OpenGL once and for all.

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Paa`

Don't Fear The Reaper!
Apr 2, 2002
UK
Right i decided to make a thread about a few opengl settings for anyone wanting to try them out

There are several different opengl renderer's for UT the two that ive used in the past are the official latest epic release which can be found http://unreal.epicgames.com/files/UT436-OpenGLDrv-090602.zip This is the one from epic that comes with UT version 436 i believe it works ok not the best but looks nice.

some settings in your UT.ini

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
FastTranslucency=True
VolumetricLighting=False
VertexLighting=True
UseVertexSpecular=True
ShinySurfaces=False
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True <-- set to false if ur fps are consistently low
DetailTextures=False
UseTrilinear=False
UseS3TC=False
UseTNT=False
MinDepthBits=32
LODBias=0.200000
MaxAnisotropy=0
SupportsLazyTextures=1
GammaOffset=0.000000
MaxLogTextureSize=10
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=10
MaxLogUOverV=10
MaxTMUnits=0
UseZTrick=1
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
UsePrecache=False
ShareLists=True
AlwaysMipmap=True
DisableSpecialDT=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
DescFlags=0
RefreshRate=75 <-- of course change to your own monitor's refresh rate.
Description=

The above settings work well on my pc giving good performance for better quality with signaficiantly reduced frame rate use these lines

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
FastTranslucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
VertexLighting=True
UseVertexSpecular=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True <-- u might wanna set this to false if the bright lights in ut annoy you some think they look nice.
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
UseTrilinear=True
UseS3TC=False
UseTNT=False
MinDepthBits=32
LODBias=0.200000
MaxAnisotropy=2 <-- even on lower end gfx card level 2 anisotrophy is'nt much of a problem with improved visual quality check ur gfx card options to see how high u can set your's bearing in mind the higher it is the less performance u will have.
SupportsLazyTextures=1
GammaOffset=0.000000
MaxLogTextureSize=10
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=10
MaxLogUOverV=10
MaxTMUnits=0
UseZTrick=1
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
UsePrecache=False <-- set to true if you have more than 64 mb of gfx card ram.
ShareLists=True
AlwaysMipmap=True
DisableSpecialDT=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
DescFlags=0
RefreshRate=75
Description=

No matter what ur d3d card is u should really run in 32 bit if ur card supports it, as 16 bit opengl has artifact error's due to a 16 bit z buffer making ut very ugly , u can partially solve this by using a gfx tweaker and setting a 24 bit z buffer but it does'nt completely get rid of the problems.

The second opengl renderer which i use myself which gives much better performance and options can be found here

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/utglr19.zip

Direct download to the latest version of his renderer

Additional options in your ut.ini that come with THIS renderer only are

UseBGRATextures=1
UseTexIdPool=1
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=1
UseSSE=1

These 5 options are safe to add to your ut.ini opengl settings section with this renderer and will improve fps without any visual loss.

The following are for people with more powerful machines ALL of these options will reduce performance and improve picture quality.

UseAA=1 set to 0 to disable antialiasing alltogether
NumAASamples= the number of aa samples u would like to use common numbers are 2,4,6,8 each depending on video card support.
AAFilterHint= this option enables Quincunx AA on nvidia gfx cards for improved aa quality at a significant performance drop set to 2 to enable this option
TexDXT1ToDXT3 set to 1 to convert all dxt1 compressed textures to dxt3 which results in much better quality textures but this is a weak spot of pre gf4 cards and even on a gf4 or higher card will take a large hit on performance.

The above 4 options dont need to be added if you are'nt using them.

SwapInterval controls vertical sync in UT which limits your fps to your monitor's refresh rate id recommend having this permantly off as it can cause mouse problems with alot of people and most find ut feels sluggish with it on.

Best way to do this is to set it to "Default off" in your gfx card options and setting a pre render limit of 2.

some people have even after going through this still had problems with there mouse i found a fix for myself which wont harm anything but it may fix mouse lag in opengl.

you will need a gfx card tweaker like rivatuner to set this tho -

Under the blitting option tick "Limit the maximum number of queued blits to the frame buffer". Ticking this option on my pc stopped any mosue lag i had maybe it will help you aswell im not sure,wont harm anything ticking it tho.

Ill add some more stuff later but im knackered now thought maybe this could help some people out wanting to use opengl as it gives improved performance and ut feels nearly as smooth as glide.

Feel free to post any problems or questions u have about opengl in this thread and any sshots showing problems on if u want aswell.

Last edited:
have u tried the two opengl renderers i posted and the settings ?

try using the second one with the 4 extra lines and the quality settings from the top in 1024*768

see how it looks then

i got 1 question. perhaps u know it perhaps not i dunno

there's a opengl.ini in my ut dir lol perhaps it's been there for ages or not i dunno but what could i change to these that would give me any performace boost?

[NVIDIA Corporation/RIVA TNT (AGP)]
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogTextureSize=10
MaxLogUOverV=10
MaxLogVOverU=10
UseZTrick=1
UseMultiTexture=1
UsePalette=0
DoPrecache=1
ShareLists=1
AlwaysMipmap=1

:clueless:

Nothing relax they are just pre set lines for several gfx card no need to touch it or change anything in there.

With opengl for me , like the crosses on GolgothaAL and Bridge the sniper tower , I can see through them so I can see the sniper and stuff in Sniper Tower and if there is a launcherer behind the cross , thats why I prefer D3D , I get big dodgey spikes with the textures , + the textures for Golgotha blood is all shitty too , and especially when I go under water ( Frigate , OceanFloor) it jst looks weird

Try the quality settings and the second renderer with the 4 added options in 1024*768 32 bit with gfx card set to always use 32 bit

those who aint got nice graphics crad use that option :eek:

Even I used d3d on gf2gtspro lul

Now its still the same with gfti4200 :o
But it roxx0r with d3d :D

actually farac opengl is far better than d3d in EVERYTHING performance and looks.

Well it looks crap on mine anywayz :P

oh well might give it a go anyway too see what all the shit is about :moon:

well those settings were shit. UT couldnt even loadup when using opengl ffs pfffffffff

im using a gf2mx aswell aj and i got 70 + EXTRA fps using opengl over d3d and it looked alot better

It's something like this

Performance Glide > OpenGL > d3d > software

Quality Glide > OpenGL > d3d > software

I think anyway

k paa wont touch those lines :D

glide ownz opengl+d3d in ut.. my old pc was better even tho i got a better cpu now and a gf4 ti4200

Well if u aint got a glide card like voodoo3 or so u should really use opengl it has a few problems but once u got them sorted ( like me ) with mouse problems its as close to glide as ur gunna get and far better than d3d even with lowish fps like 40 it still feels pretty smooth where as 60 fps in d3d feels shit also looks a shit load better in opengl