soccer / football thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

fucking hell! they should resctrict clubs from doing that.. Barcalona getting a 115 million euro's loan etc. its just bollocks, ok if the big boss like abramaovic and the manchester city people have got a lot of money to spend, but getting a loan from the bank on monday and spending it on tuesday on a player is just getting ridiculous.

I dont see any problem with clubs getting a loan if they can afford it, regardless of how much it is. The banks are not stupid, they will not lend money out if they think there is no chance of getting it back, they will make sure its secured against something of adequate value and the assets of someone like Barcelona are considerable.

Few clubs are being handed money freely, Chelsea has debts to Abromavich, hes not just handed out loads of cash and expected nothing for it, its no different to receving money through a bank although they may be more flexible on terms.

Take this with a pinch of salt as it's taken from The Sun newspaper but:

It's The Sun, anything Liverpool related in the scum is usually bollox. I'll believe it when it comes from a proper news source :p

But either way, Ok. He's a money-grabbing cunt. Is he a fantastic footballer? Yes! Will Liverpool FC embrace and make him aware of other stuff than money? Most likely :D

YNWA! :footy:

Why is he being singled out to be a money grabbing cunt? ANy twat on over 50k a week is a money grabbing cunt.

James Beattie is on 40k at stoke, he fucked a move to Fulham cos he wanted 50k despite being 3rd or 4th choice at Stoke. Footballers are an idiotic breed and the sooner these finances are nipped in the bud the better.

1st it needs teams like Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona stop building up mountains of debt and spending £200-300m every 2 seasons.

Er how does ManU get into that, they've spent very little in the transfer market overall, certainly less than most midtable teams have in the last 10 years.
Some debt is from shoddy owners, some is from spending too much on players, other is from offering players too much to get them into your team.
Sky injecting huge amounts of money in Premierleague is the main cause of the money issues with teams and players in England.

cant see a problem for teams like a chelsea and man city, if owners have the cash and want to splash out then thats fine with me as long as the owners stick around. as soon as they go (if their is any buyers, then they might be in trouble)

teams like real madrid piss me off though 80m on ronaldo and 60m kaka and they get funding from government apparently

They get funding from Government owned banks sort of. Been like that since the Franco-era. This whole political thing also sort of explains the Real Madrid/Barcelona rivalry.

Also, Gerrard commited to Liverpool today :footy: Just need Torres to come out and commit himself too now and it's all good for a top4+ this season oh yes! :bounce:

They get funding from Government owned banks sort of. Been like that since the Franco-era. This whole political thing also sort of explains the Real Madrid/Barcelona rivalry.

Also, Gerrard commited to Liverpool today :footy: Just need Torres to come out and commit himself too now and it's all good for a top4+ this season oh yes! :bounce:

i like your ambition

In the last few years they have spent big money on:

Berbatov - £32m (eventually)
Valencia - £16m
Carrick - £19m
Hargreaves - £17m
Nani - £17m
Javier Hernandez - £9m will rise over £10m

£110m on 6 people in the last 3 years. There are others like Evra at £6m, Vidic at £7m, Obertan and Smalling at big money as well.

They dont go OTT like Man City but they still spend significantly more than the likes of Spurs.

On one hand you say teams shouldnt spend so much money on players because it brings in debt but on the other you totally ignore the fact I say 'overall' theyve not spent much.

Really cant see the problem with spending 200M on players every season if you sell 200M worth of players at same time, some of the bigger teams are bringing in younger players and developing them and selling on for a decent profit. Im sure I read somewhere that since prem league started Manu have spent around 650K on players every season (they were around lower midtable for spending in last 3 years), thats nothing compared to the likes of the Man City or Chelsea who are spending money on players that are unlikely to increase much if at all in value, thats what leads to debt, its not a sound business plan.

Looking at the transfer lists of Man Utd they have hardly spent more (maybe even less) on players than they sold them for. Take Heinze, Mikel, v. Nistelrooy and Ronaldo and u have ur 110m they spent on these players.

I said 110m for the main people. Add all of them together for the last 3 years and you have over £150m

They are billions in debt and the £80m Ronaldo fee was settled mainly with debt clearance. You can't merely compare the 2.

RVN was sold in 2006, if we go back that far even more Manchester Utd purchases enter the fray.

Heinze was £8m

Mikel was never on Manchester Utds books. Compensation was settled but AFAIK thats not even finished payment yet.

It would be nice to have a discussion with people not making up facts or delving further back than the discussion warrants. :)

Tevez was a loan deal Max, a very expensive 1 that was reported to have cost over £20m. They received no money for him going to Man City.

Last edited:
Last 3 years
Ronaldo, Simpson, Campbell, Pique, Eagles, Silvestre, Bardsley, Shawcross, Howard, Rossi, Smith, Heinze, is 120M

mikel was a compensation thing

youve also got Saha as undisclosed however much that is

Forgot Richardson as well, thats another 5M

And carrick was over 3 years ago!

Last edited:
Well done mym, you have listed over 10 players to make up the 120m! where 1 of them cost 80m!

If I count up EVERY purchase in the last 3-4 years it is going to be close to 200m. Lets not forget the kind of signing on fees that the likes of van der saar, owen etc got paid. As well as Tevez expensive loan deal, we are talking well over 200m in 3-4 years. Real Madrid spent 200m in 2 years, it really isnt much worse :P

:lol: make your mind up

You originally complain about teams buying players and getting into debt
Now you are complaining about signing on fees paid to players and loan agreements
You want to count loans against what is spent but you want to ignore the one player that was worth the most amount of money in a sale
You have to accept some teams will do a lot of trade which includes buying and sales to balance the books, not all teams that spend money are doing so expecting no return on their investment. Some teams sell a lot of their youngsters at a small amount to help balance the books and sometimes theyll discover someone they can use or sell for a vast profit.

Rather than say anything specific why dont you just say all teams spend too much money, that way you can't be proven wrong as im sure nobody would disagree with that

Oh and I count 115M outgoings, and 125M incoming in the last 3 years, im pretty sure that means they made a profit on sales. Now even if you add Tevez loan deal they arent far off breaking even.
Stop counting ppl from more than 3 years ago when saying in the last 3 years bla bla, for example carrick, vidic, evra etc!