Sponsorship changes

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Martz

Staff member
May 26, 2001
Whats going on?
We are very pleased to announce that we have a new sponsor for the utassault.net forums, league web sites and Fraghub: www.gothica.nl Over the past weeks and months we've planned and constructed a new dedicated server to run the forums, web sites and game servers.

Why?
We have been with gameservers.net now for a number of years, where once they were able to win our custom with the lowest prices possible. Over time, we have had many issues with the service provided by GS.net only to find that they want to bill us for the most simple of problems. To give you just 1 example, our hard disk was failing, spitting out errors into log files. Since we rented the server from GS.net, we asked for it to be looked at ASAP. A few weeks later they came back and told us that it would cost 100 euros to swap the hard disk for one which was working properly. We told them to shove it up their
errrr.gif
and we did what we could ourselves, remotely. That was about 3 months ago, and we still have the fubar hard disk in our server which hasn't been removed since the cloning process we did ourselves.

They are obviously a business and want to make money, but their agressive business attitude doesn't make them suited to a non-proft organisation like utassault.net, and we had to change.

Community specification
This has surey been one of the biggest community efforts with UTA members so far donating money and time to the hardware side of this project. We have so far received:

• Supermicro 1U server chasis
  • 2 x Intel XEON 2.8GHz 800MHz FSB Processors
  • Asus NCCH-DR motherboard [link]
  • 4GB of Kingston ECC RAM
  • 2 x Seagate 36GB 10K Cheetah SCSI hard disks and 39160 Adaptec SCSI Controller
  • 1 x 160GB Western Digital hard disk for backups
  • Various heat sinks, PCI riser cards and McGuyver like assembly
A week or so ago, the server (assembled in pieces at Kips house) was stress tested and later on Gentoo linux installed. This has meant an easier migration from the old server, named "salty", to the new server which has been named "bacon". Don't ask about the names, but one main reason is because doh is danish, and smells like bacon. He's also had a massive input into this project, and his skills and dedication are what have made it such a success.
3some.gif

We are now running the forums from this new server, using the fraghub.net domain while we waiting for the utassault.net DNS to update. Soon the utassault.net site and Fraghub domains will all be moved over to the same box, and be able to benefit from the performance boost. Our capacity to provide old and new gaming services has been improved massively, and we only hope for good things in the future now we've got a great foundation for quite a few years to come. (in some form or another).

Thank you
Very very much.. to Kip, doh, & Relax. Also, another huge thank you to another member of this community who'd like to remain anonymous. They donated a substantial amount of money which allowed us to change the hardware specification from a single processor AMD/P4 machine to the dual xeon beast that we are running on right now. Your generosity is greatly appreciated mate!

How can I help?

The costs of the ubber hardware have been paid for and covered, which I estimate at €2000-2500. What we would also greatly appreciate, are members of this community who can donate towards the running costs of the server. The easiest way to make a donation and help out is to click your UserCP > Paid Subscriptions. This also increases your forum account quotas so you can upload more attachments, manage reputation other shananigans. Even if you don't want all the forum crap. Donate!
biggrin.gif

I feel this is a bit of a mile stone for utassault.net, regardless of what the future holds, we are doing better than ever before!
spin.gif

pld Martz, Doh, cuddles for Kipz and everyone involved.

The move has gone smoothly as far as I can tell and here hoping things continue in that vein, though with Kipz looking after it I am sure it will do :) .

Wp guys, new server sounds very nice, should keep running smoothly for ya for a long time. I had noticed the gothica banner but didn't realise it's significance untill now. Gothica owns gs, I can't quite comprehend the whole hard disk issue, that is not how to keep customers gs :nono:.

the contribution to this community in time effort money and hardware by its members is fantastic and really is hasbeen and hopefully will continue to be its backbone in the future as a part of this comunity for the past 6 years its great to see it continue.

Thank you very much guys.