Sound problems.

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Shinon`

19x sshot!
Aug 21, 2002
Sprang-Capelle, NL
I'm trying to install a PC for my sister

MSI 6702E Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 2000+
Nvidia 6200.

It has onboard sound, I installed the drivers for everything, all is working, except sound :x
I reinstalled several times, nothing working.
Some help please :angel:

Is there a volume icon turning up in the taskbar? Is there anything greyed out or unclickable when you go into Control Panel > Sound ? What type of onboard soundcard is it (Realtek prolly) ?

VIA onboard i guess (As it says VIA Technologies is the provider :P )
I've got driver: 6.14.01.3870s

There's a volume icon and a program called Audio Deck (which showed up after install) in taskbar.

Grr I had this exact problem on my laptop but I can't remember how to fix it... I'll be back later if I remember!

EDIT: Never mind, I remembered.

First thing to do is go into Device Manager and find Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Delete whichever entry relates to your onboard sound (Audio Deck in your case). It should be gone from the list and then you just reboot, Windows should detect it again and hopefully install suitable generic drivers. Or if you have the latest drivers for that card you can just install them yourself.

Also try going into Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices and click the Audio tab. If your onboard card shows up in the dropdown boxes Sound Playback and Sound Recording then at least you know it's detected and that Windows thinks it's working. Also check the Volume tab and make sure everything is set up correctly (including your speakers).

Obviously also check your speakers are on and turned up (that they're plugged in to the correct socket), and that none of the slide bars in your volume control are ticked or set to the lowest settings.

Last edited:
It says Realtek AC'97 now, but still nothing working.
Everytime i uninstall driver, i restart pc. Then new hardware is found 'Multi media somethingy'. But can't install as no proper drivers are on. But when i look in Add Hardware Wizard, it shows Realtek AC'97 for VIA(R) Audio controller. when i click on it, it says 'This device is working properly'.

Grr I had this exact problem on my laptop but I can't remember how to fix it... I'll be back later if I remember!

EDIT: Never mind, I remembered.

First thing to do is go into Device Manager and find Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Delete whichever entry relates to your onboard sound (Audio Deck in your case). It should be gone from the list and then you just reboot, Windows should detect it again and hopefully install suitable generic drivers. Or if you have the latest drivers for that card you can just install them yourself.

Also try going into Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices and click the Audio tab. If your onboard card shows up in the dropdown boxes Sound Playback and Sound Recording then at least you know it's detected and that Windows thinks it's working. Also check the Volume tab and make sure everything is set up correctly (including your speakers).

Obviously also check your speakers are on and turned up (that they're plugged in to the correct socket), and that none of the slide bars in your volume control are ticked or set to the lowest settings.

Did that with Device manager. I restarted and it actually did detect my Onboard sound, only had no effect on sound :x Only sound coming out the speakers is a sound which sounds likes a hit on a microphone.