The three minutes silence for the Tsunami victims...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Mmm. I think the point I was originally trying to make was this:

We've been hearing about environmental disasters all over the world, but particularly in so called "third world" countries for decades now. Most of the time though, they get one or two column inches on page 19 of the local rag. Anyone hear much about the storms and flooding which recently affected the Cayman Islands? Thought not.

What I object to is the fact that this current Tsunami damage would probably have received a lot lower coverage had it not been Christmas time. And its the whole hypocrisy of it all that gets to me.

As Jwer says - "we rape you 364 days of the year ... etc etc"

But worst of all is watching the scum in our government using it as leverage in their leadership tussles.

Knowing my own political pov and knowing Thur's it ain't often I get to same this but I couldn't agree more.

3 minutes silence is nice as a mark of respect, but a complete waste of 3 mins. I actuallty overheard my boss's boss saying this today as he was in disbelief as well at the e-mail from our CEO.

I think his words were along the lines of work for the 3 mins and donate the money raised as that comes in a lot handier.

Thuringwethil said:
Mmm. I think the point I was originally trying to make was this:

We've been hearing about environmental disasters all over the world, but particularly in so called "third world" countries for decades now. Most of the time though, they get one or two column inches on page 19 of the local rag. Anyone hear much about the storms and flooding which recently affected the Cayman Islands? Thought not. What I object to is the fact that this current Tsunami damage would probably have received a lot lower coverage had it not been Christmas time. And its the whole hypocrisy of it all that gets to me.
Hmmm, you might want to add that it's not very usual that this many people are affected. we're not talking 10.000 people anymore here, which is usually the case. I'm sure Christmas added a bit to the drama, but come on... do you really think with your sane mind that people just wouldn't give a shit if a natural disaster caused what..? 150.000+ deaths?
And yes, it sucks that politicians have to use it to look better, but whatever...

And paying your respect for 3 friggin minutes shouldn't be too much to ask for.
I am dead quiet for the full amount every year when we remember the victims in WWII, and I thank those heroes every year for their sacrifices. I think 3 minutes of respect and thoughts to our fellow humans during these times is the least one can do.
"But you could be raising money in those 3 minutes!"
Well do as you please, but donating money took me 1 minute, but I still haven't stopped thinking about the disaster and the victims.

Thuringwethil said:
Came across this on Radio Free Europe website:-

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2005/01/cc04b256-453b-4fed-a79b-0186b96ebf70.html

Contributions by Muslim nations dwarfed by those of Christian/Secular European nations. Why is that I wonder?

Have to say, I generally do not agree with this whole 3 minutes silence business so far. A chance to wallow in introspection and faux grief about an event which could not have been prevented - unlike the 2 minutes silence we observe for the victims of the two World Wars - which were preventable.

If people feel that strongly, calling the donation phonelines, or clicking on the donation websites or whatever would have been a far more productive use of those 3 minutes than just sitting there thinking.

I'm probably going to piss loads of people off with this, but it strikes me that this 3 minutes thing is just so that those not doing anything can keep quiet for 3 minutes and not feel guilty about how they are not doing anything else. What the disaster victims need is supplies, rebuilding help and better meteorological cover for the area. Not silence.

Silence will not make things better, only actions will.

again thur thinks :moon:

hmm Im prolly going to upset a few people here
I feel very sad about the victims of this tragedy so I don’t want anyone to get me wrong
and as for freezing their debt or canceling it that can only be a good thing.
but I am a bit pissed off about the amount of fund raising and money thrown at it
taking the money the government has pledged £750,000,000 .....
to my mind:
that’s a lot of dialysis machines ( the Q.E. in brum has 20 which 60 people use a day leaving 1000+ without everyday people die because of it.)

( I did do a list which I have deleted and left one example as Im sure everyone can raise something they know needs money spending on it that is close to them personally..)

Zeitgeist aid its a strange feeling that has grown in me tbh as I do feel like we should be doing something to help the tsunami victims
but at the same time I think fucking hell every year thousands of people die due to lack of facilities/funds in the UK and we do nothing.
so Im sorry if this sounds harsh but id like to see that kind of money ploughed into resources in the UK to help people in need here.

Im sure Im gonna get a bashing for this...

Rich

what does that mean ?

the 750mil going in aid comes from our taxes...

Last edited:
I donated to the Tsunami fund before any mention ws made of any government contribution. We each already contribute to every health cause in the UK if we pay taxes. Obviously people are free to contribute extra to causes that they feel personally touched by.

i agree with everything you are saying .. its great that people feel touched by what has happend and give of thier choice..

what im saying is how can a government justify giving 750mil in aid when it cant afford to sort out its own domestic problems.

oh I see. Dunno. I've never thought a government felt the need to justify anything it did in the pusuit of votes because they're all cnuts.

Rich said:
i agree with everything you are saying .. its great that people feel touched by what has happend and give of thier choice..

what im saying is how can a government justify giving 750mil in aid when it cant afford to sort out its own domestic problems.

well i feel the same, but in fact you justified it yourself by voting in a democratcy

anyway it looks like i disagree with you but i actually feel exactly the same