Scripting the windows registry (wmi/vbscript)

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

dog

Make the pie higher!!!
Jun 8, 2001
2ft. infront of you
Anyone here who have any experience in scripting the windows registry?

Basically I have to make a script that will:

check the existence of a key:

if key exists:
check usergroup has read/write access
if not grant it
else
create empty key
modify permissions (see above)
end if

The short of the long is that m$ has made a err in 2k pro, which renders users unable to use citrix wan client 7.0+. The HKLM\Software\Micro...\MSLicensing key needs to allow either domain users or authenticated users read/write access, and does not by default. I have to distribute a cd to a shitload of users, I can't directly support. So I figured I could script my way out and correct the err, prior to installing the client. The problem is, I can not find a way to check for a specified usergroups permission in the registry, only as the current user, which doesn't help much, as they would most likely install as admin or a equiv. Since I can't guarantee they will be using a domain, I want to provide authenticated users the rights needed.

So far what I have is:

Code:
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
objShell.Exec "%comspec% /k reg.exe SAVE HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/MSLicensing mslicensing.hiv"

' Et par constants og variables:
Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
strComputer = "."
strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing"
strEntryName = ""
Set ObjReg = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel = impersonate}!\\" & _
    strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

varMSLicensing = objReg.GetStringValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath, strEntryname)

If varMSLicensing <> 0 then

Elseif varMsLicensing = 0 then
		ObjReg.Createkey(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath)

End if

But as is quite evident, the crucial bits are missing ;)
EDIT: Clarifying.

Last edited: