Request to the mappers

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

H

HaDeS UK

when you update a map, give it a different name ffs. Everytime you play custom maps you get version mismatches. Maybe label them with (a) or (b) after them.

ie

RiverbedAL(a)

this will stop you getting version mismatches, and make everyone happy, and renaming the map aint that difficult is it.

Thnx

HAdes

Re: Request to the mappers

Totally agree, having players drop out due to mismatch sux, specially when the maps that dont work are dl:ed from the files section of this site:(

The most used convention for naming updates is a three digit number, assuming the original takes on 100, which means that the first update should be called AS-RiverbedAL101. This is widely used for CTF, where usermodified maps (zoning & minor bug corrections) are rather common, as you'll know if you frequent some servers running anything but the default maps :)

It's a good ID scheme, and IMO the league would benefit from implementing it, as it would also rid the problem with different versions of a map running on different servers, say the league ones & the Demon custom ones.

Shaitan

Agreed. The whole thing is getting complicated now. Owing to reinstall probs caused by a hard to determine DVD drive failure, I ended up reinstalling UT 3 times recently (don't ask). And trying to find out which mods and maps to install is a nightmare. maybe I should just pay more attention but I can't be arsed.

Tw:) nk:)

Well updated maps like RiverbedAL are only for the league, sure if the guy who made it and would add numbers at the end would help out in some servers "but" there would be complaing about the last numbers in league matches also.
You should take a look at the UTA site more often :)
As you know AL "assault league" map versions are made especially for the league, if other servers still want to use them they should update them also.

And if people are getting dropped during a match then they aren´t well informed by their clan leader that should check those things, are they?

pretty ignorant point of view Grz, isn't it. Numeration would hurt nobody but help a lot, don't see your points there besides the "need to talk".

I have to agree with Quapil here, there's not one sensible reason not to implement a naming scheme that ensures that ppl don't get version mismatches, I reckon the only reason it hasn't been done so far is noone thought about it...

I can do it in the future, but renaming older maps now would be even more confusing I think.

UNless we find majors bugs that can't be fixed by mutater.

I got a feeling GolgothaAL could have 1 or 2, due to some triggers not being big enuf, but pretty minor and prolly be able to fix using mutater

Hey, u are an excellent mapper, I was just saying it's possible there could be bugs found later like u said u could have overloooked and it amde the radius bigger, making it possible to trigger from under the level.

PPl could find a launch that totally unbalances the map, making and update necesary. The reason i spoted here was so other ppl would read it and see for themself if it's an issue or not, most ppl may not think it's an issue, others will go : AHHHH that's why that one time I got top top and breached but had to start from very beginning again.

I bypassed the trigger zone once or twice and so did some1 else by accident while we were playing around on the map.

Don't get me wrong, my fav map is RiverbedAL as many ION know and I think golgotha may be my 2nd fav once I get to know it, but as u know Golgotha had a few small bugs.

I understand what u are going through, putting a lot of hard work into ur maps, u are undoubtable one of the top 2 mappers along with Mier, personally I prefer RiverbedAL maps, but others prefer Bridge, u spent a lot of hard work and few ppl bother to say a map is nice, but many point out all it's flaws or just say it sucks.

All I said was Golgotha may have 1 or 2 small bugs, but they could prolly be fixed by a mutater (ie Leagueassault). I didn't think u would take it like this :/

The maps u make nowadaysARE GREAT Grz
and dont listen to lamers who just want to look as they are experts :moon2: concentrate on finshing your new maps:drool: :)

The only post I hate are the ones that say "This map sux" with no explanation of why "it sux". If you can't post why it sux don't bother posting at all.

I remember reading some where that mappers should only worry about pleasing one person, themselves. So if other say they don't like it, @#$'um :)

Thats why I mostly play with different nicks so people stop bugging me

different names = you real life name ? I saw a player ((((Grzegorz)))) or something like that on publics sometimes
and I read the .txt files to your maps where you can read the real name of the author, so maybe thats you ? :P

anyway, Bridge owns, RiverbedAL owns even more (cheers Mi5 :D) and I guess at least one of your coming-soon maps will own too :D