Site to compare gfx cards

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Beltroniko

Dec 23, 2001
Portugal
Anyone knows any site/prog where I can compare the performance of a gfx card to another ?

For eg compare a Geforce 3 ti200 to a GeForce FX 5600 to see if it's really worth it (would have to give more than double specs) to change, etc...

Thx in advance.

well if youre going to buy a new GFX card now I would definately recommend ATI cards, with lots of DX9 games coming up they will own the current Nvidias by far (for your case, if you want a 5600, you might consider a radeon 9600 (pro) as well )

OT: the usual suspects, such as rage3d , guru3d, beyond3d , tomshardware etc.

Best is prolly tomshardware, they have some great all round reviews but as moe says, those other site also have some info. Just go to the reviews section and you will find articles such as this http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031023/nvidia-nv38-nv36-43.html

But there really isn't much of a decision to make at present... If you have a low budget you get either an ATI 9600XT, or if you can spend a bit more the 9800 Pro 128mb which you can pick up for around £200 now... imo the 9800XT isn't worth the cash yet as it is close to £400 and offers little gain over the standard Pro.

But is it really worthy, I mean does it make ALOT as in 4x + difference from a GeForce 3 Ti200, I know it's obviously better etc... but I wanna know if its lots and lots of times better if it will really make a huge diff :)

Thx.

well the increasement always depends on the application youre trying to run with it. in any pure DX9 game, you probably reach these 4 times as much FPS (in comparison), but when it comes to current games you probably wont achieve that high improvement, a 2x sounds more realistic. but that also depends on the rest of your system - if currently your GFX card is the bottleneck, then yes the increase will be great. if the other system components cant keep up with the new card, your gain will be limited.

basically you should wait with a buy if you can run all the apps you want to run atm at the settings you desire. in other words, if there is no pressing need for it then you should wait for the next generation of cards to hit the market and make the other prices drop (IMO).

Re:

If ur going for the doggie fizzle tellevizzle grafix card the rad 9800 pro or xt as well as the FX5950 are what u want.

The 5700 and 9600 are quite evenly matched with the 9600 having a slight edge nowt ud notice in gameplay. It is with FSAA and other effects on that the rad's seem to shine although there is growing suspicion about ATI's drivers being fiddled with to give better results in benchmarking with even some game developers giving inclination to this, not that nvidia hasnt done it before, they just did it in a stupidly obvious way.

at the end of the day if ur not happy with the card u get send it back, im looking to get a 9800 or 5950 in the new year but atm they are just too expensive, I am waiting till the new year when i believe prices will start to drop slightly, and i never get the lower card down, its just not "bling" :D

To be fair you would probably notice at least 4x improvement in some of today's games going up to the 9800 Pro, probably much more in true Dx9 games soon to be released. Take for example Halo, I run that in 1280*1024 with everything on full wack and average about 80 FPS with my 9800 Pro, what would you expect to receive with a ti200 running at those settings? Certainly in older games such as UT you won't notice so much difference but in 2003 games you will.

The 5950 runs at pretty much the same speed as the 9800XT, they are very comparible cards, however Nvidia still have some trouble with full Dx9 applications and based on that if I was buying now I would certainly go for ATI until I was 110% sure the Dx9 problems had been solved. However, being the two latest cards they are well overpriced and imo not worth the £350-400 you would pay for each. Bargain of the moment in my opinion is the standard 9800 Pro 128mb which you can pick up for ~£200 and is hardly different to the XT or 5950 in performance. If you don't want to spend £200 then for about £100 you can get a 9600 Pro which will still show a huge improvement in the latest games over the ti200. In Dx8.1 games it will probably show about 2x performance games, where as in Dx9 games it will show a bit more whilst giving you the benefits of running Dx9 at the same time.

It won't really do you any harm to wait a few months anyway - there are no key games being released in the next couple months therefore you might as well wait till just before the important games are released till you upgrade thus saving yourself maximum cash. imo the best thing to do at the moment would be to wait until around March next year then see what you can pick up a 9800 Pro 128mb for...

Ok thx for advices everyone!

I'll just keep on waiting for some gfx card that will really make a huge diff.

Tbh I dun even play any games other than UT so it wouldn't be really worth it, was just wondering coz I saw a cheap FX 5600 and was wondering if it was worth it.

Thx one more time.
Happy new year.