PStwo and DS details

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Inferno

Greatness Personified
Jun 8, 2001
Canada
Well, as some of you may know, there have been rumours of a "PStwo" (a smaller version of the PS2, like the PSone) floating around for the last few weeks and Sony has finally officially anounced it's existence. It's 75% smaller than the PS2 and will ship in both North America ($150) and Europe (150 Euros) on Nov 1. It will also include a built-in network adapter.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/21/news_6107997.html

And now on to the DS...
The DS will launch in the US on Nov 21 (doesn't say when in Europe, though...) for $150 and will include a demo of the new Metroid Prime: Hunters game and Pictochat will be built into the hardware so you can "chat wirelessly with each other--right out of the box." The battery will last 6-10 hours (quite a bit better than the PSP's predicted 2-8 hours) and the DS will be unable to play GB and GBC games (but will play GBA games) so don't get rid of that GBA just yet. And, lastly, the DS will come in the silver and black models already shown (though multicoloured versions will surely be released eventually).

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/21/news_6107998.html

definatly getting DS, as i only buy Nintendo stuff + dont wanna pay £200+ for a walking ps2 thatll die if u drop it

Why would you only buy Nintendo stuff? I'm a fan of Nintendo and their games but that doesn't mean I'm going to limit myself to their hardware (I have an Xbox and had a PS2 but it crapped out on me).

Personally, I'm planning on getting a DS -- though not until there are enough good games to warrant a purchase -- but that doesn't mean I'm not going to buy a PSP eventually (assuming it doesn't suck).

Prolly the same price as the PS2 is now (150 dollars/euros), although it'll be part of a price dropping for the original ps2, just like what they did with the psx/psone.

Yeah, the price is staying the same as the PS2.

Actually, I'm surprised they're releasing the PStwo already, I'm pretty sure the PSone didn't come out until shortly before the PS2 (the PS3 is predicted to come out in 2006).

i felt like buying the PSP coz i havent played MGS or GTA but i would miss Mario and Zelda games too much! and also PSP too expensive

edit: btw when is PSP coming out? any1 know?

I don't think Sony's announced an official release date yet (though I'm pretty sure they said early 2005 in Japan). They also haven't announced the price. Honestly, I expect the PSP to turn out like every other competitor Nintendo's had in the handheld market but if it doesn't that could be a very good thing (competition breeds innovation).

Disregard my last post. $300...ahahahahahahaha!

http://etoychest.org/news.php?item.1909
At the Tokyo Game Show the price of the PSP was finally announced, at least for the Japanese market. This thanks to a bit of a faux pas by Sony’s German Managing Director Manfred Gerdes when he let the price of ¥33000 slip. For those without a calculator, that puts the handheld, sexy as it may be, as the indigestible price of over $300. While of course this is unconfirmed, if proves true this would not only spell certain doom for the sexy money pit, but it also would help further solidify that Nintendo is the king, sire, and corporeal deity over all things portable. If anything comes of this you will be sure to read it here. Until then, please keep the laughing to a dull roar.
Sony must want Nintendo to win the handheld war.

lol pld sony!

edit: actually, thats quite good since its about £170 and i and many other ppl thought it would be £200+

Reactions: Anni
No, that isn't good. They're competing with the DS (whether they want to admit it or not) and that's only going to be $150. The problem is compounded by lame features (movies and music seem like good ideas but you need to buy the movies on UMD and you have to store the music on a memory stick), low battery life (2-8 hrs), and the fact that because of the moving parts the PSP will probably be too fragile. Also, keep in mind that Sony has a history of downplaying problems with their products. In short, the PSP is doomed.

Rivaldo said:
lol pld sony!

edit: actually, thats quite good since its about £170 and i and many other ppl thought it would be £200+

$300 means its gonna be 249.99 or 299.99 here imo

I was getting more and more exited about the PSP recently, but after the last E3 and Tokio Gameshow it appears that the PSP still has battery-life problems, overheating problems and during a demoshow the thing refused to work at all.

So I've ordered an import Nintendo DS with Mario DS at ebay since the thing is universal =D
I can't wait to get my cheesy little hands on it, it'll be a very important piece of equipment for me as I'll need it to remain sane during the "holidays with family" bollox for new years eve :D

I'll post some big-smile pics when I have it =D

I'd have done that, but I have to have something to do over there, and Mario DS will keep me busy for a while I guess =) 150 stars and 4 characters to play with makes the game a bit more than a direct, lame port. And even though there are plenty of great N64 games that I'd like to see ported I want to see a lot more exclusives this time; Nintendo went a bit far with re-releasing old SNES classics on the Advance for my taste.

But around EU launch I suppose there will be a lot more titles to look forward to, but that's 3 months away. (The announcement of a Goldeneye 64 port with wireless multiplayersupport for 16 players got me drooling pretty fast, even though it's basically a port :p:)
And if my Ebay bid lasts I'll be getting it with Mario DS for €149, which is a clean price for an import I'd say! =D

Errr, I remember a rumour about a Goldeneye port but that's it. I don't think it would be possible since EA has the 007 rights but they don't own the game or even the engine.