Problems with Ping F1...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

dErzOnk

Jan 28, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Hi there,

well long story short:

My F1 ping is jumping up and down (from 0 to 300) in UT online games... even when the F6 ping is stable. As i know thats impossible... and UT feels wierd, i can't hit anything in the next moment it works fine...

I use OpenGL3.4, i changed my LAN adapter - i reconfigured my router (Dlink DGL430), i configured my Conecctions settings, and my ISP knows me personally... nothing makes a change to this F1 ping jumping...

My monitor is a TFT26'' i play at 1280*1024 4:3 my GFX 275GTX should easy handle this...

i disabled Threaded optimizations and Vsync at nVida control center...

this story is very sad, i mean i like to have a low ping would be nice, but i'm okay with and 80ping on german servers but this jumping thing cracks my head...

At BF2142 i have 32ping, no lagspikes....

I'm thankful for any help, if you want more data i'll post it...

greetz derZ

lol thats normal, since this is UT and an old game

well i hope i made myself clear, its NOT the ping (F6) that bothers me... uhhh all under 100 is great! But its the F1-ping - witch is somthing like: f1 ping = dos ping + (1000/fps + 0,5*1000/tickrate)*0,5

As the tickrate (serverside) is stable only the dos ping and the FPS can make a difference...

uhhh but if F6-ping is stable.... why is F1 not???

i tested UT on my laptop (AtiX1800,WLAN and LaggyDisplay(17ms))

Laptop:
b33r server
FPS= 325AVG
F6 ping= 60
DOS ping= 36AVG
F1ping= 40-41 (no load) 27-120 (massive suicide)

DoGstd
FPS= 239AVG
F6 ping= 81
DOS ping= 44AVG
F1ping= 53 (no load) 28-120 (massive suicide)

(channels were 125)

PC:
b33r server
FPS= 62AVG
F6 ping= 59
DOS ping= 30AVG
F1ping= 0-51 (no load) 0-195 (massive suicide)

DoGstd
FPS= 62AVG
F6 ping= 76
DOS ping= 41AVG
F1ping= 0-51 (no load) 0-190 (massive suicide)

(channels were 170)

Do more ppl have similar F1 spikes???

Btw the ping (F1) jumps when i do massive suicide... well that understandable... but:
In MultiplayerGaming it also jumps around at PC, NOT at the Laptop....
On PC it jumps much stronger... especially it drops to ZERO, WTF??!!?

:hangover:

So yako dont tell me this is normal... i'm not the guy who says "LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG", i would rather play on NorthAmerican Servers than on any "spiky" one.... USCpug server is much more stable than german NGZ servers???

I think most ppl here like to play on a homeland server - for me it makes no difference... every server is jumpy like hell...

So plz some help n ideas plz!

Also for all that ask: i run F-Prot and Comodo-Firewall on both computers...

Both are XP SP3, the laptop is a 32bit version the PC a 64bit version...

And well my gameplay is not good... but i'm not as much retarded as i play cause of Lagspikes... :rolleyes:

greetz dErZ

yours FPS since to hight and can do lagspeed (player go to fast and to low and fast and low or simply acoupa)

for that you must set your rederer limits fraps with add a line
FrameRateLimit=180

Sry Darkmenor i can only "guess" what you mean...

At my laptop theres no Frameratelimit... so it runs up to 300FPS... thats not important...

the PC i have has the lagspikes and theres a frameratelimit of 60....

PC Opengl settings:
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
RefreshRate=60
DetailTextures=false
UseTrilinear=false
UseS3TC=False
UseTNT=False
LODBias=0.0000000
UseFullscreen=True
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=False
Translucency=0
VolumetricLighting=False
ShinySurfaces=False
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=false
MaxAnisotropy=0
AlwaysMipmap=False
UsePrecache=False
SupportsLazyTextures=1
MaxTMUnits=10
ShareLists=False
DescFlags=0
Description=XFX nVidia 8800GTX 712MB
GammaOffset=0.10000
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
DisableSpecialDT=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseVertexSpecular=False
DisableVSync=False
UseSSE=true
MaskedTextureHack=True
FrameRateLimit=60

as the TFT can't do more than 60FPS i cut FPS at 60...

I have also another version UT with uncutted FPS... i get something like 240FPS and lagspikes...

I think it is normal for ping to jump about a bit. I sometimes find high ping after a fight with lots of rockets/flak shrapnel etc. and sometimes after a game my ping is 0.

If you are behind a router and it is set to drop incoming connections, you could try turning off firewall (+ windows firewall maybe). This should still give you some protection against nasties (but I am not liable if you catch one :) ). This may help reduce lag slightly since there isn't any software packet blocking.

I guess you have tried checking that windows update and any software updating stuff is turned off too? Try running only UT and maybe TS and kill everything else you can find.

Try to see if there is any difference between using the FrameRateLimit and VSync in the driver. With VSync on it ought to do the same job as the FRLimit, but you might want to turn it off in UT and on in Windows to see if there's a difference. If its on in windows then you don't need turn it on in UT OpenGL, which would mean 2 software doing the same thing which is a waste of resources.

