Olympics!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

The US women football team is actually very good. they are ranked number 1 in the Fifa world ranking (although that is also caused due the usual bad north & middle american football nations they have to play against)

I actually had no idea :lol: I think women's soccer was actually pretty popular back in the late 1990's with players like Mia Hamm, but it's sort of lost it again. Hopefully this will bring some renewed popularity to the sport :D

Also, lol @ the men's soccer losing to Nigeria, a country which doesn't even have grass for soccer fields probably. Also someone got a red card in the 4th minute :clap:

Ye right.

not that jamacain runners couldnt be found in their training camp by international doping test teams.
not that almost every 100m olympic winner (except for one) in the past decades were proven or atleast highly suspected to be doped.

Well, they should just allow doping, then everyone would have the same chances :P

edit: oh look, all three jamacain women lead in the 100m competition. Coincidence! :rolleyes:

Usain Bolt was insane, was by far the most gob-smacking thing I've seen soo far. Even more so than Phelps winning 8 golds in 100m,200m,300m,400m,500m,600m,700m,800m butterfly zzz :p:

That's bullshit. you shouldn't be able to celebrate 15m from the finish line, and that's horrible sportsmanship to do so. He should lose his medal for being a cock.

I still find incredible that there are ppl who still think only few of pro athletes or sportman use drugs to improve.
U guys who think like that u live in ignorance.

didnt read everything what smant and torp wrote.. but tbh swimming and athletics are the only 2 sports in the whole world where you use all your muscles in the whole body!

decathlon > swimming .. end of discussion :P

decathlon = 100m longjump shotput highjump 400m - 110m hurdles discus polevault javelin 1500m

I sort of see what you mean regarding possibly injury and stress upon the frame of the body and muscular damage. was referring more to Fatigue and Exhaustion related problems which swimming has higher value imo. Thanks Pete for differentiating :)

That's my point Rene :P - Decathlon you have people doing a vast range of events, to which NONE of them are any good at a particular one. Maybe they have their favourite but rarely do you see them being able to challenge in the individual competition. Carolina Kluft maybe exception in the Heptathlon. If swimming these events and winning them all, and Len don't be an arse, it was a massive range of races in different strokes and distances, then we should surely have seen more than 2 athletes getting this kind of success in the entire history of swimming? Is everyone else just so shit and Phelps/Spitz were just OK enough to do it?

Smant the 40 miles were warm up and swim down, not swam at any intensity.

Sneez, I would say the marathon is harder than any swimming event indeed. However, I have yet to witness a 10k race in open water. This starts at this Olympics on Thursday I believe and will take around 2 hours so a similar time period.

Unfortunately in the sporting world there is rather a large rift between Athletics and Swimming due to them being the main Olympics events, historically and popularity wise. Rivalry is quite fierce and I don't think either fan will admit 1 is close to being as good as the other, although I wont deny that I do enjoy an hour or 2 of quality track and field.

Bart, thats a massive theory that IOC have actually considered, but then it becomes a competition on who can create/get hold of the best stuff. It is also ethically challenging to allow athletes legally to destroy their bodies.

rlp29rddywyigtlt25.gif