Survivor #4 - The Match!!!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
-=-=-

SURVIVOR NIGHT #4

-=-=-

Welcome to html's Survivor #4! They said it couldn't happen! They may yet be right!

Presented by - html :hm:
Broadcasted by - Banshee :ban: & Useless :done: (TBC)
Somethinged by - Timo :stupid:
Sighed at by - MyM :calm:

Unlike the last Survivor, this event will not be played in honour of Mym. Quite the opposite: this event has been designed specifically to piss him off. All Mym-related flames are welcome, and no-one has to wear his stupid fat ugly skin any more. If these rules change someone else will let you know, as I will have been fired.

9504Clipboard01.jpg

Mym, aged 3

-=-=-

THE PLAYERS

-=-=-

Survivor #3 garnered plenty of interest but only 24 players were selected to fail to compete. Hilarity did something other than ensue, so this time only 20 fearsome warriors will take their places in front of the losers' podium, facing off over eight Survivor maps and a maximum of five 2v2 maps. It's all about fewer headaches for html and Mym, who sucks (just trying to stay in the spirit of the event, join in).

So, whom shall we be rooting against this time? Other than the boring old pug farts who got wheeled out last time, there is a handful of unlikelys. Numbering amongst these are such as Timmah (Survivor virgin?); sleepy (UTA newbage and sole event female signup); Squirrel (signed last time but didn't play); Gogle$$ (dark horse); and Fury (horse's arse). Notable by their absence(s) are Wish and Riv, the former still stroking his 1v1 tournament trophy, the latter still sulking after his inevitable exit. The final pick is not yet known and signups not yet closed, so get in there and grab a place!

Anyway, it's good to be back and we hope this event goes as swimmingly as it might not unless it does. Non-participants and unfortunate event rejects are again invited to join Banshee and myself on UTV and (hopefully - TBC) audio commentary. Possibly even a video livestream, but this has yet to be sorted. Watch this space!

Have fun and good luck to the players :D

-=-=-

THE PLAN

-=-=-

Same story as last time, read the following if you're unfamiliar with wtf is going on.

What is Survivor Assault?

It is a game about decisions. You don't know who anyone else is and they don't know who you are (unless someone's cheating :angry:) and so, playing anonymously, you have to make sure that one of two things happens in every round. Either get yourself the immunity or don't be the weakest link in the team when it comes to selection time.

What are immunities?

Immunities are the deciding factors in each round. They determine which players survive, at least until the next map. There are three types of immunities:

Primary - This is the one most players will be striving to reach in every round. A primary can always be achieved by triggering a certain (usually known) attack objective. Therefore, if everyone knows that Charge 4 in Bridge will get them a primary, they will all be fighting to reach it before anyone else does. The winner of the primary gets to kick a player from his own team, while he himself is exempt from rejection (unless he votes himself out).
Secondary - Similar to a primary immunity, but less desirable and harder to cling onto. If the primary in Bridge is Charge 4 and the secondaries are Main Gate, Door Pressure, Final... then anyone getting one of the secondaries is always under threat from the fact that the primary is still up for grabs. Secondaries only apply if the primary objective is not reached in that round, a common occurrence in the second round of a map in which the first round was attacked quickly. If the primary is not reached, whichever player got the highest secondary survives, hence the objective hierarchy - ie. Final is greater than Door Pressure is greater than Main Gate.
Permanent - This ensures that the receiving player gets through to the 3v3 map - in other words he is safe from being kicked by anyone until then. These are fun but next to impossible to get. A player with a permanent immunity does not gain the power from it to kick anyone, he is merely exempt from being kicked. Permanent immunities do not stack and the only way around them is to get one and then get a map immunity and use it to vote yourself off :P

What if I don't get an immunity?

Then you'd better make sure you are not dragging your team down. Be the best fragger, the best launcher, the best backman. Be useful (hi self). When it comes to selection time and someone else is doing the selecting, a higher frag count or a successful spell of launches can prove the difference between staying and going. It's all about impressing the people around you - this can be enough to survive without an immunity.

What if I do get an immunity?

Then you're the man. It's up to you to boot a player from your own team in order to make it stronger than the other team. Of course you ideally won't know whom you're kicking, so it behooves you to watch what everyone else is doing around you, in order to make the right decision when the time comes.

What's so special about the 3v3?

