new monitor

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

«)Fîrë$±ørm(»

defending Overlord beach
Aug 25, 2001
yeah need a new one some time soon

im wondering if those tft/lcd monitors are usable for UT or other ego-shooters now because my father got one that is not really usable - too slow i suppose :\
ok that one is 1,5 years old or so~~

the ones now are great.

you can get samsung and lg 19inch ones that have 8ms response and are cheap. Ive played UT, halflife2, etc etc on samsung 8ms 19inch ones and is perfect.

my bro joko has a 17inch acer one i think thats 8ms and was like 140 pounds. I was playing that at weekend with halflife2 and was spot on....amazing really.

lcd tft has overtaken crt monitors now id say but that is only really happened this year.

samsung and lg have both pledged several billion a year jst for their flatscreen factories over the next few years so flatscreens just gonna keep getting bigger and cheaper and better :)

Reactions: «)Fîrë$±ørm(»
had a 75 Hz Tft as temporary monitor before i bought this new flat crt (price was main concern for me)

the tft was impossible to play ut on because the image was so wiped and lagging behind..

really nice for windows/strat games etc though :)

if you have the money for a capable tft, go get it IMO

thx all for responses :)
i had forgotten about this thread and seen it when i wanted to post the exact same topic again :rofl:

i think im going for a 19" with a good response time :D

cheers :)

Isn't foxys "8ms response" screen the same as sobos "16ms" response screen, since its something like 8ms for the rise, and 8ms for the fall - which == 16ms?

Interesting article on it here anyway, that says the rise and fall response time doesn't matter too much, its grey to grey which matters the most to gamers.

The high response rates and ghosting patterns are possibly the greatest issue with TFT LCDs and gaming. The response time is commonly given in milliseconds on the specifications for the display, though gray-to-gray response times are much more important for determining if an LCD is suitable for gaming, rather than the provided rising and falling response times. Unfortunately, grey-to-grey response times are rarely given on sales specifications.

Reactions: Cassius
thx interesting article

the matter of responetime was my main issue when i looked for monitors
as a result i decided to buy a samsung 930bf with 4ms
this is is supposed to be suitable for gaming according to some articles

another issue is the "native resolution"
ut for instance (i dont play many other games) doesnt give me the option to change its resolution to 1280 x 1024 (highest is 1280 x 960 i believe which means 4:3)
19" monitors seem to use a 5:4 ratio as a native resolution which brings problems
fps is already a big issue for me in ut with 1024x768 when theres lots of spam in an AS match ( :lol: )

the viewanlge-issue is another problem
i like to invite friends to watch a movie and so this might become an issue :\

atm everything seems very problematic :\

UT will look awful on a TFT unless it's run in whatever "native resolution" is required; therefore if you do go for a 19", then you will need enough power in your box to support running UT at 1280x1024.

I have a 6800GT, 1GB RAM, Athlon64 3500+, with a Hyundai L90D and UT runs just fine at native resolution - just bear this in mind when looking at spending big cash on a decent 19" screen.

People who say you won't notice a difference on low response TFTs (from CRTs) when playing games are either lying or blind. For the first week of playing UT your eyes will feel funny trying to adjust to the delay (which you will notice), but after that you begin to get used to it, and after then you will join the others who blindly swear there is no difference :P

Reactions: «)Fîrë$±ørm(»
hm lol :P
interesting pov :D
i tried ut on the tvt of a friend (8ms) and imo there was a delay
but if u say that i ll adjust to it i dont mind ;D

one problem is that my pc is not that good anymore :P
xp1800 512meg and gf4 4200 64mb

i ll get that shit monitor and if i cant play ut anymore than so be it ;D

ta all

i play UT with 1152 x ???, no problem. there was a very, very slight delay at the start (might even have been me making it up because i have been told there is one), but it's so hardly noticable really doesn't matter.

the comfort and place the TFT gives me easily weight that out. watching movies on it rocks.

Last edited:
Fact is, CRT pictures are still miles better than TFT/LCD. I know that flat screens are sexy and take less space and use less power etc etc, but the picture on a good CRT pisses all over any flat screen. Same goes for TV's. Flat screens may catch up one day but that day isn't yet.

Mine is 12ms ACER AL1715

Im gonna jump on the band wagon!

I ran UT side by side with a CRT and flatscreen. No ghosting, no dead pixels. Perfect. CRT's are too big. pwned!

Im using 3x Acer AL1721, but I don't play many games. Great monitors.