Space Shuttle Columbia...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Wintermute

Oct 17, 2001
Strachur, Scotland
If you haven't heard, it looks like Columbia has been destroyed on re-entry...

a sad, sad day, and for those of us who remember Challenger, it's doubly bad :|

I hoped I would never see this again in my lifetime. :(

Well it the thing that can happen any time. Missions like these are risky and those who participate know that. Sad loss though.

Especially since this shuttle (the oldest one I believe) had a major service in 1999 and again early 2002. Loads of work and all gone up in smoke. The worst of this is (apart from the loss of the crew) that a lot of people are now suddenly unemployed, since it was taking back lots of research material. Also the (inevitable) delay for future missions will mean a lot of unemployment for lots of researchers.

yeah just heard it on the newz a few hours ago... :(

01/02 is allready a day of mourning for the south west of holland..

was only small, but remember challenger... :(

May they rest in peace, a very sad day :(

:(

I think the shuttle has had it tbh, its had a good run but they need to be retired and replaced with somthing else, somthing that is a little more tolerant to errors.

Putting further lives at risk by sending ppl into space in 20 year old spacecraft that have a zero percent margin for error tolerance on re-entry isnt acceptable anymore imo.

Originally posted by Saytan
:(

I think the shuttle has had it tbh, its had a good run but they need to be retired and replaced with somthing else, somthing that is a little more tolerant to errors.

Putting further lives at risk by sending ppl into space in 20 year old spacecraft that have a zero percent margin for error tolerance on re-entry isnt acceptable anymore imo.

?

its not zeo, but more like 1 out of 60....

The shuttle was just refurbished, dunno what went wrong but what you say is crap crap crap.....

Perhaps if the money spent on largely military and mostly pointless "space" experiments was diverted to providing drinking water to poorer countries, a zillion more lives, mostly of children, might not be wasted.

Strangely I feel no sympathy.