New gpu, new problems

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Stylefish

-)EaS*
Jun 9, 2001
Germany
I finally got a new gpu today, I uninstalled the ati drivers, used driver cleaner, installed the new card (geforce 8800gt) but when I tried to start Crysis I got a blue screen and the pc rebooted and as soon as windows should start I got a new blue screen and again the system reboots.
If I uninstall the drivers and reinstall them I can watch videos again (which didnt work with my older card anymore), however as soon as I reboot I get the blue screen stuff again.

Unfortunately I cant read what it says as its there for about 0.1s only.

Any ideas?

tried different drivers? (if using the latest, try one version earlier)
tried other games?
sure you didnt forget to plug in any additional powercables to the card? (off the top of my head Im not sure if the 88gt needs any)

if windows works correctly in safe mode, its probably a simple driver issue.

What does the blue screen say.
All blue screens have a unique code, this code allows to locate the reason for a crash.
Alternative you can check the eventviewer (eventvwr) and see the cause that caused the problem ;)

edit:
Just remembered: a buddy of me had a similar problem, that was caused by a beta-driver (guess it was 169.03 or summin like that). After he installed version 169.21, the failure didn't appear again

Last edited:
As I said the blue screen is there for 0.1secs, cant read a word of it:(
Where can I find information about crashes in the event viewer, just seem to find useless stuff?

Tried the drivers from the cd, but didnt help, still same problem, also with all other games I tried.

first of all, deactivate automatic reboot. So you'll have all time to read the bluescreen.
Rightclick on My computer (Arbeitsplatz) -> Properties -> Advanced -> Statup & Recovery -> Settings.
edit: or use trashers shortcut ;)
Then deactivate the checkbox.
TurnOffAutoRestart.gif

Eventviewer:
Start -> Run -> eventvwr
Now you opened the MMC with two columns.
eventvwr_SLIC_5002_1.JPG

If a failure / crash happens, windows adds an entry into the system or application section. Search for errors there.
If you see a error, doppelclick on it, then you'll see detailed infos of that error (e.g. which exe caused it).

Ok when I try to install the drivers I get a blue screen with PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and if I install them in safe mode I get a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bluescreen after next reboot, installing works.
I tried to remove the first RAM chip and the 2nd ram chip but both didnt help (cant put them in different slots it seems as pc doesnt boot them anymore, maybe I just have to wait for severeal minutes tho)

Last edited:
Boot to one of the many memory testing utilities and test your memory for a couple of hours. Checking your memory dumb can give you some valuable information aswell. Also: can you post the full error report?

It most likely is a memory problem, tho. :|

@Bart: You can try the patches, but i doubt its going to fix the problem. g/l :)

i bought a 8800 GT last month, and i had also the reboot with blue screen that last half a sec only.

i figured that could be a memory prob so i tryed with 1 gig less and it worked, i then tryed again with puting back the 1 gig ram and it worked, i got no more blue screen ..

maybe while installing my card i had moved just a bit a ram and so it fooked stuff up ..
but after unplugging/replugging my rams, now it works great!

gl!

Gonna check the ram tomorrow, got no empty cds here and dont have a floppy drive. Ive put the ram chips in and out for about 1 million times today so I doubt this is the problem.

I didnt have the chance to check the psu as I dont have anyone living near who has a psu good enough and buy a new one just for testing...well, maybe if I win the lottery;)

Didnt write the error reports down, the number of the PFNLIST CORRUPT was 0x0000004E, rest was german rubbish

thx for help

Tbh, almost certainly a memory issue.

Check that your memory voltages are set correctly (probs best to leave em at By SPD). Also you really should check the memory using something like memtest86+ as pete suggested. If you can't burn anything to CD and don't have an A: drive then you should be able to make a bootable usb pen with it on - google is your friend there.. deffo not difficult tho ;)

Oh one other thing:

You should be able to boot using only 1 RAM stick (I'm assuming you've got 2 in dual channel mode), try it step by step in each individual slot (again, I'm assuming you've got 4 - 2 seperate channels), then try with the other stick, then together in the 2 different combinations between the 4 slots for dual channel mode (normally they're colour coded).

Tbh, if you're still having trouble, post your full specs

Last edited:
I have 2 1gig Ram chips, I can boot with 1 in only, however, it needs to be in the first of the 4 slots, otherwise screen stayed black for a minute so I decided to put it into the first slot again.

I dont have an usb stick either, tomorrow my gf visits me and she´ll bring me a cd so it will be fine.

I never overclocked anything so the voltages should be standard.

I had this EXACT same problem with the gfx-card bartio send me :P
All i did was unplug the gpu from the videocard and start pc, had a loud long peep from my mobo then.
Shut it off, plugged cable in card again and all was fixed :uhh:

I had this EXACT same problem with the gfx-card bartio send me :P
All i did was unplug the gpu from the videocard and start pc, had a loud long peep from my mobo then.
Shut it off, plugged cable in card again and all was fixed :uhh:

unplug gpu from videocard ?? u mean take it out of the slot?

Zip + post your crash minidump.

start->run-> %windir%\Minidump [enter]

Locate the last one or two dmp files and zip them, post as an attachment here.

Just out of curiousity, is it the BFG version? I heard there were some BSOD problems with an earlier shipment of the 8800gt's from that manufacturer, no idea if that's related as I think that fault was fixed in their succeeding shipments. Either way I have a BFG 8800GT waiting for the rest of my new PC, so I'm just wondering :p: