New Assault map needs testing

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

sobo said:
the key is not to make the round high poly objects meshes but to make nicely looking levels without over-extensive use of round surfaces.

"stat fps" in console can help you, a good polycount to live with is maximum of 300, meshes should be avoided in fighting areas.

Yes lol that is the key huh? Not an easy task though.

first step could be making round brushes not 20 sided (or how many you may have) but only 6 or 8 sided.. in general try to use simpler geometry. as for other complicated brushed that you used solid adds for (one of the walls I noticed) its better to either reduce their shape detail or build them up from smaller individual brushes.
using that you should also be familiar with using semisolids in the right place (havent had a look at that tbh)
I posted this in fragnbrag's thread:
sobo said:
Remember this is not the Unreal Warfare engine and its not based on static meshes or other large high poly objects. Its dependent on CSG.

Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) is a technique for defining a detailed space by building it up gradually with simple shapes. This is what the Unreal Engine uses to define the basic Unreal World.

One of the big differences between making maps for Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2003 is that far less CSG is used to create its levels. In a UT2003 map, space is hollowed out (and occasionally added) of the solid world using CSG and then populated using Static Meshes.
I use to work with Subtracts and Adds as long possible and use Semisolids only for brushes that it makes sense for.

on a last note Im probably not the right one to help you out with gameplay but im trying my share on the framerate side :)

Reactions: Hardcore
Thanks for the addition comments sobo. Very good.

Well November 20th is fastly approaching and I wanted to Thank you all for taking a look at my map and helping me find and fix the problem areas!

You all will be remembered in the help file. The cronstructive criticism offered to me here was above and beyond what I expected. Good job to all.

Now it's up to me to put these ideas to work in the map. The release date is nov 20th for the CTC Tribute Pack volume 2 so you can see the new improved version when it comes out. I will come back and post a link when it gets released for those interested.

Again...THANK YOU! Time is such a precious commodity and to give it to help others is a wonderful trait. Seldom seen and seldom noticed. Even if this map never gets played online it will be better for the comments made here.
A good bot match is still a good thing. Have fun you guys and if I ever do another assault map I will know where to come and next time I won't have time constraints so we can brainstorm til it is really perfect. But until then...thanks and go frag something.!!!!

--Tex-

Reactions: Martz
Martz said:
Nice to see the help in here for the new guy :]

Congrats on your map.

That's what impressed me so much was that no one knows me here and all the great ideas and feedback was still given. Very nice place you got here. I had to post over and over to get any attention but here I got attention right away. And with the deadline approaching that was exactly what I needed and all the suggestions will be looked into and the changes will be made. I hope that this map will be fun even if it's offline but I will endeavor to make it possible to play online with your fancy schmancy rocket launching techniques as well. The frame rate is my only real concern. I will do my best to get it to play as fast as possible with no lag. We will see what happens next lol

-Tex-

I have another beta out if any who got the first beta are interested. The deadline for the paks release was moved back to NOV.30th woohoo for me and this map. I double dare ya to rocketlaunch yourself to an advantage this time. Okay there is still a way to bypass a few objectives but I just thought of it. lol wait a sec..nope you cant get past an objective. Nope you cant. I triple dare you.

The3 download does NOT include the two texture packages needed to run this map to save download time..Anc.utx and CTCASSAULT.utx which are the same as first beta. If you still have those files you can run map.

Tell me what you think....nov. 30th is coming fast.

--Tex--

EDIT::: OOps, I forgot the link duh.

http://www.texasgtarbrown.com/unreal/finalbeta.html

Dang it. Some one just tested the file and it is missing a u file. I swear I embedded that file in mylevel..but it's not there now. Here is the TEXsTORK2.u file it needs.

Attachments

• TEXsTORK2.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: