spambots

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

xb7

We want... A SHRUBBERY!
Jun 8, 2001
Hamburg
well noticing the big amounts of spambots recently in all forums here i was wondering if there isn't anything that can be done about it?

pykenike said:
yes, as mentioned some times.

you need to post 5 times before you can start a new thread :)
why 5, and not 1?

None of the automated spambots I've seen posted in an existing thread before making a new thread..

There isn't an option built into the software to restrict new threads by post count, so it's not that easy. :(

It would require a hack to be installed or custom modification.

The spam bots are a pain in the ass - the threads just need moving to the Quarentine as quickly as possible. This way they are out of view from the search engines and spiders. I can also block all the IP addresses, as it seems to be happened from certain ranges which keep changing.

well the company from which this forum is could "easily" update the forum via a patch or am i complety wrong, i think spambots are a widely known prob so if it needs modification i think the company itself needs to update there product

or am i saying crap now?

Martz said:
There isn't an option built into the software to restrict new threads by post count, so it's not that easy. :(

It would require a hack to be installed or custom modification.
So whatcha waiting for then? Get on with it! :P

pykenike said:
well the company from which this forum is could "easily" update the forum via a patch or am i complety wrong, i think spambots are a widely known prob so if it needs modification i think the company itself needs to update there product

or am i saying crap now?
Yeah, I would prefer vbulletin.com to address this problem officially rather than having to use some script kiddies dodby forum hack. We used to have lots of hacks and tweaks, but it makes upgrading so much harder.