PC Fucked

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Mr_Bungle

Gimpy White-Death Blackouts?I'm ye man.
Jun 8, 2001
Nottingham,UK
Meh PC, for the last couple of weeks has been hanging on boot up right at the start.The internal speaker starts beeping and the screen doesn't even make it to the bios screen.The infernal beeping just goes on and on and while i could boot up by resetting 10 times yesterday,it won't boot up at all now.

I reformatted yesterday and put a fresh install of xp on,didn't help.
I started the pc with just the ram,HD,moniter,again no help.

Any ideas? cause i can't be arsed sending this back,to much like hard work.

I just know y'all gonna say my hard drive is fucked,but the horror of that situation i don't even wanna comprehend.

(also i cleared the cmos with the jumper,no good.Haven't tried the battery on the mobo yet as this scares me).

Thanks for any ideas.

its beepin, you say? there are "beep codes" , ie how often/ how long it beeps can tell you about the problem...
or does it just beep indefinitely?

have you tried other ramsticks ?

Beeping at that stage of a boot sounds to me like a hardware problem. If there was anything wrong with your HD you would never have been able to install a fresh copy of XP on it.... Once a hd is going its fooked for good in my experience. Try undusting your case (is always a good idea ;) )and check all connectors. Also a possiblity is to check the CMOS battery. Those go after a year or two sometimes. Anything particular hot inside, or is you computer cold when you boot? Is it possible to swap the HD to an other computer if needed?

Well I probably told you to check things you already checked (10 times) :D

I missed the battery fear in your post the first time I read it. Certainly a thing to check m8, nothing to be afraid of.....

Twas the ram,gave the stick a clean and bobs your uncle.The lesson here is to keep the inside of your pc clean,not like the floor of a cake factory ;)

Thanks guys

Its fucked again,same beepy cunting bastard error.

Sending the ram back to novatech for a exchange,bit worried about the cmos checksum errors now :scared:

Sending back the mobo would be tedious.

Well I have some problems now with my older computer. Keeps crashing after 5-10 min or after a few hours. Bit random :/

Took thing appart, cleaned all (lots of dust everywhere) inserted all cards, memory back after cleaning. See how it holds now

Also moved cards to different slots, dunno if that will cure it. We'll see. Working fine now, sofar. *looking for wood to touch*

:D

Might be worthwhile stripping your mobo out of the case altogether, just in case (no pun intended) your getting a short somewhere, try a bare bones bench test.
remove all cards and your hdd.
Unplug all cables.
Beg borrow or steal a m8's RAMstick, one you know works.
plug in your power cable to mobo.
plug in your floppy drive.
boot with bootable floppy.
If no beeps then add hdd and remove bootable floppy.
boot again.
if it beeps here then toss the hdd.
if not then add gfx card.
keep adding hardware, if no beeps then it prolly been a short circuit to the case, or from a stray power lead.
be carefull when putting the mobo back into the case that all the retaining screws are in the right holes and not impinging on anything.
It sucks to have to do all this but thats life with pc's:\

good luck.

Taking it apart and cleaning all up putting it back together seems to have done the trick for me. PC still running since my last post.

pffff :)