This is where things get tough. If you have reached the 3v3 map and you manage to get the immunity you will be in a position to choose your team-mate for the impending 2v2 maps. You must choose from the 4 survivors not in possession of a map immunity - ie. not yourself and not the opposing player with his round's immunity. In fact, if you win the 3v3 you get first choice. The two players not selected fail to survive and the four survivors go through to the money stages :D Added to this, the immune player from the losers of the 3v3 gets to choose the first map of the 2v2 stage, after which the other team chooses the next map, and they alternate from there, win or lose. And the first team to win 3 maps wins :mosher:

What's the point of trying to win a map once someone has the primary immunity?

Very good question, but as far as I can understand it the point is to continue to impress people. Bear with me here. Just because someone got Charge 4, that doesn't mean you can't set a leet sniper tower launch to the detonator. Another way to look at it is that the first attack round is important past the primary immunity because it cuts down the time the other team will have in which to reach their primary, meaning a weaker player may be more likely to get the immunity via a secondary objective, thus making their team weaker by not eliminating himself. I hope you follow that. And second round attacks are important for the same reason. There's also satisfaction from beating the other team and the importance of not allowing any one defender to get a permanent immunity through the def frags rule (more on this later). Immune or not, try hard at all times, it can't hurt and will usually help.

Soooo.... how do I win and what happens afterwards?

Well, you win by being in the winning 2v2 team. The 2v2 is considered a separate match, really, and the maps will be decided on the day. At this point the players are forced to reveal their identities, and all immunities and other considerations cease to matter. TS can be used, binds can be enabled, etc. After that it's all about teh mooniez!

Wtf?

If some or none of the above is clear then read html's post or XB's post, you mystified goon.

-=-=-

THE RULES

-=-=-

More or less the same as last time, but one or two possible changes. Updated as needed, so please check!

SIGNUP RULES

- Agree to join the server html tells you to join (same machine as pug server provided by MyM)
- Agree to wear the skin and face that you're told to and do not change them during the event
- Agree to wear a two digit number instead of your usual nick (choose one yourself, if the one you want is taken when you join the server reconnect with another one)
- Agree to play the maps chosen for the event, including one or several non-league maps
- Agree to follow html's ongoing admin directions

PLAY RULES

- The warmup map will be two rounds but will not feature any eliminations or immunities
- Each round will have a maximum countdown of 2 minutes to allow for complications
- While playing you cannot change your nick (NO NAME CHANGE BINDS)
- The wonderful Timo has created a mutator (downloaded automatically from the server) which will mask ping and netspeed, so changes to these will mean nothing to anyone else
- No sharing your identity privately with friends to make sure you don't get eliminated - respect the event!
- No teamspeak (UTA TS will be open to you once you are eliminated from the match
- No captains (tacs may be given by anyone via teamsay but there is no rule that says they must be followed)
- This is not a rule, but you might want to avoid or disable any binds which identify you to others, ie. :dj: or :clap: Or you might want to use them to confuse people :P
- All other usual league rules apply, we all know them, no laming, bug abusing, excessive verbal abuse, etc. - keep it friendly and clean :)
- In-game absences (ie. disconnects, crashes, ragequits) will be ruled upon by html during the match. Not much can be done about disconnects, so reboot your PC, close all other programs, kill conn sharing family members, etc. beforehand to ensure you don't crash

OTHER MORE OBVIOUS RULES

- Turn up on time and stay there, at least until you're eliminated - no signing off to attend a Women's Lib AGM or w/e
- Have a Paypal account ready uif you're planning to vote Riv orf
- Agree to use ACE - it will be in action
- Respect html's admin decisions - it's his event, he is in charge, he has the final say

Nothing too hard, right? Wrong.

Last edited:
-=-=-

THE TIMES AND PLACES

-=-=-

The date will of course be Sunday 6th February. Over to html:

"19h55: Everyone be in #utapug on irc.utassault.net, there I will give the name of the temporary irc channel that you must join.

20h00: That channel will be moderated (you won't be able to speak in it), there I will repeat a few ground rules for the event. Once everyone is in the channel, I will crosscheck everyone present with the OFFICIAL PLAYER LIST and voice the first 24 names.
then I will choose the red and blue team for the game but keep that information for Banshee, Useless and myself.
I will take a whole 15 minutes to make proper teams, start the server, and answer some questions

20h15: I will pm each of you individually with the server ip and password for your team.

20h~20: There will be a special warmup map where I will make sure everyone follows the rules of nick/skin.

20h~45: The first real map will begin.

Maps will go on with 2 players getting eliminated every map, once you're eliminated you'll have to go on irc to get the UTV info if you want to spec the rest of the event.

