Possible solution to the Mercing problem but would you use it?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Sorry Darkheart, its a great idea but without forcing ppl to run it, aint really worth it. For example, I have been known to crash in a match, when I reboot I dial on and fire up UT, even RW doesn't get started again until the next map changes. So you wouldn't catch me firing up this program again. There are a zillion other VALID excuses/reasons too, "The program crashed on me", "It was slowing my connection", etc etc. While none of these may be true, you can't prove they weren't the reason some1 wasn't running it when it turns out they weren't after a match. All its gonna do is breed more "Rumours", "Theorys" and outright bollox about those who don't run the program during a match for valid reasons or not :\

Don't get me wrong its a great idea, and I'm pleased to see some1 is prepared to put the effort in but as I've said a zillion times any thing "voluntary" may as well not be done at all IMHO.

Better something along the lines that LeagueAssault was going to use with logging of names, id/password and IP. Ok it wouldn't be 100% effective, but everyone is forced to run it (as its part of LeagueAssault) and no one can be sure if they are gonna get caught out or not. The UT side of the code is already almost done in LeagueAS, what it needs is a logging server really. If you wanted to a machine specific "ID" to the system write an external program which talks to UT on a loopback UDP port (btw UDP is a zillion times easier to handle in UT than TCP, thats why I said UDP).

Either way it needs to be done from within UT (or it needs to have a program for each platform) and it needs to be compulsory. Better to be less than 100% effective than voluntary to use IMHO.

Thanx

Oh and btw, without any UT interaction, whats to stop me firing up the program @ 20:00 for a match and then someone else joining the server under my name and playing. The program says im online, validates my PC etc as being me, but it aint me playing.

Also what about source IP, if you rely on the return IP to identify the IP its coming from then its easily spoofed with NAT / packet forwarder. If you tie up the IP in the encrypted data transmission you will get the LAN IP of anyone running behind NAT and thats useless.

the clan pw

you wrote so much about code above so I didn't bother reading it as I know too little about it, so perhaps this has been mentioned:
clanbase give each member a password to log in there. I think individual players would be at least sceptical to give away their own personal password. how about making it possible to join a match with your own individual password only? if nothing else perhaps players would fear to give away their own password as it could be used as "proof" against another playing using it and cheating in some other way at the same time. friends would ofcourse not mind giving their own password away to eachother, and most use of mercenaries are done between online friends - but then I had a little idea about it: some clans like BoD and CnE refused to use mercenaries, while some think it is ok to fill up a team with non-members to make it a fun match. if we through a vote could agree that the latter perhaps is a good thing, then a player from a clan could be ALLOWED to play for another clan in the SAME or LOWER division. this would perhaps make less clans make use of mercenaries from higher divisions, and make them feel less ashamed about using mercenaries :D or an even more weird idea that could be fun as hell - make a system for RENTING players for POINTS :D

I must admit I had no problems playing for a clan I wasn't a member of before - because of the simple fact that I liked to play with friends from other clans in that way, I wouldn't have done it for players I didn't know, now I have too little time to play with my own clan, and I know we wouldn't use mercenaries (because of the simple fact you all suck :D ) so <<--][-->> would sign up to what's written about above :D

ATM the way I was planning to do it was to have the authorising server pick up the client's IP (easier for me and no problems with NAT) this is then cross referenced with the players IP from the UT server. If the 2 are the same it is reasnoble to assume that both players are coming from the same place.

However I do it there are going to be holes which the technically aware or "hackers" could assault it from but that's just the way it is no system we created would be 100% accurate or 100% secure.

I completely take the point on why a voluntry system would be much less effective. I worry maybe this would exclude players and places the onus on me to:

Write 100% bug free code that never crashes no matter what your system config.
Come up with support for platforms I don't know how to code for (Mac, Linux, PS2?).

------------------------------*-------------*--------------*----------------------

Well I'm going to put a beta together over this week and next we can try it and see what happens maybe Relax can do a Java version for Mac & Linux.

If it is decided to use it in the league then that will be down to the League Administrators so don't burn down my barn everyone ok?

Darkheart

Re:

WTF are you guys on about???

Have you forgotten that this is a game???

The way I see this, its as if you guys are looking for a method of certifying clans so they can show others that they can do it themselves...

This is really absurd.

I've witnessed some weird things in my time, but this is one of the weirdest ones.

No offense to the creativity of Dark and he'll prolly get it to work aswell, but come on peeps, it's still a game, it's a nice community as it is, let's not turn it into communist community or something along those lines.

If clans wanna use mercs for winning, so be it. It only states that their integrity sux beyond belief, that tells you what kind of people you are dealing with.

The better idea was the one to find a way to get rid of the Nasty's of this world. Let's work at that, it makes more sense!!

L8r dudes...

@all who are dissaproving this...

why do u care? its an OPTION :p
and i would like to see it coz it's ruining the games of a lot of lower div clans