soccer / football thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

What? How have Fulham not deserved to make it? They have been excellent all campaign and knocked out some very good teams along the way! Barcelona v Inter was also a shit game so should neither deserve to make the semis?

Lets rembeber, Fulham are an average team in the Prem and have been the most successul in Europe, maybe just maybe, the bigger teams just had poo competitions? Can hardly say the prem sucks now based on 1 season.

I think other than the bottom 3 in the current prem, 17th place would IMO beat 17th in Bundesliga and same positions above.

oh well that is your opinion, patriotic :P..

Everyone is for his own league in the country, so I dont think there is a single sense to discuss which league is stronger than another :lol:

12th team in EPL have beaten 7th and 8th in Bundesliga, means EPL is miles better, stats dont lie! :lol:

All leagues will have ups and downs, kind of stupid to compare them like that

no one said that the bundesliga is stronger, most of us just said that it is more interesting because of a bigger balance.
you just have to compare the market values of the teams of the bundesliga and premier league. bayern munich is the most expensive team in germany but in england they would be on the 6th place right behind manchester city.

whatever. i enjoy watching both and im always happy to see a german team far in front. i hope it will be borussia dortmund next year! :P

Chelsea have had a better Premiership this time round but a worse European campaign. Got knocked out by Inter.
Manchester United have had a decent Premiership this year but a poor European campaign, knocked out by Bayern.
Arsenal have had an OK Premiership, knocked out by Barcelona.

Maybe, just maybe instead of saying the Premiership has got worse, give some credit to Inter who have done excellent in knocking out probably the best 2 teams in Europe, possibly the world. And Bayern who have had a great season, mainly due to the likes of Robbens form.

English teams dominated Europe for 2-3 seasons and all of a sudden are crap because they lost to very good teams? So narrow minded. You can call it patriotic all you want Yako and once again is ignorant on your behalf as anyone here will vouch for me being an avid HATER of all things Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. I am glad all 4 got knocked out as all 4 clubs make me sick the way they are run and the separate rules for them and the rest of the Premier league. However, bind the best 3 or 4 leagues together and have them all play each other twice over 2 seasons is a silly comparison but I firmly believe the top 10 would have 5 English teams and this is not including the very good Tottenham, Everton and Aston Villa who would all push for making said top 10. Covering the Spanish, Italian, German and English leagues.

I guess league would look something like this:

1. Barcelona
2. Chelsea
3. Manchester Utd
4. Real Madrid
5. Arsenal
6. Bayern Munich
7. Inter Milan
8. Manchester City
9. AC Milan
10. Liverpool

Last edited:
RUMOURS!!! 30TH APRIL

Lassana Diarra - Real Madrid to Manchester Utd - £17m
David Villa - Valencia to Real Madrid - ??
Kevin Kuranyi - Schalke to Manchester City - ??
Kevin de Bruyne - Genk to Everton - £1m
Hamit Altintop - Bayern Munich to Atletico Madrid - Free

Leonardo - AC Milan to Quit - Manager

Portuguese league is a 4 teams championship ... :puke:

by far the english league is the most entertaining and competitve

Oh I must have dreamt Liverpool being in it til the last weekend last season then with Chelsea not close. Oh and Arsenal the year before. No doubt there is always the same teams but thats even evident in Bundesliga.... Manc City, Spurs, Villa and Everton are all a lot closer this year than in the last 10 years.

nah torp. No other league has so much unpredictable stories like the Bundesliga.

examples:
schalke was last year in the midfield, this year they are 2nd.
Wolfburg (current champion) won last year, this year they are in the midfield and lost pretty high against lower teams.

Also Hertha BSC was 5th last year, this year they get relegated as last.

Anyway, i like the bundeslia, even when its not the strongest.
good stadiums, healthy clubs, many visitors and unpredictable results.

Of course you get it. I agree Wolfsburg winning last year was pretty shocking and good for the league. However, it really is usually the same few teams up there.

Spurs and Man City finished 9th and 10th last year, both fighting for 4th now. Portsmouth FA Cup winners and comfortable midtable team finishing in top 10, get relegated with almost record low points (lots of internal problems though but surely not too disimilar to Hertha Berlin)

Yes the English Premiership has been dominated for too long by 4 clubs. This season it has been broken though with Man City, Spurs, Aston Villa all surpassing Liverpool. Once a team like Man City or Spurs break that top 4 and feed off the extra money CL football brings, they will stay there IMO. I dread to think how much Man City will eventually dominate if the money keeps being pumped in.

RUMOURS!!! 1ST MAY

Jermaine Beckford - Leeds to Everton - Free
Aruna Dindane - RC Lens to Blackburn - ??
John Mensah - Lyon to Sunderland - Permanent
Robert Green - West Ham to Schalke - £6m
Tommy Smith - Portsmouth to Wolves - ??
Kasper Schmeichel - Notts County to West Brom - Free