remove (logical) bad sectors from HDD

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Hardcore

(Taki)
Jun 8, 2001
Germany
Hi everyone,

my old laptop HDD (2,5", 40GB) had a few bad sectors. I don't know exactly, how they "occured", but the past two years the device worked fine - without any problems.

Now after messing that HDD up by being a stupid idiot, who does not deserve his degree in computer engineering, I got a replacement HDD from a friend of mine (2,5", 60GB).

I had used DriveImageXML to backup the system partition (WinXP Pro on it, NTFS) from time to time before, so now I just restored an image of the old system partition to the new HDD (formatted it accordingly before, using a GParted Live CD).

My problem: Now there are some sectors marked as "bad" on that drive (or partition only? That, itself is not a big problem, but e.g. GParted is unable to execute most of its features while there are still bad sectors on that HDD. So obviously I want to get rid of these bad sectors as I think the newer HDD does not have any. And if it has some - they are not gonna be at the exact same place :D.

GParted tells me to do, what I had done myself already, of course:
chkdsk d: /f /r /x , but the bad sectors do not disappear.
Next thing to try was Hiren's Boot CD and it's "bad sectors recovery" tool(s). I used "HDD regenerator" to wipe the errors off butt... 0 bad sectors found. So it does not repair any of them and they just stay...

Chkdsk run under windows still mentions the bad sectors in its report...

Do you know of a way to remove these?
Thank you very much in advance!!
(and sorry in case there are errors or unclarities. i am very tired atm for some reason)

Cheers,
Taki

nope. (i have a ubuntu live cd, which is really handy sometimes. but i don't know, which linux tools to use for this problem). do you know any offered by knoppix or ubuntu, that could help?

Vista and newer OS have the option of CHKDSK /B which reevaluates bad sectors

:lol: I know that is of no use to you as you are running XP but may help someone else in the future :D

as MYM says but if you search for w7_pe_RescuePE__v13_.iso

boot from cd this allows you to run win 7 cmd line tools

and run chkdsk with /f/r/b

chk pm btw

thank you! will try that!

it still confuses me, how those "low level" tools (okay - I only tried one) don't find/repair any bad sectors. i used that tool before, when my old HDD was still in the laptop and it worked back then. at least it said "repaired" x bad sectors. ahhhhhh maybe they don't check for the logical flag but try to find a real/physical bad sector?

but then again, these tools are there to "repair" these bad sectors by removing the flag, checking the sector again and leaving the flag un-asserted in case that check is successful... so i would assume that these tools look for the logical flag in the first place??