SQL Server 2005 Merge-Replication

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Bart

Mister Mediocre
Jan 10, 2002
Germany
hi,

at work i setted up a merge-replication between a SQL Server 2005 database and a SQl Server 2005 Mobile database (sdf-file). The sdf-file is located on the server where the SQL Server 2005 database is installed.

The syncronisation works pretty well, but now i've to snyc a mobile database (same as on the server) from a PDA.
How can i manage that?

To add the PDA-database to the replication i have to open it in the SQL Server Manager to create a subscriper, but SQL Server 2005 doesn't allow me to connect via network shares /paths or drive mapping to the Mobile Databases. Nevertheless it's on the PDA or it's on a Computer-client.
I'm jsut allowe to open SQL Server Mobile databases that is on the server.

A fancy failure appears: "SQL Server 2005 mobile doesn't support including databases via network shares or network mapping".

And Active Sync (a program to sync data between PDA and Client PC) dont allow me to sync the mobile database file on the server, becuase it doesn't support syncing over network share too...just local.

Point is, that the sdf-file from the PDA has to sync the database on the server.
Atm i've a SQL Server 2005 based on teh Server database Publication and a subscriper based on the sdf-file on the server. Both have a valid syncing connection.

So my solution would be to get the newest sdf- file from the PDA to the client via Active sync and then overwriting this server sdf-database with the one from teh client (where active syncs sopied it from the PDA) using a self made copy proggie.

But before i do that, maybe some of you lads know more about this topic and can give another or better solution.
(Mayb a plugin for Active Sync to sync directy with the SQL Server, or smth like that)

cheers

Hardware:
Windows Server 2003
SQL Server 2005
Sql Server Mobile 2005
Ms Active Sync 4.1