Pug League - Coming Soon / Discussion Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

How often should we run the Pug League Tournaments?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

X-Bomb

Aug 16, 2001
London
We are on the verge of releasing a new league very soon for those players who find that league wars just dont work for them anymore. (whatever the reason)

I decided that it would be a good idea to merge the pug system into a cup/tournament structure, my reasoning is that both #utapug and cup tournaments have had high appeal over the past few years......the result is the pug league.

To get an idea of what its about please read the news post on the site: http://pug.utassault.net and have a play around with it.

If you have any further questions please ask here.

The website is currently filled with dummy data to give you an idea of how it will work. Its not "LIVE" yet - we still need to sort out the automatic server setup system, Timo is working on this but is due for a Holiday soon. I'm hoping it will be all sorted for a tournament at the start of September, but cant guarantee it. We can host tournaments that are manually set-up at the moment.

I've opened up the site so that you guys get a feel for what its about and can provide some feedback on the format of the tournaments.

I have not decided on how often we should have these tournaments (the website says monthly but its open for debate). I have attached a poll, you have 1 vote and 4 options

1. Weekly Tournaments
2. Bi-Weekly Tournaments
3. Monthly Tournaments
4. Occasional Tournaments

My pros and cons for weekly/bi-weekly tournaments:
Pros:
1. We get into a habit that Sunday is pug tournament night and it could reignite that competitive feeling we had many years ago when we had good clan wars every week.
2. Bi-weekly tournaments (maybe weekly will be too "heavy", I think its a nice compromise).

Cons:
1. Could become boring if its every week
2. Could interfere with league matches

My pros and cons for Monthly/Occasional tournaments:
Pros:
1. Monthly - Fresh feeling that there is a tournament around the corner
2. Occasional - We can plan them when most people will be available and make a real "Occasions" out of them.

Cons:
1. Nobody will know if they will be available 1 month in advanced...everyone will signup in the last week....on that basis we might as well do weekly tournaments.

P.S If you are not visible on the league table, just login with your UTA user and pw and you should appear on the site/league table.

very good idea ! but i have some critics (think that s what this thread is for):

- at least for me sunday is a very bad day to play... will it be on sunday only? do i get this right?

- when it comes to serious competition: server is unfair for everyone outside uk... if you have tables of "leading country"... will there be an option for other servers not located in uk?

besides that good idea !

okay good idea but hmmmm
indeed the main problem here is the occurence of these tournaments
if its weekly, it might become too much and completly kill the league
and if its monthly you are sure to have people not showup, I mean saying 1 month in advance wether you can play or not is gonna be pretty hard to tell, I can just imagine volunteering as captain and not having 2 of my first 4 picks showup for any game :/

on that basis alone I guess the bi-weekly compromise is best but...

633824049006071090-SkepticalHippo.jpg

can't wait to see if it does work though! :thumb:

also : CUSTOM MAPZ PLOX AKA SIEGE 3 GLADIATOR UWMS MANTICORE and on a more serious note, vampire and bioassaultsmantv6!!!!!

Last edited:
lol at :"It is up to the captain who plays if we have more then 6 players per team"

why not make it like pug system : first ppl who sign get to play for sure ?

the idea sound fun :D

Really liking this idea. Rather well thought out.

Any ideas on the maplist? Same as PUG?

very good idea ! but i have some critics (think that s what this thread is for):

- at least for me sunday is a very bad day to play... will it be on sunday only? do i get this right?

- when it comes to serious competition: server is unfair for everyone outside uk... if you have tables of "leading country"... will there be an option for other servers not located in uk?

besides that good idea !

It will mainly be Sunday, Thursday is another possibility. Friday and Sat are not good and other days are not good as soccer is usually on;)

I dont think the servers matter too much for the Country League Table. When the teams are picked we should have an even distribution of players from each country. I haven't even got around to arranging servers yet.

Ulv said:
Really liking this idea. Rather well thought out.

Any ideas on the maplist? Same as PUG?

Maplist will most likely be league maps. Will replace AsthenosphereAL with SE and add Dustbowl to the choice.

+1

all seems really well thought out , only thing i noticed it maybe on second line put in the website to sign up to get a UTA account as ctf players etc may not know what to do if they fancied trying it

edit: i take it all the stats on there are just to show what it will be like , or have i missed the signup lol

Last edited:
no you havent missed the signup, its just made up data to show you what its like. The data will be reset and I will announce when its officially open.

since some asked for an update, the league should hopefully start sometime next month. it will be a bi weekly tournament and ill be looking to make it weekly if it proves to be popular.

ok i wont have any further details until tomorrow or saturday, but the pug league will be open this sunday - if i can get 2 servers to host the tournament. Short notice I know...but I know you will be there:) a full thread with further details in the next day or so.

Last edited:
I will have my new PC by the end of the month, count me in from that moment on!