soccer / football thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Oh Noeeeees financial troubles ate the top teams that raped and pillaged smaller teams of their talent for a pittance. How can this happen!!!!!

Lets spare a moment for the 10s of clubs booted out of the football league, bankrupted and told to start again from the foot of the football ladder.

Wrexham
Chester
Luton
Burton
Accrington

Top 3 are very recent ones, Chester in particular, bankrupted and forced to move to the Welsh league rather than begin at the English football basement.

IMO this destruction of football started long before the Americans came in. Teams like Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool helped destroy grass roots football since the start of the Premier League in 1993. Since then Chelsea and Manchester City are continuing on a much greater form.

Where Chester owe 1 Million, Manchester United owe 1 Billion, I don't think it is really fair because Man Utd can realistically have saleability to cover this.

I hope this IS a sign of things to come, because you can't just get bailed out because you are a big club.

haha Luton, too bad :lol:

But they werent booted out
They got docked 10 points for admin
They got deducted 10 points for being dodgy with agents
They got deducted more points because owners had no idea how to run a business
They were shit and got relegated twice in a row, not helped by the points deductions
They are scummers :D

Oh and Chester, werent they the club that restarted and then when out of business. With the new owner claiming more than half a million of the 1million debt in the few months they have been trading?
Its all well and good saying its funfair this and that but dodgy owners having been screwing over teams long before these americans turned up, only difference is the amount of money involved

Last edited:
:D

However, what you just described is the current way Manchester United and Liverpool are being run. Where are the deductions? :x

You forgot the 35 points deduction!! :D I think 35 anyway. Or are the ones you mention the accumulation of their last season? They also got docked points in league 1.

I couldnt remember how many points exactly, so that comes under "They got deducted more points because owners had no idea how to run a business" which was at least another 10 points.

As for Manu or Liverpool, I have no doubt you know how the system works and its rhetorical but nm.
Liverpool, if they hadnt found a buyer by Oct 15th would of had points deducted.
Its the level of assets they have and turnover they can generate, their debt levels can be a lot higher than the equivalent league 3 or bluesquare team. However they will get to a stage when their loan facility will be stopped and thats when theyll have issues if they keep on the way they are going, again a lot of the debt generated by these clubs come from the takeovers by the current owners, if you cant afford to buy something outright then dont buy it!!

As for Manu or Liverpool, I have no doubt you know how the system works and its rhetorical but nm.
Liverpool, if they hadnt found a buyer by Oct 15th would of had points deducted.
No, they wouldn't have points deducted.

Kop Holdings owe the bank ~£300m, not the club. Without the owners Liverpool would be the most profitable club in the premiership. They did extensive research because they wanted to know what would happen and PL was satisfied with what both RBS and Liverpool presented and they wouldn't have had 9p deducted :P

edit: Just look at West Ham a couple of years back, no points deducted there either!

Last edited:
Max, Liverpool would only have made a profit because of net transfer spending and that was negative due to the fact you are in so much debt. Aston Villa have even lower and have been more profitable than any other team in that sense.

Fact is, only one team is making a profitable return taking all accounts into consideration and that is Stoke City at a slim 0.5 million. The only way we have managed to do that is by maintaining a sensible transfer and wage structure. That is why our current squad annual wage is under 30 million, where Liverpools is over 90 million. Chelsea is almost 150 million. With stats like these you can see where football is ruined.

K nm just left home and i see this on my phone.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9074311.stm

Apparently. Its possible and probable.. Oh well isnt that nice, Hicks (fo you dirty cunt you) final parting gift - sending liverpool into administration. Good fucking riddance you piece of shit, i hope you die a very long and painful death.

Still, if it means finally getting rid of him so be it. Bring on the point deduction, if nothing else it will spice up the merseyside derby at goodison, going in with -3p

Gg gtfo hicks

"Built by Shanks - Broke by yanks"

YNWA :footy:

Max, Liverpool would only have made a profit because of net transfer spending and that was negative due to the fact you are in so much debt. Aston Villa have even lower and have been more profitable than any other team in that sense.

Fact is, only one team is making a profitable return taking all accounts into consideration and that is Stoke City at a slim 0.5 million. The only way we have managed to do that is by maintaining a sensible transfer and wage structure. That is why our current squad annual wage is under 30 million, where Liverpools is over 90 million. Chelsea is almost 150 million. With stats like these you can see where football is ruined.

I have heard differently and will have to disagree for now. Pn my phone and eaitong to go to. Queen tje musical with my family so cant really go searching for links thst back up my pov

Ill get back to thos later! Still, getting rid of owners - happy dayz

Taking EVERYTHING financially into account, judging by net transfers, Aston Villa are the most profitable. There are several articles and blogs covering this. Both of these are due to lack of signings and more of wage cutting and sales. It is nothing to brag about, it is something forced upon the teams because they have been ran so badly in recent years.

The only reason I am comparing them to Stoke is that Stoke are the 5th highest is Net Transfer table and yet still made a profit. They are somewhat of a financial model in football today.

No, they wouldn't have points deducted.

Kop Holdings owe the bank ~£300m, not the club. Without the owners Liverpool would be the most profitable club in the premiership. They did extensive research because they wanted to know what would happen and PL was satisfied with what both RBS and Liverpool presented and they wouldn't have had 9p deducted :P

edit: Just look at West Ham a couple of years back, no points deducted there either!

Sorry, should have worded it as not meeting the 15th deadline would make the possibility of a points deduction much more likely.
I know there was problems with holding companies, West Ham got away with it, Southampton tried the same and didn't, if it were me Id not take the risk!

ofc such a comment will come up. Actually that's bollox.
I could mention that nearly everyone of the "exotics" is born in germany (e.g. Tasci, Kedhira, Özil (even Ozils parents where born here)) or live atleast 15 years here.

Sadly many "turkish" players (currently 5) who were born in germany, benefited from the better living standards here and never actually lived in turkey and then choose the turkish team.

i totally agree football is ruined , but as long as you have people like abramovich with so much money in the bank it will stay the same , he doesn't care if hes on a big loss Chelseas probably just a toy to play with cause he's bored and likes being in the spotlight, but at the same time if these people didn't put so much money into it in the first place the premier league wouldn't be the powerhouse that it is either

Last edited:
He will have to care soon. In 2013 when UEFA start the new plan for only £39m loss allowed.

Man City over £100m loss
Man Utd £83m loss
Chelsea still making over £39m loss, so do Liverpool.

I just hope UEFA override the FA's decision to bail out these clubs.

If Man Utd fail to makr the CL qualification this season, there will be a massive slide to obscurity IMO and about time.

How has the FA bailed them out?

Either way I doubt teams like Chelsea or Manu will have much problem making the new UEFA rules, accounts can always be manipulated. Manu apparently had 40M of asset depreciation in there accounts, thats purely a paper loss, they can argue its not a real loss so thats their loss down by 50% already.
City on the other hand are screwed, Im sure I saw the other day that they had 125M turnover and wages of 133M :lol: