OEM/Retail Vista Difference?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I saw this:

What's missing from the OEM version?
When you buy OEM, you need to understand what you're getting.

OEM editions of Windows don't come in pretty boxes, nor do they include manuals. Of course, a real "manual" has never shipped with Windows, and chances are, if you're interested in OEM software, you don't need what passes for a manual these days, anyway. And the pretty box... well, that's not really worth much anyway, is it? Rest assured, though: the software on the disc is the same as that found in any retail edition.

There are some gotchas, though. OEM software cannot be returned once opened. There are no exceptions. You open it, you've bought it.

OEM software is also tied to the motherboard it is first installed on. Unlike the retail versions of Windows which can be transferred to a new computer, OEM versions are not transferable. What about upgrading hardware? Microsoft says that anything is fair game, except the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard in a computer results in a "new personal computer," which the company considers to be synonymous with a transfer. It's not permitted with an OEM edition of Windows.

Nevertheless, I've known users who got around this limitation by calling Microsoft and reporting that their motherboards died when they wanted to build a new computer. It is Microsoft's policy to allow motherboard swaps in instances where a system is defective or has suffered a hardware failure. But you shouldn't bank on this approach; there's no guarantee it will work and, well, liars don't get ice cream. Also, while retail versions of Vista include both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, OEM versions are specific. You get one or the other. This follows from the per device restriction. The end result is that OEM versions may not be that attractive to users who frequently build new computers from the ground up.

Then there's support. Technically, OEM versions of Windows get first-tier support from the system builders who put the OEM software on your machine. In the case of Mom & Pop Computers, that means M&P is your first support hit. In the case of you buying OEM software for yourself, technically this means that you're your own support. What does this really mean? Retail Vista comes with 90 days of free support. OEM edition users don't get that, but paid support is still an option, should you need it.

I did however hear you can only install OEM version of VISTA once, IE the cdkey becomes invalid and if I wanted to format I would have to have an image.

Can anyone confirm this? From what I pased above it seems the only real 'limitation' is your bound to the motherboard you install the system on, but not the number of times you can format.

[USELESS PART OF THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED]

Found on another forum:

'" OEM version of Vista has exactly the same functionality* as the retail version, it is only the licence which differs. You will have everything from WMP to IE7 and from Aero to Flip3D(Not included in Home Basic Edition).
*OEM version has no additional support, you must contact your system builder for support.

Be wary, however, the OEM licence is tied to the computer. If you upgrade the computer you will be required to purchase a new version of Vista. Microsoft will allow small upgrades but refuse to tell us what consists of a small upgrade. (My guess is additional non-essential hardware like a sound card or a tv card would be considered a minor upgrade. Also additional RAM would be considered a minor upgrade.)

The OEM software can NEVER be installed on another computer.

It is tricky to define exactly what a different computer is. I understand Microsoft still defines a new computer as any of the following five hardware changes;
1) A new mainboard.
2) A new processor.
3) A new graphics card,
4) A new RAM
5) A new hard drive.
When you buy an OEM version of Vista, all retailers will require it to be sold with a new computer system. Any one of the above five parts is considered a new computer system so you can purchase OEM Vista with any or all of these parts.

If a piece of hardware is to fail, then this can be replaced under warranty and you can still retain the same licence. (Here is a loophole which you can rort). So if you upgrade your mainboard, I suggest you phone Microsoft and tell a little white lie. If you say the mainboard was replaced under warranty then you should be able to keep the same licence. Unfortunately, Microsoft is wise to this type of thing and will recognise if you do this regularly. If you change your RAM or hard drive I dont think Microsoft will know so no need to worry here. If you change your graphic card then you will again be required to purchase another copy of Vista (unless it is changed under warranty).

I will definately purchase the OEM version Vista myself. Firstly, it is less than half the price of the retail version and has exactly the same features. Even if I make a significant change to my PC in the future I can claim it as a warranty replacement. If Microsoft refuse to reactivate Vista for me and I have to purchase another copy, I will still have money left over from the amount I saved on buying OEM instead of the retail version.

So please predict how often you will upgrade your computer in the next 5-8years and choose which version of Vista would best suit yourself. Remember, most pre-built computers have OEM Windows installed on them. So if you are a normal computer user then OEM would be the best way to go. If on the other hand you buy a new graphic card every year, then you may consider the full retail version to save yourself hassles in the future. The choice is yours, go forth. "

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try it at your own risk Mc..

Get the OEM, install it. Do a ghost image anyway; but if you need to format/reinstall or move to different hardware, just install without the serial, then once installed, add the serial and activate. It will probably fail and ask you to ring Microsoft; after the automated prompts you will be handed to a person, at which point just say that your hardware died, and you had to change the motherboard and re-install windows - they will re-issue you with a different activation code for your serial.

I can't confirm that this will work with Vista, as I've only done it with Office 2007; but the principle is the same, and since you are the OEM system builder, I don't see why this shouldn't work.

You can install it somewhere else and ring up microsoft. Just say you changed hardware parts and suddenly Vista told me that it wasnt activated anymore :confused: :confused:. They will give you a new serial number. Worked for me :evil:

Idd, Microsoft readily give you another serial if you have a legitimate excuse, which makes me think ... why put that "security" feature in at all? :confused:

Deadboy I tried your open gl settings in your other thead, however I have terrible FPS loss.

If I use my own opengl settings its better, but i still think its odd to have such a FPS loss, ill speak with you later tonight.

Also I still have mouse lag in opengl, but its not nearly as bad as D3D. Grrrr anyone with G5 mouse (or logitech) and vista manage to fix thier mouse lag issues?

There are of course OEM copies of Vista available in "certain" places which do not require a key or activation. They do suffer from the same caveat tho, you have to re-install if you change motherboard.