Should Handguns be legalised?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

TexasTom

Jun 26, 2001
Birmingham UK
After the Dunblane shooting, Handguns were banned in the UK. It has not had any effect on gun crime and infact the use of Handguns has increased significantly. The banning of Handguns took the hobby of 1000's off them, and killed an industry that had thrived in the UK for decades. What do people think about them being legalised again? As we now know it has had little or no effect on gun crime or the numbers of Handguns ILLEGALLY held on the streets of most major UK cities. Here in Birmingham (UKs second city with a population of about 1 Million) there are regular news reports of shootings, mostly blamed of turf wars for drugs.

Yup legalise them. If naughty boys want to have them then they will anyway. They only effect the banning of them has had is on people that use them in a respobsible way, sporting use. Make the whole lot legal and licenced. The whole thing is easier to monitor then.

there is an loop hole in the gun laws already been know for a while, while you cant have some hand guns you can have black powder hand guns. Also any gun over a certain age is also leagal due to its historic values. Ok while your local gangster not likey to have these types of guns it just goes to show how useless the gun laws are.

old smith and western sir ? suits you

Legalizing guns will only increase the risk of getting shot for us "normal" ppl..
So I don't see the point..

When some1 is shot in 99% of the cases it's some1 involved in crime or a freaked out family member killing another family member..
So as I see it.. if you're involved in crimes that can get you shot, then you're asking for it.. If it's e.g. a man shooting his wife or the other way around. What would legalizing guns help?.. It'd actually make it worse.. :nono:

Or maybe you wanna protect your property from the evil burglars?
Well.. they expect you to have a gun they'll be sure to bring a firearm too (which is not the case now)..
Thereby increasing your chance of dying as a true hero protecting your 1337 craptronic color TV. No better way to go.. :thumb:

Very bad idea imho

Techincally guns are only as dangerous as the person operating them - we all know that much.

But as it stands right now about 99% (not fact) of the population don't have guns and don't have access to one either. You legalise hanguns and all of a sudden that number will increase.

I'm sure there would be a point of that sliding scale as to when it would be more easier to control the use and ownership of handguns, but at some point they will become as common as a mobile phone. Obvoiusly not displayed it such a way, but to the point as Swyzz mentioned above. In that people would no longer mug people with a knifle or a broken bottle, but with a gun, simply coz they know that there would be an equal chance the victim would have one aswell.

Also, you want to legalise guns then you need to arm every police officer in the UK.

Scenario

Policeman: "Stop! Your under arrest"

*criminal raises handgun*

Policeman: "Sorry, my mistake, on you go" (Whilst ducking and/or running for his life)

Legalise guns in the UK = /me emegrates to a country where there not!

The area I was brought up in, The Meadows in Nottingham, is the first place in mainland Britain to get armed officers on the beat.
Thank fook I don't live there anymore. Its scary.
Blair's total ban on handguns has been a joke.
If responsible people want to go live out their Dirty Harry fantasies on a controlled firing range, we should let them imo.
All the responsible people handed their guns in. It is probable that the Drug dealers did not.
Police shot 22 people dead from 1990 -2000.
In Liverpool, the boys in blue shot an obviously deranged man wearing pyjamas and brandishing a sword, and in Brixton they shot a man who was holding a cigarette lighter which looked like a gun. We have seen a naked, unarmed man shot in bed, a man shot by police when he was holding an air rifle and another flourishing a chair leg.
Excerpt taken from the Guardian

I am against the right to own a firearm in general. (Members of gun-clubs were strictly controlled-I have no problem with that)
God forbid we would end up like the USA in that respect.
Easiest way to control it is if you are caught with a handgun, you should get a hefty sentence. That wouldnt happen if handguns were legal.

I can own a knife, an Archery Bow, catapult or the most deadly weapon available to the general public, a car, but not a gun?? Dont make sense to me. You havent been allowed to walk the streets of the UK with a loaded Handgun for decades (1927 I think). The number of deaths with Privately owned weapons has always been very low, with most been suicides. The handgunners were made a scape goat.

OK I know I said earlier on that it's people who are dangerous, not the guns - but c'mon Tex. It's a frickin gun m8

Sole purpose of the gun is to discharge the ammo within it. That can never really be a good thing now can it?

What's next, bombs

Same as before, handled by an expert and used propelry is a danger to no-one. But it's still a bomb, the sole purpose is to detonate - never a good thing.

Now I wouldn't normally say this but bollocks.

Guns have plenty of legitimate uses from shooting rats on a farm to sporting activities.

We used to have a competitive shooting team in the Olympics until the laws on handguns were changed. After that the legitimate users were discriminated against and our team was fooked.

Is that really the same as bombs??

Bombs or more accurately, explosives, also have many "proper" uses aswell, i.e building demolition.

As for sport, well you still have Air Rifles and Air Pistols, why do we need to take it to the next level?

must admit iam glad we have gun control laws, if we didnt then hey things like could happen

america.jpg

Well there is no western country that weapon would be allowed in, unless its a blank firer :P so she would be unlucky to hurt someone with it short of picking it up and whacking them round the head with it :P

Blanks are dangerous too from a few metres, they can cause well nasty burns, happened at the base where I'm at now a few years back

Sole purpose of the gun is to discharge the ammo within it. That can never really be a good thing now can it?

:lol: as other people have said it's a good sport.

Tom's completly right in his arguments in my opinion, we can have knives and swords etc - placed delightfully on the living room wall but not firearms, which people keep locked, un loaded, in metal cabinets.

And someone said families would use a gun in arguments? most family based crimes of passion involve kitchen knives - I don't see anyone making cooking implements illegal. Crimes of passion don't involve unlocking and then loading a firearm.