The Hobbit

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

html

<B>When i grow up i wanna be like Gandalf The Grey
Jan 28, 2005
Canada

Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Thorin Oakenshield, Dwalin, Balin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori, and Ori. The two youngest are Fili and Kili. Thorin is royalty.

Thorin Oakenshield inherited the name Oakenshield after the battle at Moria between the Dwarves and the Goblins. His shield was cloven, so he used an oak branch to defend himself, hence the name.

Fili and Kili, brothers, are Thorin's sister, Dis' children. Hence they are his nephews.

Oin and Gloin are brothers, and Gloin also has a very important son, Gimli who plays a crucial role in The Lord of the Rings.

Dwalin and Balin are brothers. Balin attempts to retake Moria and is slain by a goblin scout as he gazes into the Mirrormere.

Dori, Ori, and Nori are brothers.

Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur are the last dwarves. They are relatively minor characters except for Bombur. He has a significant role in the fact that he is so fat and is a special friend to Bilbo.

Last edited:
i look forward to the film but tbh although pete is a fan he is gonna fuck it up like he did with the trilogy, but then again books are always > films!

John%20Howe%20-%20Beorn.jpg

the magic returns!! :D
I saw this vid last week on facebook.. very nice :D

2 things im really curious for: What will smaug look like and will it talk? and what will Beorn look like (especially when he looks like a bear).. For the rest I totally trust Peter Jackson ;)

The Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt is cast as Beorn in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit film project. Beorn never actually shape-shifts between man and bear-form during the narrative of The Hobbit book: he is encountered in both forms, but his actual transformation appears "off-screen", away from the point of view of the main characters. Comments made by Weta Workshop indicate that in the adaptation, Beorn's transformation from man to bear will be a major special effects sequence.

That's not cooll I think.. Leave it to the imagination of the viewers (or perhaps in the extended edition ;))

Last edited:
Persbrandt was arrested this past week for possession of cocaine, which means he won't get a work visa in NZ - gl getting some scenes with him :D

the magic returns!! :D
I saw this vid last week on facebook.. very nice :D

2 things im really curious for: What will smaug look like and will it talk? and what will Beorn look like (especially when he looks like a bear).. For the rest I totally trust Peter Jackson ;)

That's not cooll I think.. Leave it to the imagination of the viewers (or perhaps in the extended edition ;))

not even in the ee!

the silmarillion could honestly be 10 000 movies if not more with all the material in there

well actually hmm the whole LOTR is resumed in the Silmarillion in 2.5 pages and it has 384 pages sooo yeah the sil could make.... roughly 153.. 3 hours movies not 10 000 sorry.

Anyway what i envisionned for the Sil would be a TV show about a small part of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_Húrin

I highly suggest reading that book or The Silmarillion because I believe this story, inspired by Finnish Icelandic and Germanic mythology, is the greatest humanity has produced.

the spoiler below is how i envision the 5 seasons could be, although it contains huge spoilers of "The Children of Hurin's" story so if you wanna read it someday, don't open the spoiler tag!

Basically Turin's father Hurin (see my signature) stands up to Morgoth (the prime evil, Sauron's boss) even after being captured and smack talks him. So Morgoth curses him and his family. Especially his son Turin.

The first season could be about Turin's infancy from human noblemen to near beggar after his father is captured and his country ruled by foreign evil men.

Second season could be his teenage years and progression into a man while in a protected elven kingdom and his eventual escape (running away because he inadvertantly killed a noble elf cuz of the curse).

Third season could be his life has a leader of a group of outlaws and encounter with the dwarves of Amon Rhudh the climax of this season would be epic as he would murder his best elf friend (from season 2) once again by accident, when his friend is delivering him from orcs who had captured him because of dwarf treachery.

Fourth season would be his rise in power in yet another different elven kingdom where he makes the hidden kingdom fight in the open drawing the ire of Morgoth who sens his dragon Glaurung to rape the city. Glaurung also puts a spell on Turin paralysing him and preventing him from saving his elven princess gf.

Fifth and final season would be Turins life amongst woodsmen where he among other things, marries and sleeps with his sister (he only met her as a baby) causes the death of the woodsmen leader, the ruin of the small woodsmen community, kills glaurung breaking the spell that dragon put on his sister, his sister realises the truth and jumps into a ravine to her death, then Turin kills himself by voluntarely falling on his sword....

that would be the most epic TV show EVER!

Last edited:
tbh cant even remember the story of children of hurin even though i read it. Guess it didnt really make a lasting impression on me ;)

the silmarillion could honestly be 10 000 movies if not more with all the material in there

well actually hmm the whole LOTR is resumed in the Silmarillion in 2.5 pages and it has 384 pages sooo yeah the sil could make.... roughly 153.. 3 hours movies not 10 000 sorry.