After the 3v3 map the final 2v2 teams will be known and a best of 3 or best of 5 will be played, I will decide at that time how many maps I want to see played by the 2v2 teams.

The winners of the 2v2 team will conclude the event! All in all it should take about 3.5 - 4 hours."

You have been told! Don't be late!

-=-=-

As for the places:

Match server: www.utapug.net:9400 (please note this is NOT the usual utapug server - look in the AS tab for "StdAs Survivor Assault Night [locked private]")
IRC: irc.utassault.net / #utapug
Teamspeak: www.utapug.net:9987 / utapug - please, only join this if you can't get into UTV, or if you've been eliminated from the match
Shoutcast: Will be announced approx. 1 hour before the match in irc
UTV:

- Install UTV
- Open UT, open the UTV mod from the Mod menu, close it and close UT again, so that UTV will have been able to modify your .ini files
- Open unrealtournament.ini
- Find the section titled [UTV.UTVSActor]
- Make sure that section contains the following lines, with no spaces after them:

gameinfos[0]=Botpack.CTFGame UTV.UTVCTFInfo
gameinfos[1]=Botpack.TeamGamePlus UTV.UTVTDMInfo
gameinfos[2]=Botpack.Domination UTV.UTVDomInfo
gameinfos[3]=Botpack.Assault UTV.UTVASInfo
gameinfos[4]=LeagueAS135.LeagueAssault UTV.UTVASInfo
gameinfos[5]=LeagueAS136.LeagueAssault UTV.UTVASInfo
gameinfos[6]=LeagueAS140.LeagueAssault UTV.UTVASInfo

- Save and close your .ini
- Open UT and then UTV from the Mod menu
- In the Server box type www.utapug.net:23812
- In the Password box type utawatcher
- Click the Connect button

UTV disconnects when the map or round changes, so please disconnect and reconnect after each round has finished. The broadcast has a 10 second delay. UTV chat is enabled for all UTV users, this is separate from the UT chatbox. The broadcaster (ie. me) can see all your typed messages with the same delay, and I can reply.

For more info on how to set up UTV please read this and this.

I will go over this in irc before but not during the match. If you haven't set it up before then, tough.

Also, if the livestream thing works out with Banshee, we will not use UTV but Ban will instead stream the spec to a site and we will do commentary over the top. Again, more details nearer the time.

Last edited:
-=-=-

THE MAPS AND IMMUNITIES

-=-=-

These are the maps, in countdown order, and details of what must be done to gain either secondary, primary or even permanent immunities in each round. Players will be reminded of the immunities at the start of each round and can also ask html (who will be speccing) at any time during play.

10v10 (warmup): A dreaded custom map! :crap:
Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A

10v10: Gladiator][ - click to download
Primary: Win
Secondary: Radio > Switch One > Ancient Warrior > Wall > Bridge

9v9: GolgothaAL
Secondary: Dungeon > Hurons Path > Undead > Hurons Temple
Permanent (Att): Obtain 6 or more objectives

8v8: Bridge
Primary: Charge 4
Secondary: Final Assault > Secondary Assault > Main Gate

7v7: Siege][
Primary: Hidden!
Secondary: Hidden!

6v6: Vampire - click to download
Secondary: Switch > Barricade

5v5: TheDungeon]|[AL
Secondary: Falls > Lake

4v4: Riverbed]|[AL
Primary: Charge
Secondary: Tunnels > Compressor > Outpost

3v3: Frigate
Secondary: Hydraulic Compressor > Ship Entered

As you can see, only one permanent immunity up for grabs this time. But don't despair! Just like last time, up until and including the 5v5, any defender who has the greatest points total on his team for three consecutive maps will gain a permanent immunity :bounce:

All the maps should be on fast redirect from the match server. If you are unfamiliar with them, tough! Get practising! If you don't trust the server you can download every event map from this file - just overwrite all files in your UT directory.

Last edited:
your concern has been adressed

perm for godlike on bridge has been removed

good event, too much dependant on luck......so have to say - sucks balls for that.

two bad experiences on this, wont be playing again

sorry to free (33) and Cyborg (76)

for voting them off, they were last in the list when i voted them, but my gut was telling me 42 (Fury) and 42 ending up biting me in the ass eventually

Last edited:
Congrats to Salva and m1cr0, commiserations DJ and Fury, was a great game, well played. Report coming (hopefully) in the next few days. Thanks for participating :clap: