out of discspace

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Moon

Boom HEADSHOT!
May 30, 2002
I'm trying to install F.E.A.R Perseus Mandate but when I try to install the game it says I'm out of discspace.
My windows harddrive I've got 4,11GB left the installaton cd is on 3,88GB The drive I'm installing it too has 70,7GB free discspace.
Is it so I need much more free discspace on windows drive? Is it because of that why it won't let me install the game?
Because if that is I wont be able to install Crysis or UnrealTournament 3 :(
And formatting windows and expand the partion till at least 25GB (it's currently 15GB) will be a pain in the ass.
Any other solutions you people can come up with it that has nothing to do with formatting :|

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 68
try

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
3. In the details pane, right-click the ProgramFilesDir registry value, and then click Modify.
4. Change the value to the drive where you wanna install the game. Save the original value first.
5. Without closing Regedit, install Fear.
6. Once the install is done change the value for ProgramFilesDir back to the old setting and close Regedit.

It might be because it's using the C drive to unpack/uncompress the installation files before they are copied/installed to the F: drive.

Resizing your C partition is probably the best option unless you can find our the real reason why you cna't install to the F drive.

You don't have to format anything. You'll need to shrink your 70GB partition by say, 10GB and then resize the C partition to increase by 10GB.

You can use Knoppix Linux live CD to do this:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-do-i-resize-windows-partition-with-open-source-software.html

Steps are essentially
  1. Download the LiveCD
  2. Burn the image to a CD
  3. Reboot your computer and set the BIOS to boot from the CD
  4. The LiveCD will start, which doesn't install anything to your computer - everything just runs from RAM from the LiveCD
  5. Use gparted to resize your NTFS partitions
  6. Reboot and try and install the game
Note: I don't accept any responsibility for the loss of any of your data if you screw up your disks :]

I used partion magic and it rezised my windows disc to 22,8GB and I hope I can install the game now :D

Martz is spot on there with the diagnosis; most of the newer games will attempt to unpack all of the data to your %temp% folder before copying to it's final install location.

In future, if you are installing to another partition, and don't want to free up more space on your c:\ drive, simply re-direct the %temp% environment variable to a drive with more space.

Right-click on My Computer, then go to Properties. Hit the Advanced tab, then click on the Environment Variables button. In the top half (User Variables), find the %TEMP% variable and Edit it, pointing to a location with more space.

Don't forget to revert it back once you're finished, or you'll end up with all sorts of crap in there!