Anyway what i envisionned for the Sil would be a TV show about a small part of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_Húrin

I highly suggest reading that book or The Silmarillion because I believe this story, inspired by Finnish Icelandic and Germanic mythology, is the greatest humanity has produced.

the spoiler below is how i envision the 5 seasons could be, although it contains huge spoilers of "The Children of Hurin's" story so if you wanna read it someday, don't open the spoiler tag!

Basically Turin's father Hurin (see my signature) stands up to Morgoth (the prime evil, Sauron's boss) even after being captured and smack talks him. So Morgoth curses him and his family. Especially his son Turin.

The first season could be about Turin's infancy from human noblemen to near beggar after his father is captured and his country ruled by foreign evil men.

Second season could be his teenage years and progression into a man while in a protected elven kingdom and his eventual escape (running away because he inadvertantly killed a noble elf cuz of the curse).

Third season could be his life has a leader of a group of outlaws and encounter with the dwarves of Amon Rhudh the climax of this season would be epic as he would murder his best elf friend (from season 2) once again by accident, when his friend is delivering him from orcs who had captured him because of dwarf treachery.

Fourth season would be his rise in power in yet another different elven kingdom where he makes the hidden kingdom fight in the open drawing the ire of Morgoth who sens his dragon Glaurung to rape the city. Glaurung also puts a spell on Turin paralysing him and preventing him from saving his elven princess gf.

Fifth and final season would be Turins life amongst woodsmen where he among other things, marries and sleeps with his sister (he only met her as a baby) causes the death of the woodsmen leader, the ruin of the small woodsmen community, kills glaurung breaking the spell that dragon put on his sister, his sister realises the truth and jumps into a ravine to her death, then Turin kills himself by voluntarely falling on his sword....

that would be the most epic TV show EVER!

i like tolkien but greek mithology owns him big time

Easter Update

Just arrived at our four-day Easter break, which will be a nice time to recharge batteries and do a few script tweaks for future scenes.

We always find there are three distinct phases in the life of a film script. First, it exists before the film starts shooting. In this period, which can last from months to years, the script is a theoretical document—an imaginative version of the movie.

Then you start shooting and things come much more into focus—usually in a very positive way. We now have actors who bring their skill to the roles and suddenly we see the characters in a more vivid and tangible way. This is both fun and satisfying, and always inspires us to embark on constant script revisions to meet the renewed potential these characters now have. I feel that much of the best writing happens during this period, but it does make a very busy time—very, very busy! Sometimes we have gotten these revisions to the actors a little late. We constantly joke to Ian McKellen that tomorrow's script pages will be slid under his door sometime the night before... and sometimes that has been true.

The worst case of this came during The Fellowship of the Ring, when we revised Boromir's long speech about Mordor at the last minute and only got it to Sean Bean on the day it was being shot. Sean handled it very cleverly—if you look at the movie, you'll see he occasionally has his head bowed, as if dealing with the emotional weight of the horrors of Mordor. In actual fact, the new script page had been taped to his knee! By the time we were done with several takes and a few different camera angles, Sean had the speech down pat, and it was mainly those takes that were used in the final cut.

The final writing phase comes in post-production, when you edit the movie. No matter what you were imagining when you wrote the script, and what you imagined during the shoot, nothing now matters beyond the actual cut film. We often find that script work continues during post, including writing and shooting new scenes, reorganising the order of scenes, or recording additional dialogue to slip into shots. We do all of these things, and the writing only stops when the film is finally finished.

Many thanks for all the comments about the first posts. A few common questions have come up and I'll answer some of those over the break. Now to get back to the script for those Rivendell scenes we have coming up...

Cheers,

Peter J

I loved The Hobbit and LOTR when I was younger but I tried Silmarillion and got nowhere with it. Problem is it's like a mythology / history book, rather than a story. With no real characters in the same way as the other books had, movies or TV adaptations would be difficult. Certainly I can't see Jackson making any Silmarillion movies. LOTR fans want quests and characters and battles, etc. not a docu-fantasy.

in the first min of the blog, the old LOTR feeling came back, memories!!!
cant wait to see the hobbit

I loved The Hobbit and LOTR when I was younger but I tried Silmarillion and got nowhere with it. Problem is it's like a mythology / history book, rather than a story. With no real characters in the same way as the other books had, movies or TV adaptations would be difficult. Certainly I can't see Jackson making any Silmarillion movies. LOTR fans want quests and characters and battles, etc. not a docu-fantasy.

there are 2 stories in the silm that are closer to LOTR

the story of Beren and Luthien, the first union of a man and an elf. Beren and Luthien are common ancestors of Elrond Arwen Aragorn... and suffise to say many others.

and the story of the children of Hurin (see my wikipedia link in the previous post)

the rest of the silm is indeed a bombardment of information where every 5 pages you get as much epic and important events as the whole of LOTR

The stories in the Sil though not fleshed out are far more interesting premises for films than the Hobbit or the LOTR. The Hobbit and T LOTR basically tell the tale of the end of the Third age.
The Story of Melkor and the fall of Sauron would make epic movie prequels, though you would have to condense and ignore huge amount as the tale would span thousands of years.