(random?) bsp holes and other bugs

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

DaTeL

=]DoG[=Food
Oct 23, 2002
Holland
Ok...I've been wondering......sometimes after I compile something, I end up with some bugs/holes.......now when I compile it again, they're gone.....
then when I compile yet again, they might still be gone, or have come back.....

wtf....are these just random bugs eud puts in on purpose or something??????

heres a piccie to demonstrate.....the red borders indicate the bug

Attachments

• bugged.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 70
bsp holes are polygons/objects who arent "partitioned" properly and dont get shown/rendered

to summon it up v. quickly.. bsp trees are used to determine what the engine has to render and what not. (for optimization reasons) sometimes this goes wrong for whatever reasons.. (this usually gets calculated during the "compiling" fase of ur map.)

move ur objects a bit and they seem to dissapear(afaik) but then again i aint an experienced mapper :) nothing u can do about it other then trying to avoid sloppy mapping.

Rel@x said:
nothing u can do about it other then trying to avoid sloppy mapping.

I wanna bet that even a map built from only 512x512x512 cubes will even have bsp holes.....
:( crappy ued :(

very unlikely :)

a random HOM as you described it never happened to me. either it is there very time or its not, this can either be changed with the two sliders in the built option or change in geometry.

HOMs are very strange phenomens, they can occur due to every imaginable reason :\ they have a thousand causes and as much ways to get rid of em. if there is a bsp hole nearby (unlit places were you crater randomly or can leave the subtracted room) its very likely the cause. but it can also occur near zone portals, due to a lot of nodes (high node/poly ration), due to very weird coordinates (no whole binary numbers)

your screenshot doesnt look as it has a BSP hole nearby. my advise is try and lower the brush above it or add some decoration semisolids or solids if semis dont help.

EDIT: o wait i think i know whats wrong:
i suppose you used an invissible brush to support the visible sheet brush to get it solidity. if this invisible one cuts the wall it will produce a hom in the part of the surface where the brushes cut.

Last edited:
Also...I should mention that when I use the "Built all" I'm V likely to get these bugs

tho when I press "Build bsp" then "Compile Lighting" I hardly get any bugs.....

when you build all the engine is gonna optimize nodes more. this step is neither implemented in BSP nor lighting. if you dont build all you node/poly ratio is gonna be 3 or higher usually. its not a good idea to leave it this way, rather build all and change you geometry in order not to get the hom. also try making the brush a full solid.

K It's fixed...... I've made the semisolids all over, in another way.....and made 'em full solid......working fine now

thnx everybody (read: thnx sobo:thumb:)