QUAD or DUAL

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Dj_AL

-)EaS*
Nov 3, 2002
Lund (Sweden)
Guys i need some help. Only serious answers please.

Im thinking to buy the

Intel 3,0Ghz DUAL

or

Inter QUAD 2,66Ghz

What do you think is best in the long term?

Anyone had problems with UT with Quad? And whats the problem then?!

Any other inputs?

//DJ

When you say i7 vs Core2 then you should also take in consideration that theres a big price difference of the other components.
i7 only supports DDR3, which is more expensive than DDR2. Also the mainboards cost more than Core2 counterparts.

Imho get the i7 qhadcore. Some games alrdy benefit from quads and with the new Socket system you are rdy for the future and further i7s

Thankfully DJ was so smart and gave us his max. budget :rolleyes:

Seriously, how much are you wanting to spent?

money might not be the issue here

diffrence between teh CPUs are like 100euros s might be worht i7.

AND yes i know i need to buy the motherboard supports ddr 3 isntead. could be worth it yes?

if i play a 720P movie same time as im gaming its better to use quad or?

ive got of monitors also connected to the computer.

Thing is im gonna play UT run IRC, watch alot of movies and "surf internet" same time on 3 monitors.

what to prefer? might be 300Euros more expensive but worth it if im readu for the future.?!

thats what ur saying

I'm on a Quadcore with 2,66Ghz, runs smoothly and no problems yet, everything is fast, especially helpful when you do things/work simultanously.

no problems with UT yet, altho I've read some guys here had probs with Quads or Dual cores...

Sounds like an excellent buy there dj :)

DJ, i just got the i7 940 it totally rocks, but i will use it for more than play UT ofcourse :)

I got serious issues with my new nvidia card thou, mouselag and strange behaviour in UT,hopefully its some setting to fix it, and not my i7 cpu :)

DJ, i just got the i7 940 it totally rocks, but i will use it for more than play UT ofcourse :)

I got serious issues with my new nvidia card thou, mouselag and strange behaviour in UT,hopefully its some setting to fix it, and not my i7 cpu :)

Mc and I have had similar problems.

Mc has the quad and has had an unsolvable mouse lag for over a year, I am on a dual athlon and whilst I don't get mouse lag, screen tearing often happens (during dodges mainly) but you can get used to that and reduce it by setting the right frame limits.

Anyway, if you want a PC for UT just get a decent 'old', single core one.

I upgraded my PC to play UT3 and haven't loaded that game for about 10 months, lol

Mc and I have had similar problems.

Mc has the quad and has had an unsolvable mouse lag for over a year, I am on a dual athlon and whilst I don't get mouse lag, screen tearing often happens (during dodges mainly) but you can get used to that and reduce it by setting the right frame limits.

Anyway, if you want a PC for UT just get a decent 'old', single core one.

I upgraded my PC to play UT3 and haven't loaded that game for about 10 months, lol

come irc/wow !

Ok so you think DUAL 3,0 is a better choice then.

I wont play any other games as i have no time for it. I need though a 1 gigg gfx ATI Radeon card to all monitors.

So perhaps dual is enough then.....

I don't know what all the fuss is about with that mouselag and shit.

I've had an intel quad 2.40 ghz for over a year, same monitor as mc, and I think nearly the same vid card (but I only have 1 video card not 2 -_- )

I didn't overclock anything, I run win xp.

and i never had any single problem with ut whatsoever regarding any kind of lag - related to my computer not my internet connection obviously.

so imo if u run winxp and dont overclock, even with a quad core, you shouldnt get ANY problem related to the cpu or graphic lag.

oh and I didnt have to run any program at all to control my framerate or some such, really no tweaks were needed none at all.

Last edited:
That's the point html, some people have problems some don't. It's luck of the draw whether or not you will have problems. Do a google search and there are lots and lots of forum threads about mouse lag and what not with dual/quad cores

Last edited: