Politics and music

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Gen76

Jun 9, 2001
WAs talking with some m8s and we came to a dead end about this.

I claim that if ur partialy sane likeing music like no remores(nazi punk) is fucked up because u support their iddeas, my m8s didnt agree.

What do u think?

I would think it would depend upon if you could hear/understand the lyrics...
most songs I have no idea whats being song about, anyway if he likes to listen to it, but is truely not a natzi or whatever what is the harm in it ?

if a bands message is racists and there whole meaning is to promote rasicsm and facism then i dont think you can listen to them on any level without wanting to hear the message ...
Punk and Nazism is so mixed up .. Punk has nothing to do with facism and racism .. unfortunatly some missguided use of nazi slogans and swastikas as a way or sticking 2 fingers up at the establishment backfired ... and that only can from the influance The Stooges had ... fs The Stooges guitarist was a nutcase .. and he wore a swastika to keep him safe ..because he thought he could hear heil Hitler when his mother used her hairdrier.. ffs

anyway imo i dont think you can enjoy the music of bands like that without feeling some of the sentiment held in the lyrics.

Rich said:
anyway imo i dont think you can enjoy the music of bands like that without feeling some of the sentiment held in the lyrics.

I feel the same way, but OTOH I find I have to try and ignore most of what lyricists write anyway, if they're preaching because usually it's bollocks.

I'da rather have the nonsensical/comedy utterings of Crash Test Dummies or the indecipherable ramblings of early REM.

You can like the music without agreeing with the lyrics. Most of the time I listen to music without really paying attention to what the words are saying - I just like the evocative...er...ness. But if they listen to the music because they agree with the message of Naziism then that's different. It's like a parent banning their teenager from listening to Eminem in case they go out and put nails through their eyelids :\

{24}Useless said:
You can like the music without agreeing with the lyrics. Most of the time I listen to music without really paying attention to what the words are saying -

but what if you became suddenly aware that the songs you were listening to were advocating racism (for instance)?

i absolutely agree, music with that kinda message is absolutely tied to politics.
Why else would the singer put those lyrics in the songs.
Because he has a message and wants to share it with the world. This is not only dangerous because people with the same message will like these bands but also because young people are influences by something very easy and start copying the message.

Music always has been and hopefully always will be both communication and entertainment, and as such if the message being communicated is directly opposing that of common sense, your beliefs or in another conflicts with your way of thinking, why the fuck would you listen to it?

I know I never...

wr00f

ProPain said:
i absolutely agree, music with that kinda message is absolutely tied to politics.
Why else would the singer put those lyrics in the songs.
Because he has a message and wants to share it with the world. This is not only dangerous because people with the same message will like these bands but also because young people are influences by something very easy and start copying the message.

Sometimes ppl will use certain lyrics just for the attention it will bring. Not neccesarily political.
Throw a few expletives in and bingo... a batch of young impressionable diciples, ...untill the next hook.