That's all I can think of right now.

Last edited:
Hey thank you Dave...

First of all, i manged to install a version of UT with OpenGL3.5 and it has F1 ping around 39-60 :redeye:
but now i can't dodge really good.. all movements seems to be slowed down.... it feels wierd in a diffrent way, but sniper works again and there are no jumps in the game... but what the hell why am i so slow (its like slowmotion)...

allright so maybe i'll try Vsync and TripleBuffering now... in UT / Windows...

I sometimes find high ping after a fight with lots of rockets/flak shrapnel etc. and sometimes after a game my ping is 0.
Btw the jumps happend during a map! Not during load or a mapchange... its like you walk around theres no spam or fire!!! and have Jumps in the timeline...

I'm on this subject like 1 year (more and less...) so first my idea was the LAN/internet... BUT:
-Provider changed nothing
-Not the same effect on other Computer... (but same Router)
-Router is HighEndClass
-Theres NO Traffic while jumps take place, its ONLY UT!
-Fresh Windows has same Problem...
Then i thiught AntiVirus / Firewall cause the Problem:
- i tried nearly all avaible Firewalls for XP64 (not alot :( )
- i changed between 3-4 AntiVirus Programms
(i defnetly found some LAG and BUG causing AV / PFW like Norton, Kaspersky)
- i runned UT without any PFW and AV as i'm safe behind the Router...

So i thought about putting a video in here.. to show the problem... but my Fraps aint work.. it's allways crashing... Dunno why, maybe i need a new version...

Allright i'll put my new OpenGL stuff here, maybe someone can give me a hint:
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=False
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
ZRangeHack=True
AAFilterHint=2
NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=4
UseAA=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
MaskedTextureHack=False
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=180
SwapInterval=-1
UseFragmentProgram=False
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=False
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=0
RefreshRate=60
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
NoMaskedS3TC=False
MaxAnisotropy=4
UseTNT=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseAlphaPalette=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=True
AlwaysMipmap=False
ShareLists=False
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.500000
LODBias=0.000000
DescFlags=0
Description=My Fucking GFX

sorry that i write german now but:

was er meint ist, dass es bei einigen systemen einfach sein kann, dass durch frames / netspeed einstellungen gewisse lags auftreten können. natürlich magst du bei dem einen pc 60 frames haben, aber auch da kann es einfach sein, dass es gerade deshalb bei diesem system lagt weil die frames zu niedrig sind. hatte ich leider schon.
versuch mal das limit auf 85 hoch zu setzen. natürlich dürftee dass deinen ping nicht unbedingt beeinflussen, aber vielleicht spielt es sich dann besser. zudem könntest du etwas mit dem netspeed rumspielen.

da ich zu faul war zu lesen. hast du dein framelimit von 60 per vsync geregelt oder tatsächlich mit einem festgesetzen wert in der ini? sollte ersteres der fall sein, so würde ich die vsync deaktivieren und nochmal in der ini ein limit setzen, da die vorgehensweise dieser "begrenzung" eine andere ist.

what banshee said!
put ur FrameRate higher then monitor. This way UT'll try to work up to 75hertz but ur monitor stops at 60, which means that ut needs less power limiting the framerate. Sounds kinda weird, dunno if it's true, but it worked for me before ;)

and search threads with Vista + slow/fast ut and you'll find enough for ur latest probs ;)

i limit my Framerates with:
RefreshRate=60

not via vsync....

well timedemostatistic says: 120FPS while Fraps shows 60FPS

i think that way its okay...

Its not a Vista System, its XP64

tonight it worked >>>much<<< better at leaguematch... maybe little spikes and little drops but all round about 30-120... thats okay...

if i run a higher refreshrate then the Monitor supports and i not use Vsync then i have tearing :(

k i try to capture some pictures now....

can anyone tell me how to shut down the fog???

greetings..

derZ

:thumb: yes was volumetric lighting.... also got reid of conoras.. or however they are called...

Now i realized that the demomangeer i installed was not working like it should... so i have no good examples of "laaag" also FRAPS 1,9c 2,9 both not really work am my system dunno why...

well 1,9C works but has only 30FPS and UT is bigger than max resolution...

Is there an alternative? BEst would be freeware...

OMG, i neve knew that virtualDUB can be used for capturing vids xD thanks for the links Dave...

well Taksi isn' t running well... so with a little time i maybe can do it with vDUB

:)

thx seas but i not want to make a video and if i go over JPG/BMP to make a short "sport" the lagjumps can't be seen... it must be something that is working at one locked framerate...

BTW fraps aint work, HyperCam2 aint work, Taski ain't work and VduB can't capture sound right... i really miss FRAPS and wonder why its not working...
:(

Try Power Video Capture, Paul - link PMed to you >> Takes a bit of config but it was class :thumb:

EDIT: Not PMed to you as you can't receive PMs :rolleyes: Check b33r forums.