New Computer(?)

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Lex_Mortis

Not here
Sep 2, 2002
The Netherlands
Because of my current computer getting weird and shitty, I think I need a new one..

I've been pretty much out of the loop when it comes to hardware, so I hardly know which Gcard or so is good or not.... so I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

Since I'm a gamer I need a nice gaming rig.. some dutch shop has this as a pre-built gamer rig:

- Behuizing NoRRoD Midi ATX zwar
- Fortron 400 watt ATX voeding
- Asus MBA A8N-E AMD S939
- Crucial 1Gb DDR PC3200 400Mhz
- Crucial 512MB DDR PC3200 400Mh
- AMD Athlon64 3500+ S939
- Asus VGA 7300GS 256Mb PCI-E
- HDD 250Gb 7200rpm SATA II 8Mb
- NEC 3550 DVD +/- Rewr 16x ZW
- Systeemassemblage
- MS Windows XP Home NL
- Install OS software
- Delivery
€ 1.005,00

I did change some things like more ram, hd and higher cpu.

I dont know how good that Gcard is... or how this entire system is if you look at the price for it.

Since I'm a student I cant spend too much.. around 1000e is my max. How good/bad is this system? Know other (dutch) shops which are good? etc etc...

Any help/input is appreciated. :)

drop the 512MB ram-stick and get a better graphics-card for the money, definately.
and you might not want the XP home thing, get Pro if you can (its way better).

hey lex,what do u think about this system:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ `San Diego`
ASROCK 939DUAL-SATA II PCI-E Motherboard
NVIDIA PCI-e GeForce 7300 GS 256MB GF
250GB SATA HD 7200rpm 8MB MAXTOR 6Y250M
1024MB GSKILL DDR RAM 400 MHz
16x LG 4167 MULTI plus & minus DualLayer DVD-WRITER

price: 589.00 euro, including send costs. This store also gives 2 year garanty. They got fast deliver time too.

i bought my pc at this shop previous year, and i'm still content. Only thing u need is an OS, u need to find a window XP cd somewhere to install all, also download newest drivers and install them.

Considering the price, it is a big advantage, esp if u have some friends who got an OS for u ;)

http://ankermann-pc.com/nl/ is the site to the store, u can configure what u want basically

:lol: Neph...

Pro better than home? For what exactly?

Will he use ntbackup?
Will he need to join a domain, use gpos etc?
Will he need to access hidden shares on this pc, restrict file based permissions or use EFS?
Will he need to use multiple processors (answer: no)?
Will he need to use dynamic disks?
Will he need to use integrated facimilie?
Will he need to install iis / pws?
Will he need to use SNMP / Roaming?

For most people, those answers are no; and those are the only real difference between Home and Pro - there are no general performances advantages when choosing XP Pro over XP home.

got this, sms'ed you about the site:
Gigabyte GZ-FSCA1-AN Zilver
NEC DVD±RW brander, ND-3550A, 16x,
Norman IC, 1 year license Virus Control
Stootvrije PC doos
SoftThinks Installation/Recovery
EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra, nForce4 Ultra,ATX
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz Socket 939,
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250GB SATA2
Tagan 2force 480W, Dual Fan,
Corsair Value S. PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 OEM, NL
XFX GeForce 7300GS 256MB DDRII, 550Mhz,
Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Zilver
970€+transport
goes about 1000€ then
off course you can edit most of the options above

The Ge Force 7300GS is shit though!

If you want a gaming computer your choice of grafics card will be limited to:

Gf7600Gt (~200€) really fast mainstream card, and newest Direct3D support like the top models
Gf7900Gt (~300€) top model (about 1/3 faster than 7600Gt)

or if you want an ATI:
the X1800XT equals the 7900Gt and is about the same price.

(There are even faster models for around 500 € but those are overkill, and generally just higher clocked versions.

If 1000€ is your limit:

the ASUS A8N-E is good if you dont plan to overclock (~80€)
the Athlon 3700+ 2,2Ghz San Diego is what you want if youre not overclocking (~180€)
some cooler (~10€)
1Gb DDR400 Ram, the brand doesnt really matter (~100€)
Gf7600Gt (~200€)
---------
570€

This leaves you enough spare money, for a case, PSU, floppy, DVD, HDD

PSU should be 400W, unless you use loads of HDD's and PCI cards.

Last edited:
[QUOTE='//3iRd(o)]:lol: Neph...

Pro better than home? For what exactly?

Will he use ntbackup?
Will he need to join a domain, use gpos etc?
Will he need to access hidden shares on this pc, restrict file based permissions or use EFS?
Will he need to use multiple processors (answer: no)?
Will he need to use dynamic disks?
Will he need to use integrated facimilie?
Will he need to install iis / pws?
Will he need to use SNMP / Roaming?

For most people, those answers are no; and those are the only real difference between Home and Pro - there are no general performances advantages when choosing XP Pro over XP home.[/QUOTE]
exactly my pov.

Suprsingly the Home version has a bad reputation without any real reason imo.
Why buying for features you won't use anyway? :confused:

The only useful features for home users could be:
- the NTFS security settings for folders
- enhanced restriction possibilties for local users
- maybe the IIS, for guys who make web proggies with older Visual Studio versions 2002 or 2003 (2005 has it's own deployment ASP server integrated, so even Home users can develop ASP sites)
- and the possibity to add the client to a domain ( i doubt that many have an own domain at home, but maybe for those who go to big LAN-Parties)

but those points aren't so important to justify this price difference imo.

Oh and jsut for the record: You can use many Pro-features with the Home edition anyway, if you know how to install them. :P
Other features can be uses or atleast substituted aswell, but i cba searching for those solutions .:P

i found myself also not able to login on a system with home xp using remote desktop :confused:

btw, i think my system is best price quality performance

i mean omd, look at those prices of the graphic cards mentioned above, i mean ask urself, u rlly gonna use that? for most of them and pci-express there arent rlly games that use it atm, soon to come.

Last edited:
[QUOTE='//3iRd(o)]XP-ad[/QUOTE]
yeah I know, basically I'm just fed up with XP Home as it was a PITA when I had to do some administration work on some computers in a network of some organisation here in town, they all had Home and the local user management was utter crap (I'm used to win2k, mind you). It might just be personal antipathy, I simply dont like it ;)

Your own "bad experience" is not a good reason to tell someone to spend ~60€ (or however much it costs) to upgrade to Pro, when that money could be used to put towards another Gb of RAM! :P

Biebel said:
mean omd, look at those prices of the graphic cards mentioned above, i mean ask urself, u rlly gonna use that? for most of them and pci-express there arent rlly games that use it atm, soon to come.

Your mentioned Gf 7300 GS

is by far less worthy of its 70€ than a 7600 Gt of 7900 Gt of their prices!
the 7300 Gs cant handle today's games properly.

A new graphics card shouldnt give ~30 fps in 1024x768 in current games.:lol:
Because then you spend those 70€ every half a year:P
a 7900Gt will be highly satisfying for at least 2 years IMO

well weirdo, maybe he already has XP Pro on his computer and can continue to use that? I dont care where he gets it from really :p:

Lotsa replies, cheers guys.

Btw, a few more questions:
Amd or Intel? (right now im considering AMD simply due to the price)
Ati or Nvidia? (i dont have a preference..)
Should I go 64bits or not? Something I hear people bitch they cant run some game due to 64bits shit, how far do possible issues go with that?

rgr lex, i'm still content about this vendor. He sells his pc's also on ebay, so u could take a look at some replies from customers there.