Program priorities in XP Task Manager...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
Is there any util that allows you to force XP into using certain priorities for certain programs, rather than having to do it manually through the TM every time I use the programs? Like with Winrar I'm sick of having to lower its priority so that other progs don't freeze while Winrar is working - I'd prefer to have XP lower the priority itself every time I open Winrar.

Thanks DB but it's not just Winrar and not all programs have a priority option (HJSplit, Cool Edit, AV). And uzi? Fo.

uZi: Don't help Useless
Useless: uZi fo

Both have convincing arguements.

Seems to me Useless there was a way to finagle that, but I don't remember/know and I'd be very interested in doing the same.

well, but you can save the setted priority for the program. it aint working?
Also you can set priority via process explorer. Dunno if it handles the rules differently form the TM.

uzi and smant :nono:

Last edited:
Or you could alter the shortcut to the exe, cant remember the switch usage exactly, something like /belownormal to make it one lower etc

Bart: I use process explorer. I don't have an option to save. Windows XP Media Center edtion is prolly why.

You can use the start command in a .bat file or something like that.

Code:
Starts a separate window to run a specified program or command.

START ["title"] [/Dpath] [/I] [/MIN] [/MAX] [/SEPARATE | /SHARED]
[/LOW | /NORMAL | /HIGH | /REALTIME | /ABOVENORMAL | /BELOWNORMAL]
[/WAIT] [/B] [command/program]

[parameters]
"title" 	Title to display in window title bar
path 	Starting directory
/B 	Start application without creating a new window. The application has ^C handling ignored. Unless the application enables ^C processing, ^Break is the only way to interrupt the application
/I 	The new environment will be the original environment passed to the cmd.exe and not the current environment
/MIN 	Start window minimized
/MAX 	Start window maximized
/SEPARATE 	Start 16-bit Windows program in separate memory space
/SHARED 	Start 16-bit Windows program in shared memory space
/LOW 	Start application in the IDLE priority class
/NORMAL 	Start application in the NORMAL priority class
/HIGH 	Start application in the HIGH priority class
/REALTIME 	Start application in the REALTIME priority class
/ABOVENORMAL 	Start application in the ABOVENORMAL priority class
/BELOWNORMAL 	Start application in the BELOWNORMAL priority class
/WAIT 	Start application and wait for it to terminate
command/program 	If it is an internal cmd command or a batch file then the command processor is run with the /K switch to cmd.exe. This means that the window will remain after the command has been run.

If it is not an internal cmd command or batch file then it is a program and will run as either a windowed application or a console application.
parameters 	These are the parameters passed to the command/program

So you'll make a .bat, in it write something like:
Code:
start "blahprogram title" /D "c:\program files\blahprogramfolder" /LOW "c:\program files\blahprogramfolder\blahblah.exe"

@ Bart - Thx m8 but like smant I don't have that option, in proc exp or TM :(

@ Mym - Would surely work but only if I open the program from its root, rather than from a file. I tend to open apps via files, which would skip the shortcut, thereby having no effect on the switch.

@ pinny - You've spoken to me before, what on earth made you think I could understand a single character in that post? Thx anyway but it's way over my head :P