Setup 2 pc's to Lan and Internet???

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

"clever and easy" ROFL it isnt exactly hard typing in some numbers yourself is it? DHCP isnt required for home networking and thats that, just makes networking easier for some people.

Frankly i dont really care how it works cos i dont need to understand how something works unless i use it / need it. (ps dont come back saying ... well this this and this server uses dhcp and ur using it just now ... cos u know wot i mean :D)

Well, for someone who knows nothing about tcp/ip, yes it is easy joko... as you go on to say yourself... trolling or did you drink tar again?

:lol: All i know is that dchp was the cause for networking problems i was having, and when i found a website about how to set ip's / gateways / subnet masks and found it wasnt all that hard i decided i wouldnt use dhcp.

Im not saying its the best choice for everyone im just letting people know from past bad experiences with it i dont like it.

Use wot u like though ... its your network innit.

DHCP sucks large, purple, sweaty, hairy donkey balls. Sorry dog & martz, but it just does.

That's all folks!

:D

Last edited:
DHCP owns, and makes life easier in the long term. I've never heard of it causing network congenstion, the only possibility would be if the router had a bug or similar problem. DHCP traffic is a few bits at most, broadcast packets containin basic requests like REQUEST DROP RELEASE ACCEPT, there is no way this could have have a negative effect on any network. So that just leaves a fault on the router.

Anyone whos geeky enough to go to a LAN party will agree, that just plugging in a computer and having receiving all the network settings (IP, subnet mask, default gateway, primary dns, secondary DNS, WINS servers (to access WANs), proxy server addresses, etc) makes it a lot easier to get going. Also allows for computers to boot from the network card and receive a bootloader, download and start an operating system image and use a dumb diskless terminal. (Wake on LAN/Win2K terminal services/Linux).

It's also used by 99% of all ISP's in the world, we're talking millions and millions of people using DHCP every day unawares. People with static IP addresses get assigned their via DHCP (with a long lease), a cable users authenticate via DHCP and mac address..

Obviously all this is not needed by the home user, but the statement "DHCP is wank" holds no truth or meaning at all to anyone who has used and benefited from this service.

Back on topic anyway:

I've just set up the same network as you are asking about Apex. It's pretty simple, although I had some problems with zone alarm interfering, so make sure you disable firewalls first (I had to competely uninstall zonealarm before it worked).

As soon as I plugged both PCs to the router the internet connection worked fine, you don't need to set anything up for that. Find out the IP of each computer and check you can ping between the two:

To find ip

Start menu / Run / Command --> type IPCONFIG and it will tell you the IP

Then go to the other computer and ping the first one:

Start menu / Run / command --> type PING "IP".

You should be able to send and receive pings both ways. You need to make sure both PCs have 'file and printer sharing' installed (Control Panel / Network)and that sharing is enabled in all the appropriate places.

Next, run the XP Network Config Wizard (just go to help and search for this) on the main PC, then on the second PC rebooting when asked. Make sure the name of the workgroup is the same for both PCs and that 'guest account' is enabled (again, just search for 'guest account' in help if you don't know how to do this).

That should be it really, network wizard does most of the stuff for you. If you run through all that and still have problems post the exact details of the problem here and I'll see if I can help further :)

My provider (kpn) says I need a hub with my current modem (touch speed home) to connect with 2 pc to the internet.

But im gonna try to make a lan with the 2 pc anyway tnx spirit m8 :up:

You said you had a 4 port router - if that is the case then you don't need a hub. The router already contains a 4 port network card which is exactly the same as a hub!

Just plug your modem into the router WAN port, then your two PCs into ports 1 and 2 of the router. Then follow the above instructions and you should be fine :D

If you don't have a router you can still do it without a hub, but you need 2 network cards in PC connected to the modem - one for the modem to plug into, then another for the 2nd PC to plug into. You'd also need a cross over lead instead of normal network cable.

You then have to muck around with internet sharing n stuff - don't know much about that myself, also for the 2nd PC to access the internet the main PC will always have to be turned on too, so you are better off with a router imho :D

Last edited:
Ok I tried to set it up at first pc to get internet connection. But I keep getting 678 error while connecting :( "cannot connect to blah blah..."

IVe got a Longshine lcs-883R-DSL-4F router. plz help

So your main computer works when connected directly to your modem, but when you put the router inbetween the two it doesn't? :hm:

If so, all I can suggest it that there is a problem with your router… maybe there is something in the admin settings that needs changing, but if all the settings are on default it should work. Do Longshine have a tech support line? If so, I would give them a call :)

First off..I don't know anything about it...but had several ppl try setting up my 2 'puters with a router. Worked ok..but the Internet provider picked it up and squashed the connection to the 2nd 'puter. So I now use 3 ethernet cards..2 in the first computer and 1 in the second. Sold the router :shout:

Martz maybe you should make a new thread here for the likes of you and dog who clearly have no interest in helping anyone with a problem. Rather you want to blurt out techy jargon and put others down to make yourselves look big. You know fine well where Joko is coming from - he is simply stating where he has had problems, potentially saving others the same grief. Do you think going into the details of DHCP serves the same helpful purpose as Jokos post....no, you're both just being pathetic (imo).

Anyway even if you are being anal and taking things very literally you are still wrong because Jokos comment "DHCP is wank", is quite a valid for a number of reasons:

1) DHCP is an unauthenticated protocol, which means "naughty" users with physical access to the DHCP-enabled network can instigate a denial-of-service attack, basically by depleting the number of leases that are available to other DHCP clients.

2)When the DHCP server is configured to act as a DNS proxy server
for DHCP clients and to perform DNS dynamic updates, it is possible for a "naughty" user to perform a denial-of-service attack against both the DHCP server and the DNS server by flooding the DHCP server with requests for leases.

3) Unauthorized, non-Microsoft DHCP servers can lease IP addresses to DHCP clients, so if a "naughty" user installs a non-Microsoft DHCP server on the organization network, nearby DHCP clients will receive incorrect leases that might conflict with the IP addresses assigned to other DHCP clients on the network.

and....

DHCP clients that obtain a lease from the non-Microsoft DHCP server can be configured by the server with option information that is inaccurate. This might reroute network traffic, causing the network to function improperly.

but most of all: although the algorithms used in DHCP are very clever they were really only developed to accommodate the need for more IPs before the new larger IP numbers can be supported by updated routers, and of course...........so isps can make more money out of us.

So, although I agree with dog and martz in that DHCP is very clever, I think they were unfair and unhelpful to both joko and the thread starter who asked for help and such should apologise to them both.

/dog runs for his copy of "IT support for dummies" and prepares a snide reply :p: