Recommended books...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
I know this isn't music or film, but it nearly is, so mwah.

What books would you recommend I or anyone else read? Every so often I go on a book buying binge at Amazon or Waterstones, so now is the time to tell me what books are good before I spend my student loan on them.

Here's my list of ones I strongly urge you to get yesterday if not later:

1984 (George Orwell): Most amazing book I've ever read, from it came pop-culture concepts like Big Brother and Room 101. Fucking incredible and added to which it
doesn't have a happy ending!
Get Animal Farm while you're at it.

Any of his six earliest books (James Herriot): Second best book(s) I ever read. There is also no better gift to get for eg. a young cousin or niece or friend's kid who is interested in animals and reading. I got a Herriot omnibus when I was 12 for a birthday present and I still have it. Must have read it over 200 times.

Any of his earlier Sherlock Holmes books (Arthur Conan Doyle): If you haven't got a Sherlock Holmes omnibus you'll remain a moron until you get one. Everything you've heard about how great these books are is true. The stories got a bit silly in the later books but the earlier you go the more unsurpassed they are, even today.

Night Watch (Terry Pratchett): Not a good introduction to the Discworld books and heavily based on A Tale Of Two Cities, but even after having read all the preceding DW books this still blew me away. Still his best book I think.

Got more but I'm more interested in yours. Only serious suggestions please :trout:

The Dark Tower: writing it in red for some reason

Last edited:
The Dark Tower: writing it in red for some reason

worth writing in red, and yes, Stephen King, and yes I'm sure :p:

Another Stephen King that i couldnt put down was Desperation. Considerably shorter than the 7 book series of The Dark tower. TBH tho, if you dont read alot of SK then dark tower may not be as enjoyable, he brings a lot of his other books into the story throughout so you might miss some elements / additons as a result.

If you cba to read it all, its on audio book as well :nod: