Playing import games on a PS2...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Menace

I eat babies!
Nov 10, 2001
Grunn, Netherlands
Is this possible without modding?
I simply put in my freeloader disc when I want to play my Gamecube imports, but such a system doesn't seem to exist for the PS2?

There's a Japanese-only game that I really want to play, but I obviously can't with my EU PS2.
I don't feel like modding it/getting it mod because I'm not too comfortable with fucking about with such things.
If there's any solution to the problem, please let me know :P

Best way really is a chip although it really is a pain in the arse to mod your own PS2, lots of fine soldering, best off finding a shop locally that will do it for you.

There are no solder versions of chips but Ive had problems with the last one I installed so im not overly happy with them.

You can buy a disk to make import games work, swap magic or something its called, but in the long run that will mess your PS2 up unless you mod it to have a fliptop

MeetYourMaker said:
You can buy a disk to make import games work, swap magic or something its called, but in the long run that will mess your PS2 up unless you mod it to have a fliptop
How will it mess up the PS2? :|

As far as I can see (not used one myself) you need to eject the disk to put the game disk in, this is fine on a flip top as u can press the eject button and the lid opens and it doesnt realise the disk has changed. On a PS2 the DVD is a tray so you need to manually override the eject button (pressing eject button stops the PS2 and the disk) thats the bit I dont think is a good idea, thats just imo tho :)

Yeah, you need to use what they call a slide-tool to eject the disk. You basically remove the tray front (the part with the PS2 logo on it) and then slide the tool under the cd tray and slide it right, the slide-tool hooks on the underside of the cd tray and you pull it open, and do the reverse when you close it.

If not done carefully, you can fuck your ps2, but I figured my warranty is well out of date, I play my ps2 about twice a week if I'm lucky and I'm really carefull each time I want to play.

Risk vs reward.

can i play english games with a german ps2? there's a game, god of war, that i really want to play. but they won't sell it in germany, because it's too graphic :tired: