Ram A Lam A Ding Dong

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Hector

What? No, I'm asking you, what?
Nov 6, 2001
London
ANyone know a way of checking if my ram is the problem behind my machine rebooting when it's "thinking"? Is there an online check or summat?

there are little dos utilities you can put on a floppy disk and run at boot-up process, they take some hours to check every bit of your memory so you can see if its faulty or not.
but I forgot any names or URLs now that I wrote this :p

ah THAT is the one I meant, but I thought "memtest" was too simple to be true when I wrote the above :p:

thats true, memtest runs before windows boot and can thoroughly test your memory, while sandra actually is a windows software - and I dont think all the RAM can be tested bit by bit while windows is running? correct me on anything if Im wrong tho.

You are right. You can test your RAM fully only if you boot from A:. I'v never seen prog for testing (hardware prob) RAM under Windows or any other system couse it's impossible to check whole memory area while some system is loaded inside.

As far as i remember i was using Goldenmemory or something like that. I don't remeber exact name atm but mamtest should be ok as well.

If your RAM is broken you probably should see bsod VERY often and if you're using WindowsXP your system should not even boot. XP is a nice mem tester by it's self couse it's fucking big that if some area in your ram is broken windows will find it.

If your are using win98 or something else this can be bit harder to find. Use one of the testers mentioned before.

GL

Am running memtest now. But I never get a bsod at all. I can be exporting audio in Cubase, trying to install Quicktime or something like that and *Chunk- whirrr* it reboots.

*cough* virus *cough*
could be a power failure aswell - or another hardware problem.

Pete said:
*cough* virus *cough*
could be a power failure aswell - or another hardware problem.

No viruses on the machine. And it might be power, but then when it's not doing anything or web surfing it's quite happy.

It might be "another hardware problem" . I can't imagine it's anything that specific though :P

to find out if its a PSU problem, try running a game or system benchmark for ~ 30 minutes. If your PC crashes during that, you may have to replace the PSU; I recommend putting in a stronger one from another PC (for tests) before you buy a new one tho.
however, I dont think installing quicktime is a very resource-intensive task, so that power story is highly unlikely tbh.

Reactions: Casper
Memtest has already come up with a problem. It doesn't say whether it's a ram, cpu, motherboard, etc problem but I''m swapping the sticks around and checking out what I can.

Assuming ur running XP, if the machine is just rebooting then try looking at event viewer/system in control panel/administration tools to see if its logging any errors like driver fault etc

Alternatively turn the autoreboot off so you can actually see the BSODs, control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery, automatically reboot - unticked

if you are willing to work on a slower machine you can put the mem speed slower
it works for me, and tbh the difference is not really big.

but use the link above to determine the exact problem and see from their, when you analyse it comes up with some suggestions you can use to improve performance

Hector said:
Memtest has already come up with a problem. It doesn't say whether it's a ram, cpu, motherboard, etc problem but I''m swapping the sticks around and checking out what I can.
Tried tweaking up the ram voltage a notch? U got a new rig recently, doesnt have one of those lowload rated lownoise psu's does it? being particularly (spelling) susceptible to powernoise like when some heavy current using gear goes on nearby - nearby being same transformerblock.
Any hardware monitors reading any values (temp/voltages/fan rpms) out of good operating ranges? (try e.g. monitor monitor)
Pushing ur memory with too hard timings? Try something like CPU-Z to read ur SPD on the ram and actual operating settings.