The reason of good sniping!!?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

mousesens 4.0 and mouse speed around 3/4 here.

i was considered one of the best snippers in the league around a year ago. one of the best considering my ping (round 150 f6) / comp specs. when i started working ( on a lan ) i moved from a PIII 500 / 3D Prophet2 mx400 with SDR RAM ( @ home ) to a p4 1.7 to 2Ghz / AMD XP 1.6 to 2.0Ghz with gf2 mx400/gf4 mx440 with DDR RAM ( it depends on wich comp im able to play on the lan ) my snipping improved much till the point i mentioned. even though before that, i already was considered one of the best ( others words not mine ).

to me, i think it depends on ur will to play, hours u spend playing online (to get used to ping) at that time i played around 8/12h a day straight. and played only with snipper no other weapons. played also iCTF much to improve aim ( sometimes on servers where i would get ping 120/130 f6 to get same conditions as the league servers of uta ). it also depends on ur own reflexes, ping, awereness and the amount of fps u get, to me higher fps, more smooth the game goes, higher accuracy.

nowadays, i play even worse than before and not even my snipper is "calibrated" anymore :'( system specs are the same, ping is the same, mouse is the same, sens/speed i use is the same, only reason i figure for playing worse is that i hardly play pubs nowadays. so i guess, that the main factor is actually the amount of play u get, instead of all ur dodgy/l33t comps, mousesens, etc...

just my 2 cents...

i couldnt use low mouse speed
i have a very small desk with hardly any space to move the mouse around

so i used 6.0

even then still nearly broke my hand trying to turn round quick if someone dodged behind me:D

i for one really think a different card affects your game

my v7100 allowed good sniping but pretty wank minigunning (with this card i never had any problems with sniping underwater even with high ping)

but with the ti4200 and the ti4280 i now have sniping underwater has become very hard. shots when i am 1 inch behind somebody often miss (and i even have a lower ping now then i had in those days)
Also my ut didnt stutter with the v7100 and the ti4200, now that i have the ti4280 ut performance has actually gone down.

Speaking out of personal experience i can tell you that the ti4280 i have will absolutely be the last nvidea i ever have (and the fucking card is only 1 month old). If anybody has a good ati8500 which he wants to trade for a ti4280, 1 month old hardly used with the works (games/cables/original box) pls contact me on icq

Mouse surface/mousetype, I noticed improvement on my sniping since I got myself an optical mouse and a mousepad instead of just using the desk

fs I had a 8500 retail built by ati b4 and I sucked @sniping.. now I got a 9700 pro and I still suck @sniping :bawling: mebbe shuld get a 9800 256 instead:D hmm or w8 untill adsl finds it's way 2 the woods :P
I even got a fan built in my mouse 2 give sum extra cooling 2 my hand :D

Last edited:
:lol: @ armageddon.... i was actually active in the league a year ago, and ive never heard of ya.. maybe you were "one of the best" in like div 4 or something (no offense to div 4 ppl or anything) but.. lol get over yerself

Good sniping is all about prediction and mouse control. Nowt to do with reflexes - altho they can help in some situations (this is camping sniping im on about now.. not dodgin about jus goin for kills, thats more like insta play), the sensitivity you use - as long as it isnt stupidly high - wont make much difference for sniping, since its what your used to, but if you cant adjust minute amounts at a time (ie, 1 or 2 pixels) then your sens is too high. Aint saying im the best sniper in the world, but thats what its about IMO.

@ uzi : i dint said i considered myself one of the best snippers in the league. actually i think of myself more a lucky bastard that doesnt shit than anything else. like i said, others thought i was 1 of the best, and @ that time we got to 3rd or 4th place in div3 till summer came and we lost our main team. i recall beating SWYM 8-5 wich imho was the best )[IDC]( match ever ( mostly due to SWYM ).

u prob never heard of me cuz u never pld us... prob that, i guess... but the point is and i still affirm it, for me the reason for best snipping aint gfx cards or anything, just practise, hours spent playing and getting used to ur gameplay, but most importantlly i repeat, many hours spent playing.

i recall seeing most of the best snippers of the league playing day and night, not only those but all great players. without that, ull never get high enough.

but like i said, just my 2 cents.

several people have asked me how I set the mouse sensitivity bind to my side mouse buttons, I think its already in forums somewhere but here's what I did:

Aliases[29]=(Command="set engine.input MouseX axis aMouseX speed=2 | set engine.input MouseY axis aMouseY speed=2 | set input Tab mousespdhigh",Alias=mousespdlow)
Aliases[30]=(Command="set engine.input MouseX axis aMouseX speed=5 | set engine.input MouseY axis aMouseY speed=5 | set input Tab mousespdlow",Alias=mousespdhigh)
LeftMouse=Fire
RightMouse=AltFire
MiddleMouse=ijump
Tab=mousespdlow

hope that helps.... :)

i sometimes take newer players on a private server and train them in using the sniper and other weapons, and i always tell them to use weapon hidden and lower their mouse sens to as low as they can handle, and sofar i've ALWAYS seen amazing improvement in hit ratio. Also movement (strafing GOOD) is VERY important for flat surface sniping, because that's basically what any high sens person will do, strafe to aim...

and to hop in on the "Dj got better" discussion, i remember Dj shouting "I LOVE MY NEW GFX CARD!!" on publics like 2000 times and his sniping got shitloads better in the weeks after he kept shouting that :moon:

it shouldn't actually be the gfx card, but the fps ur having? lol

and yes Jwer, when I was at Slaine's place and I was playing sum with his ini I just about fell down. lol, my sensitivity was roughly 3.5 times faster :p:

I can't lower it anymore, I lose all advantage of reflex I have in close combat. (spastic "lucky shot" movement pwns all)

DaStyla said:
maybe its a mix of

skills
ping
pc-stuff (gc, mouse, ...)

:beer:

Hm, with the ping is very individual i think, some1 aren't that sensitive to high/low ping. Though I am:( Same goes for insta 2.
Any1 know what the f6 ping is about? it annoys me because it always so much higher than f1 :P
Volt is a tit btw :)

f1 - you > server
f6 - you > server > you

f6 is your true ping and any f6 ping under about 120-150 is more than playable found f1 ping means fuck all in ut

jwer_NL said:
i sometimes take newer players on a private server and train them in using the sniper and other weapons, and i always tell them to use weapon hidden and lower their mouse sens to as low as they can handle, and sofar i've ALWAYS seen amazing improvement in hit ratio. Also movement (strafing GOOD) is VERY important for flat surface sniping, because that's basically what any high sens person will do, strafe to aim...

Im guessin u dont train them to use a minigun then? You come use a low sens against my mini and see how good u do :lol:. Only thing lower sens makes a difference for is when ur camping in a far away corner some where like a little homo ... oh yeh thats how u play ... soz jwer :fingers::sofa:

Minigun = PC simple as really got decent fps u own with mini

i was the worst minigunner around why i always sniped got new pc this week and guess what my minigun is 10 times better

Would say it goes like this -

Ping > Pc > Luck > Skills