• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Yup. I tried that but right now i'm using MSN for webchats. I hear no difference in sound quality so cba with installing another proggy.

It's great technology the VoIP stuff.. and I guess we'll all be using it at some point in the future. I've not used Skype personally, but they are in the news a lot for good things it seems. Very popular.

They had this story a few days ago about their 100 millionth customer/software package.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/18/skype_ups_offer/

I've been using skype for 2 years now at work. I use it to speak to colleagues when I am abroad and I also use it to call home in the UK etc as international calls are charged at local rates. When calling landlines it is better clarity that a telephone in my experience, same goes for internet calls to other skype users. I have used it with 3 people in a conference and it was fine but never tested it with more people than that. If you just want to use it for chatting to a friend over the internet it is waaaaaaay better than msn etc.

edit.
just read your other posts. Yeh it is the pwnz for calling phones from your computer, I've used it extensively for local and international calls, very clear and never even had a glitch. So cheap as well, no line rental etc u can just top it up with a credit card. All calls are way cheaper than a land line. I put 10euros in my account a few months back and have made lots of international calls (several 1hr+ calls) and still have 7 euros left lol. Would have cost me 100s of pounds from my mobile. People I call never guess I'm calling from a computer if I don't tell them.

Think they have price list on their site....

Last edited:
I've installed it but haven't used it yet because my mike socket is used for 5.1 output. doh! Am thinking of getting one of them new fangled USB Skype phones. Free Skype to Skype to Australia sounds good to me but the Skype to landline charges depend on the location of the landline phone. Anyone know if the USB phones are any good? Only about 25 quid so I may get one anyway.

Installed and used it. Great piece of software. It's like using the phone but even better. No delays etc. it saves shitloads of money as well

Like a lot of current VoIP technology, it works best and cheapest if:

a. you don't live in the UK (or aren't paying the phone bill for the regular phone if you do); and
b. have an unmetered, uncapped internet connection.

Great idea, but let down in the UK by the fact that if you're in a non-cable/non LLU area, you're forced (at present) to get a BT telephone line, and pay line rental on that. and then pay for your internet connection, which kind of defeats the point a little.

(Heaven is paying a mimimal flat rate for an unmetered internet connection alone, and running everything through that.)

Of course, you can save a truckload if you regularly make lots of long daytime or international calls even so.