Server Blocking P2P connections

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

syphus

When God was handing out chins, I was so stoned I
Jun 27, 2001
Lisbon
Hello lads,

good to see you all. I remember coming here because where better to find help to a problem then in your good old internet computer freaks like me :)

Ok my problem is i have internet now only in office work, and it runs by a server, i always were able to download torrent files, use IRC, teamspeak, etc...
But recently because there is a governmental office next to mine they decided to cut the P2P connections so they dont get distracted during there work. That means bam everyone in the building got the same treatment.

So i no longer can download torrent files connect to IRC or use Teamspeak bloody bastards.
A friend told me about HTTP-tunnel a program that is suppose to make everything run as if it was a a internet page view but a tried it configured it but still u torrent cannot connect... sucks so hard

Can anyone help me out solving this issue is there any program something that might help me out pass by this security measure?

Thank in advance and nice to come here again :)

Rod.

I remember a guy at my work (We also have this gay restrictions on every site..)

Luckily the home (webspace) is still avaible, in my case Http://home.casema.nl/username/
So at home he uploaded some sort of tunnel to the webspace and he used his PC at home to send the data to his work or something :P

Needless to say when they figured out what he did he got fired.

The link you followed here points to page that doesn't exist, or has been removed.

:/

That was an example link to a user's home folder. I think what sneez is saying is you set up a tunnel server at home then use the client from work to connect to the server om a port that is open. You can then go anywhere you want from your home connection over the tunnel.

If that makes no sense...give up and get some work done! :P

it makes sense still as i stated in my first post i only have internet in the office not at home :(

1. Get yourself a shell or a webserver that allows SOCKS5 connection (if you go for a webserver, make sure you can make SSH connections - just a shell would be easiest).
2. Download putty
3. Configure putty to create a dynamic tunnel using SOCKS5, so it forwards traffic to an open port on ur office pc (if you don't know which ports are allowed, do a portscan, use tcpview or whatever).
4. Enable SSL-256 encryption on the tunnel (i guess it will be enabled by putty by default)
5. Open your torrent application, and use your tunnel to download your torrents.
6. Voila.

BTW - if you don't want to pay, there are free shell accounts available, you should google for it and look for a proper one (there are good accounts, but too many crap, so will be hard to find them).

Last edited:
Ok after reading the explanations it seems way to complicated for me!
But thanks for the tip Joko i will give it a good read on the guide maybe that will help me somehow!
would be lovely that one installed program would solve the problem hehe
ty for all the help in case someone as more tips, please keep them coming.

Rod

RODDIE!

Fuck sake u portugese tart, why dont u come on irc from time to time :D

Sorry this isnt helping ur issue, but i felt i had to say it anyway! :P

RODDIE!

Fuck sake u portugese tart, why dont u come on irc from time to time :D

Sorry this isnt helping ur issue, but i felt i had to say it anyway! :P

Gaz you Gimp :P

guess whyyyy you slow tit because i cannot connect to p2p therefor i cant go to IRC lol

Think Gaz before typing !!!! hahaha

kiss*

There isn't an HTTP torrent program is there? :P I've got the same problem as Syphus :(

Gaz you Gimp :P

guess whyyyy you slow tit because i cannot connect to p2p therefor i cant go to IRC lol

Think Gaz before typing !!!! hahaha

kiss*

:lol: !

Yeah very good point mate, i didnt really read much of your thread sorry :P Guess the title should have been enuf!

Anyways, i dont need ur excuses, get it sorted!

I wish i could fix it thats why i came here but it seems to be quite a delicate subject!

I don't suppose you can set in your torrent program options to use other ports than the usual torrent ports if they are being blocked?

For irc you can get a shell account somewhere and run irssi (command line irc) on it and use putty to connect to it.

I guess if headcase is talking about putty then he's using ssh as well?

Either way running an ssh server on your home pc and tunnelling to it from work is your best option here. Using programs like putty lets you control your pc at home from your pc at work, and you can set it up to use any port. E.g. you connect to irc at home and then ssh into that pc from work and you can use irc.

As sneez pointed out, most network admins will get pretty pissed off if you're doing this without their permission, but ssh is encrypted so they shouldn't be able to see what you're doing, just that you are using abnormal amounts of bandwidth.

That's pretty much what I was getting at - but he says there's no net connection at home I think - therefore he would need to pay for shell access somewhere where you can run programs like irssi. Takes a bit of setting up and learning to do it but it should work. What your bosses think though is again a bit debatable.

Man, if the company decided to block in and outgoing p2p connections as you mentioned in your first post they surely did this for a good reason (you said, "so they don´t get distracted during work"). If they monitor the firewall now and notice an increase in network traffic you might get in deep shit for doing this.

Well seems like I'm f***** then, i don't have inet at home headcase as i stated before, so i guess without having problems then i should just deal with it and don't do shit.

Looks like a no solution problem.

:(

What about getting yourself a connection at home instead then or is it to expensive?