPU. Especially not for HD content.
So what would i need to get to turn old pc into media player :)

Vista Home Premium & Vista Ultimate have the Media Centre built in.
Ideally you need a GFX card will full MPEG acceleration, Vista should be OK but turn off all the bits you don't need (including fancy window effects).

what gfx card would b able to do this?
(Cheapest one)
Cause don't want to spend a lot out cause I might as well get a little ext media centre

So what I need is new gfx card, cables, media remote, and software.
Iv already got a copy of xp pro would I just need the media software or would it be best if I got the media software already in xp (or remove xp and install vista)
Thx for help guys :)

Last edited:
Tbh, I'd just test some HD content on the PC before buying a new gfx card.. although you may need a new one in order to get a HDMI connection. Although I'm sure you get get a DVI -> HDMI converter (DVI is exactly the same as HDMI, cept it doesnt have sound), which you would then plug into your sound output along with it.

Cable wise, all you need is the HDMI cable.

I'd use XP media centre edition, getting a remote which is compatible with that shouldnt be too much of a big deal.. wouldn't expect you to need to pay more than 20 quid or so for a card and remote. I'd avoid vista, as others mentioned - your cpu isn't up to it.

Other option is just connect your current card up to a TV via s-video (obviously not as good as HDMI.. but i'd test it just to see if you can notice the difference ;)), and use a wireless keyboard/mouse - obviously not as neat, but tbh, prolly easier to use imo.

Last edited:
I was asked about this a couple of days ago but not really looked into it in detail so could be wrong :D

To use HDMI with audio youll need a card that either has its own sound capabilities (think ATI has this) or pass through capabilities where you hook it up to your sound card's spdif (Nvidia). Or use a seperate audio cable to the TV.

just to add to the comment about about DVI- HDMI converter. you can easily get a dvi-hdmi cable for as little as £3, the more you pay, i guess the better the quality, but dont know. I have one of my systems hooked up to my 32" tele, just on dvi currently but have been looking at the hdmi route for some time. I jsut use XP Pro tho. also bought a cheap and nasty wireless mouse/keyborad from tesco (yes tesco) was ~£10 for the 2 and does the job.

Oh and the sound issue, mine runs from the audio out on my onboard to the relevent jack on the back of the TV. I think MyM's comment about the HDMI will be right as well, but will say for sure when i actually get my dvi/hdmi cable that i plan to order in the next day or 2, assuming no-one else has given a definitive answer in that time :D

ok, so let me get this right.
using a HDMI cable, i would still need to use another cable for the sound.
DVI is the same as HDMI?
So i could then get a DVI to HDMI converter (instead of getting a gfx with a HDMI port on it) and a HDMI cable, and again use another cable for the sound.

The PC im on atm, has 2 DVI ports , 1 is connecting my monitor, so i could just run 2 leads from this pc to the HD TV, to get same result, this would save setting up other system?

btw,
For the sound, a 2nd cable is needed.
would this just be from the normal Jack in the PC or would i need a new sound card as well?

Im guessing that i would need a cable that goes from a "1 Jack" in to "2"
(green jack on pc ----> Which port would it need to be pluged into on TV, Got to places...
1 is with "Composite video" (red/white/yellow)
2nd is in "Component: Y, Pb, Pr"

Have also been looking on ebay, would this lot do?
just to connect mu pc to the tv.
5m DVI To HDMI Digital Cable
Cost £8
CyberLink Windows Media Center Remote Control Vista XP Cost £9.30
5m 3.5mm 3.5 PC Jack to TV Audio Jack Sound Cable Lead Cost £2.50
(Have already Got a converter that will change the Jack into 2

Last edited:
ok, so let me get this right.
using a HDMI cable, i would still need to use another cable for the sound.
Pretty much a certain yes...

The cable i have running from my machine to the TV for sound is rather similar to this one :) It goes from the audio out on the pc to one of the audio ins on the TV. you do have to pick the right one ofc. For HDMI tho I'm not sure yet whether that is the right kind of cable, it may need to be one of these instead.

So i could then get a DVI to HDMI converter (instead of getting a gfx with a HDMI port on it) and a HDMI cable, and again use another cable for the sound.
Yes. The cable you posted would be suitable too.

The PC im on atm, has 2 DVI ports , 1 is connecting my monitor, so i could just run 2 leads from this pc to the HD TV, to get same result, this would save setting up other system?
I dont know if that would be possible. From my experience (which is somewhat limited) the 2 ports on the one card allow you to have 2 displays of the same workstation, so unless u dual booted that machine with one OS using the TV and the other using the monitor i dont think it's doable.

Have also been looking on ebay, would this lot do?
just to connect mu pc to the tv.
5m DVI To HDMI Digital Cable[/FONT] Cost £8
CyberLink Windows Media Center Remote Control Vista XP Cost £9.30

looking at them i would say yes and yes, but would you need to have a 5m cable?

Im guessing that i would need a cable that goes from a "1 Jack" in to "2"
(green jack on pc ----> Which port would it need to be pluged into on TV, Got to places...
1 is with "Composite video" (red/white/yellow)
2ns is in "Component: Y, Pb, Pr"

I cant tell ya that (others may be able to...) without knowing what TV we working with. or if you can post a pic of the options it might make it easier :)

Pretty much a certain yes...

The cable i have running from my machine to the TV for sound is rather similar to this one :) It goes from the audio out on the pc to one of the audio ins on the TV. you do have to pick the right one ofc. For HDMI tho I'm not sure yet whether that is the right kind of cable, it may need to be one of these instead.

The 2nd Lead is what i sort of have, got a converter that does the same.

I dont know if that would be possible. From my experience (which is somewhat limited) the 2 ports on the one card allow you to have 2 displays of the same workstation, so unless u dual booted that machine with one OS using the TV and the other using the monitor i dont think it's doable.
not going to dual boot, would just install WMC into XP (or) Get a copy of Vista with WMC built in.

but would you need to have a 5m cable?
Yes cause my Pc is over the other side of the room.

I cant tell ya that (others may be able to...) without knowing what TV we working with. or if you can post a pic of the options it might make it easier :)
Cant find a pic of the back of my TV (Still looking tho)
http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/pro...GIK/L32LW783/805013#productInformationSection

Last edited:
I have used my old PC for exactly what you are trying to do.

I use a DVI - HDMI cable to my TV. Then just run a 3.5m to phono QED lead to my hifi.

I use XP MC2005 but Vista has the Media Center functions built in.

I have a remote control which is used with Media Center, although I also have software to turn the remote into a mouse by holding 0 down to switch between both functions - then using the arrows as directions which is handy, especially when watching iPlayer or Sopcast from a distance :D

http://treas0n.blogspot.com/

It is the 'Free Remote Mouse' on the right hand side - .exe linkage

I also run a load of Media Center plugins which are really useful, a few from that guy's site are great, also file browsers,free internet TV, sports, a couple of plugins from here - to be honest i couldnt even begin to list them all but if u search google there are a few forums that have actually compiled a list of plugins for MCE2005 and Vista so it's well worth having a look around. I even have google maps, google mars and google moon and an ebay plugin in there somewhere too.

Also, if you want to run .mkv HD files in MC you will need to edit the registry, I can pm the code if needed

I understand that if you run the Vista version someone has worked on or is working on integrating iPlayer etc into it, dunno if it was succesful or not as I don't want to install Vista and stopped paying attention :p:

Last edited:
I use a S/PDIF header cable from my X-Fi Soundcard to my 9600GT Graphics, then a DVI->HDMI adapter and just 1 HDMI cable leading to my TV. With the S/PDIF it will include digital audio into the HDMI cable. :)

Using wireless mouse/keyboard for navigating and OS is Windows XP. I also set my Windows screen DPI settings to high so everything is easily readable from a distance on 1080p. Not using any "Media center" software, since they're often much slower (choppy) with rendering 1080p H264 movies and the navigation in those media center apps doesn't really work that great imho. I'd rather use my own folder structure and select the stuff I want to watch from there using Media Player Classic.

Tried Linux as well, but sadly X-Fi fails with their drivers on it. :(

If i was going to now use this PC, its got a Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS
With 2 DVI ports, 1 is connecting to my Monitor, could i then connect the other one into my TV (using a DVI to HDMI Cable)
+ Cable for the Sound (would still need to work out which port it needs to go into the TV tho)

@Pin, Are u saying that i would not need Windows Media Centre?

Last edited: